What have your experiences been with various brands? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

What have your experiences been with various brands?

I need to get new tires on my Mustang. I currently have 235/50ZR18's Pirelli on it. I'm in the Central Valley in CA. I don't drive in the snow or deal with ice. I don't want to spend a fortune on tires.

What has given you the best overall experience in terms of milage and performance? What has given the best performance? Looking at the BF Goodrich G-force. All opinions and suggestions are welcome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016
PONY Member

Garage
I am quite happy with my Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
They are a bit expensive, but you definitely get what you pay for. I have about 30k miles, a drag strip rental with 12 or so passes with burnouts, a day of autocross, and two road course track days on them. Still have a fair bit of tread left, I could probably stretch them through the rest of summer if I didn't do more track days. They are fantastic in the rain even when half worn out. The only thing they don't like is cold, which you shouldn't have to worry too much about in CA.
Continental DW tires are about 80% of the MPSS for about 60-70% of the price, so they are worth a look as well.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

What have your experiences been with various brands?

Go with Michelin if you can afford em. If not, Nitto's are a good second choice. Goodyear equals bad year.
You'll generally get more mileage out of an all season but you sacrifice some grip. The higher end tire the less grip you sacrifice. I'm pleased with nitto motovo's which are an all season that I have on my DD. The grip is pretty impressive at high speeds and they're pretty quiet. My mustang has nitto nt555's which aren't an all season. They'll take me to the limit of my driving skills. However, you can't rotate them because they're a unitread. You can only go front to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 90lxwhite; 05-10-2016 at 07:36 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

You can rotate the nitro front to rear only. If you go the same size front and rear. They are a directional tire. Personally I love my Goodyear F1 supercars. Same tire the gt500 use to come with on the S197. The price can't be beat. Spirited driving rain or shine. Drag strip and road course. My favorite being the F1 GS D3. That tire took anything I threw at it. Even a rain soaked puddle ridden road course felt almost dry. The Michelin and Nitto are a good choice as well. Just standing up for the Goodyear negativity. I've had well over 20 tires on this car at 50k. From the Oe. To snow tires. Drag radials and ultra performance. Stick with a good rated top brand usually won't go wrong.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016
SHELBY GT 350 Member

If it's a DD and the tire doesn't have a tread life warranty I'm taking a pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016
BOSS Member

IMHO....... I would avoid Michelin, Firestone & BFG like the plague....tread cap separation, sidewall blowouts, excessive wear issues are all commonplace with BFG & Michelin subsidiaries.....it’s not consistent but seem to "rotate" from product line to product line. Michelin dropped the orange oil marketing last year after they initiated a 100,000 tire recall ordered/agreed to by the feds..............Yokohama like the other mfg began incorporating the "orange oil" in their tires but not anywhere near what Michelin did.....

I had been running BFG’s on everything going back to the late 70’s (yes, the square block tread pattern T/A’s) until the mid-90’s…..that is when (IIHM) Michelin began inducing design and compound changes in the BFG brand……tire wear was progressively terrible (25% of what I was getting- same vehicle, same driving conditions), and then switched to Yokohama Sports…they were very close to BFG T/A’s and excellent wear again. I have been running Yokohamas on my Mark LT (YK 520's past 4 years) & wife’s 1997Cougar Sport V8 (YK 580's for 2 years) and ran the Avid V4's for about 8 years prior to that (yeah same set) they are an incredible durable wet/dry traction tire....the ride and handling & quietness reminds you of the Michelins of 30 years ago....very solid grip, very good steering feel that is almost road race type performance feel/input but without the typical heavy steering - I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say here.....
not a single failure to date.....even found a 5/16" diameter bolt about 3/4" long in my wife’s tire one day...I just knew it was going to leak when I pulled it & was all ready, but it did not penetrate the core....that is one tough tire.

IMHO, check out Yokohama YK580- Yokohama is headquartered in Fullerton Ca, - discount tire/america tire company is the specific distributor for this line......130 mph rating, 60k warranty.....they handle as good as you can get IMHO without going to a comp type tire! Very good but firm (not harsh) responsive ride, excellent traction, and handling- yes I have tried out the mountain roads and they are very good!

very well known...just Google....you will see all the recalls (complaints & failures) over the past 2 years.........here's just a few that we could pick out it just 5 minutes..........................

