2007 GT in need of tire suggestions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

2007 GT in need of current tire suggestions

Recently I picked up a 2007 GT with only 8k miles to replace a totaled 06. Unfortunately the tires are original and I guess should be replaced.

I searched and didn't find much on what people were using for tires (brand, model, and size) on their stock 17x8 wheels to fill the wheel wells a bit better. Most posts are very old. Not really interested in changing wheels. I'm leaning towards the Goodyear Eagle F1's, Goodyear Eagle Sport, General G-max AS-5, and possibly Nitto's. I live in Texas and we use the Mustang as a DD. Not worried about snow/ice, but want excellent wet/dry traction. So many tires to choose from...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3590MS-full.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	604677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0072.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	604685  

Last edited by 07redstang; 08-04-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I don't like going down the well beaten path, so I'm running 4 of these, 235/55R17 99W Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, from TIRE RACK, and I am very happy with them. They're summer tires, sticky in the dry with excellent wet traction. Believe me, in Florida, wet traction and hydroplaning resistance is critical. I have experienced conditions that prove out the MFG claims many times over. Summer tires have shorter tread life than all season tires. Mine are a year old, and no noticeable tread wear without a measuring device.

The above tires were installed after the picture below was taken. Shown in the picture are all season Firehawks on the rear and nearly worn out generic tires on the front.

I have those rotary shaver wheels on my 2005 GT from the factory. I would not try and force any wider tires on those wheels than 235/55 17's simply for the sake of looks. It's not worth the extra money, and you won't fill up those airplane hanger wheel wells much better. And besides, they will look stuffed on anyway. Also, you need to stay within 0.25 inches of the 27.2 inch +- design overall tire diameter.

For wider without the weirdness of too flexy sidewalls, you'll want to go to at least 9" wide wheels on the front, and 10" on the rear with tires sized to fit and within the tire diameter programmed into your speedometer. Then, you'll be way closer to the fender lip.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tire.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	604681   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151219_155706705.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	604683  

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I ordered the P235 55 17 Goodyear Asymmetric F1 AS tires from Discount Tire. I'll have them installed tomorrow. Had 1 of the Perellis go flat today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Eagle_F1_Asymmetric_All_Season_2614.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	604823  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07redstang View Post
I ordered the P235 55 17 Goodyear Asymmetric F1 AS tires from Discount Tire. I'll have them installed tomorrow. Had 1 of the Perellis go flat today.
Thank you for your business. Please post up a photo when you get them mounted if you don't mind.

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discount tire View Post
Thank you for your business. Please post up a photo when you get them mounted if you don't mind.
Well, the tires arrived at my local store with a manufacture date of 2012, not acceptable. Still in the hunt as the Goodyears are unobtainable in a timely manner. So now ordered Pirellis P Zero all season plus. should be here Monday. Can't believe no one stocks P235 55 17's in a quality tire around here.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Got the Pirelli P Zero All Season plus installed. Don't know how they feel as it was raining very hard on the way home. I'll take it out tomorrow when its dry. On a side note, the reason I went and changed tires is because one of the 12 year old tires blew out. It did no damage to the wheel or the car. Reading over the Pirelli warranty, there is no time limit on manufacturers defects. They replaced the tire for free since it only had 9k miles on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page