Mustang 2010 Vibration at 60mph - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy Mustang 2010 Vibration at 60mph

I have a 2010 V6 mustang with American Muscle 19" staggered wheels. I have been experiencing vibration while driving at 60mph.

I took my car to several dealers and workshops but none of them were able to fix the issue. I did get the wheels balanced and aligned. I even took the rings from the studs, but unable to get rid of the vibration.

Someone suggested I should get hub centric rings, but after some research I found out that Mustang's hub are around 70.5 mm in diameter and the AMR wheels are hub centric. I don't have to use hub rings as there is a difference of around 0.01mm.

I am really not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagar View Post
I have a 2010 V6 mustang with American Muscle 19" staggered wheels. I have been experiencing vibration while driving at 60mph.

I took my car to several dealers and workshops but none of them were able to fix the issue. I did get the wheels balanced and aligned. I even took the rings from the studs, but unable to get rid of the vibration.

Someone suggested I should get hub centric rings, but after some research I found out that Mustang's hub are around 70.5 mm in diameter and the AMR wheels are hub centric. I don't have to use hub rings as there is a difference of around 0.01mm.

I am really not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated.

Dagar! Yikes! I'm sorry to hear about this! This is definitely out of the ordinary and I'd like to get these wheels replaced for you! Can you please shoot me a PM with your order number and I'm more than happy to have this fixed for you!

Alex

Alex Lazarus | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 1-866-363-4591 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 9AM-5:30PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
Free Same-Day Shipping!
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014
Apprentice

This is funny, I have a 2010 GT with 19s from AM and I too have the same exact issue at the same MPH. It goes away above 70 and isn't noticeable until 60.

I had them rebalanced again and it still does the same thing. I gave up, doesn't bother me since I rarely drive on the freeway and I just speed up past 60 if I do.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmpwr07 View Post
This is funny, I have a 2010 GT with 19s from AM and I too have the same exact issue at the same MPH. It goes away above 70 and isn't noticeable until 60.

I had them rebalanced again and it still does the same thing. I gave up, doesn't bother me since I rarely drive on the freeway and I just speed up past 60 if I do.
I tried ignoring it, but the car vibrates like crazy. Seems like there is a problem with the wheels. I took my car to workshops so many times and have spent a lot on diagnosis fee thinking there is something wrong with my car.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014
GT Member

Personally, I don't think it's the wheels but hey, that's just me. Put the stock wheels back on and I bet it doesn't vibrate. I got new wheels (not from AM) and they vibrated. Took back, got road force balance, seemed to help but still shook the seats, said it needed a new tire, then took back again for balance (no charge this time). Still vibrated, they then said it was my "Chinese tires". They were off brand tires. Wrote it off as that being the issue. Got new tires, guess what, still vibrates. OP does it do it worse when its hot? I don't think the Electronic steering likes anything other than the stock wheels. That's my opinion only from my experience.

2012 black on black GT Premium Auto 6R80 - 400A
20 x 8.5" AR Torq Thrust M - BMR springs & Koni str.t shocks - GT500 mounts - J&M LCAs - CHE reloc brackets - J&M panhard - General GMAX AS3 - GT500 axel backs (no resonators) - GT500 spoiler - MMD tail light trim - Roush side splitters - AM upper/lower billet grill - Bama 93v2R tune - Airade CAI
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014
Apprentice

Not a huge commenter here but since I have/had this problem I wanted to assist.

Ordered a 19x8.5 wheel and tire kit from AM almost a year ago, upgrading from 18s. The wheels weren't balanced properly from the start, and I went to five different shops in two states for balancing. None of them could get it done. The vibration was both in the steering wheel and the body. Thought it might be bad LCA bushings (read this online, might be possible for you) so I replaced the LCAs as a whole and still had vibration. You might want to replace the bushings anyway because mine were already cracked.

Actually I'm gonna skip over the part where I had to go through a grand total of 11 of these wheels. It was a literal nightmare. But I wasn't the only one who took a financial loss, since AM sent most of the new wheels to me for free.

Overall, two of the wheels were determined defective, so you'll want to take it somewhere that can tell you if a wheel is bent. At one of the many trips to the dealer, I asked for them to check if my balljoints/tie rods needed replacing. Those checked out fine, but they told me (FINALLY) that I had a bad tire in the front right. So they rotated my tires as normal and viola - the steering wheel vibration was gone. Even after replacing the bad tire, the driveline vibration still persists. I had to confirm that buying a new tire accomplished something, so I re-rotated my tires just to see if the steering wheel would vibrate again (which would indicate that one wheel/tire was still off). Everything pretty much checked out.

So now, since its only driveline vibration, I'm about to swap out my driveshaft for a one piece aluminum because I suspect a bad u-joint or center bearing. I actually tried to do this today but sadly lacked the necessary tools.

Feels like I wrote a jumbled mess so sorry. It's just really bizarre because the wheels and tires are completely fine now. It's like putting them on my car also caused the driveshaft to go bad. Here's the short version:
- if you have steering vibration, rotate your tires (individually, if you can) to pinpoint the issue
- get balljoints and tie rods inspected
- wheels can be bent
- tires can be defective. Didn't think it was something I'd ever experience but I did
- LCA bushings cause driveline vibration for some people, didn't change anything for me
- if you put the old wheels on and there's suddenly a vibration, I'd suggest some driveshaft work

2010 Red Candy GT - So Far: Airaid Race CAI + BAMA Tune, Pypes Violator Axle-backs, Daytime Running Lamp Turn Signal Module, GT/CS Spoiler, Hood Scoop
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014
Site Sponsor

Dagar-

Replied to your PM! Help is on the way!

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmpwr07 View Post

jdmpwr07-Yikes! Sorry to hear about that! I can't have that on my conscience-I'm more than happy to have someone reach out to you if you'd like! Shoot me a PM with your name/email and a good phone number and I'll get you some help!

Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014
Apprentice

PM'ed you back Alex.

2009 Chevrolet Corvette
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016
Rookie

2010 Mustang GT 19" STAGGERED AM WHEELS

I am having the same issues I purchased American Muscle wheels (19" charcoal amr) a year ago and have been having vibration problems ever since. I can notice the seats shaking at around 30-40mph and at 60-80mph aggressive steering vibration, so bad if I let go of the steering wheel I would lose control of the car "and yes I took those brake rotor retainer clips off." I had over 15 road force balances. $30.00 each time to be exact and have purchased 8 tires total. Due to going to various mechanics saying it might be the tires or the balance is off. After multiple balances and tires being changed around I put the stock tires and rims back on and the vibration was gone. So I called AM and absolutely no help what so ever. They told me unless I had proof the wheels are the problem they would not do anything about it. I am extremely disappointed with American Muscle for not helping what so ever.
Site Sponsor

J - Replied to your thread here - https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ibrations.html

I'm going to keep everything over there so we're not posting in 2 different places.

I shot you an email and we're going to have these replaced today once I'm able to establish the address you'd like them shipped to along with covering the mount and balance on the new set.

Alex

Free Same-Day Shipping!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
american muscle , american muscle wheels , amr , vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page