Continental Extreme contact All Season - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Continental Extreme contact All Season

Curious if anyone else has been disappointed with upgrading to these or if my expectations were just too high for an all season. I replaced the Goodyear eagle 235's that came stock with the continental extreme contacts 275's on the rear and expected better grip. So far I don't see any difference and they still brake loose on my even with traction control still on. I'm not even talking about punching it off the line either. Something as simple as backing out of a parking space, putting it in D and aggressively pushing the gas (not flooring it) and I'm breaking loose. Not seeing the worth in the extra money to put these on yet. So is it me expecting to much or are the tires just not worth the upgrade price?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

I think you might be expecting results you maybe shouldn't expect in this situation. Bigger tires are not always better regardless of price.

For the worst weather, best traction and best mileage I have Conti DWS 235/50 ZR 18 on factory wheels. They sit in the garage most of the year unless the snowman cometh.

For show and and go I have the same brand Conti DWS60 in offset sizes currently installed. 255/45 ZR 18 front and 275/40ZR 18 on the back. (Makes me feel faster) Its just my preference to run with the offsets.

In my situation, off-sets don't outperform the 235's even though they are the same tire brand, and I presume the same compound. I paid more for the off-set tire and even invested in wheels but I actually get better traction & performance with the less wide 235's on wet, and dry pavement as well as assorted road surface textures (bumpy, smooth, rough, etc).

Ever see State Troopers running 275s or offsets? Typical tire size on the Chargers are 225 for the V6 and 245 wide for the V8. Better handling and performance.

Discount, Expert, Tire Rack, Firestone outlets make our lives complicated.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold

Last edited by ONEZ ST; 12-26-2018 at 08:12 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018
PONY Member

But the high performance Hellcat Charger comes with 275s.

I think your problem stems from the fact you are using an all season tires (or better named no season). This type of tire is a compromise in all conditions to give you a passable tire in all conditions.

Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

True, all season 275 tires. But the wider footprint doesn't make it handle better in wet conditions.

But then again what would a performance car with a $1700 guzzler tax look like with a smaller footprint.

----------------------------
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Garage
Yeah I never expected them to perform better then the performance summer tires. I just expected them to be better then the stock Goodyear based on the ratings. Also expected the wider staggered setup to get better traction especially on dry road conditions. So far they seem about the same. Maybe on the strip they shave a few tenths of a second but in real world I don't notice a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page