Michelin recalling 841,000 BFGoodrich, Uniroyal tires
Michelin recalling 841,000 BFGoodrich, Uniroyal tires - CNN.com

Michelin recalls 77,000 tires for safety problem
http://news.yahoo.com/michelin-recal...--finance.html

the tire maker is recalling BFGoodrich Commercial T/A A/S and Uniroyal Laredo HD/H tires sold in the U.S., Canada and Mexico.
http://www.tirebusiness.com/article/...SSUE/307309981

Michelin Recalls 799,900 Tires For Tread Belt Separation
Michelin Recalls 799,900 Tires For Tread Belt Separation AutoGuide.com News

Michelin Recalls Pilot Sport Extra Load Tires

December 31, 2005
Michelin North America has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Transport Canada that it is recalling approximately 6,500 Michelin Pilot Sport 255/35ZR20 97Y Extra Load tires in the United States and Canada.

Michelin—225/70 R15 100S LTX A/T TL Tires
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/953676

Michelin, Honda settle lawsuit over costly Odyssey runflats
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/01/m...ssey-runflats/

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016
PONY Member

Garage
Most of those michelin posts are from 2012 or 2005-2006... Definitely not recent. Most of those tires models aren't sold anymore.

Also how can you suggest a tire with a 130mph rating on a car with a factory speed limiter set at 155? I'd bet some 3.31 cars get close to 130 in 4th gear...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-14-2016
Rookie

I know you will all think I am crazy........ But, I have almost 179,000 on a 2013 V6 with the 19"s. Spirited driving and the occasional track day.
I am now on my 5th set of tires and have found that the General GMax AS03 gave me the same grip as the factory Pirelli Summer Only tires and were a pleasure to drive in the snow or rain. We drive the car about 200 miles a day and never stopped, even when we had 6" of snow.
That being said, I also liked the BFG Comp 2 AS, but they did not seem to handle road debris as well as the Generals.
I now have a set of Nexen N5000 on and they are quieter and smoother, but have not had them on a track yet.

Life limits that I have seen
Pirelli PZero - 35K
General Gmax - 45-50K
BFG Comp2 - 40K
Nexen N5000 - only have about 4k on them now.

In the end, make an informed decision, and hope for the best.

All Ford family.
2005 F250 6.0 238,xxx miles and counting
2007 Focus ZX3 279,xxx miles and counting
2013 GHIG V6 Performance Package 6MT 173,xxx miles and counting
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2016 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well, I went with the BF Goodrich G force comp 2. From what I read they had the best grip ratings in dry conditions for the PRICE. Yes, there are tire options that will give better grip but the price really starts to sky rocket. That said I was looking for something that had better grip then the Pirelli P Zero which was it came with. The BF Goodrich G Force Comp 2 received better scores/ratings then the P-zero.

I decided I was not overly concerned with tread life. It does not seem to matter which tires I put on a car. I tend to use them up in the 30,000 mile range or worse if it's really soft/low quality tire. I like lateral G's and pushing the car hard in the corners frequently just seems to burn up the tread.

I did not get all season tires, I thought about it but decided to pass. I live in the Central Valley in CA the coldest it gets here is around 30 degrees give or take a few degrees and only for a few days a year. It's basically Sunny here April-October. With some rain from November-March. Having these tires just means I'll have to slow down and be more cautious when it does rain. But I feel they'll meet my needs.

I plan to use the accelerometer later this week and test the Lateral G's. I'd like to see if these new tires will beat what I managed to get with the Peril's on it.
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Most of those michelin posts are from 2012 or 2005-2006... Definitely not recent. Most of those tires models aren't sold anymore.

Also how can you suggest a tire with a 130mph rating on a car with a factory speed limiter set at 155? I'd bet some 3.31 cars get close to 130 in 4th gear...

reading is fundamental......to start with, those series of tires come with different speed ratings, second.....just because the speedo says 140 doesn't mean with car's limiter will allow that and 3rd, ah, I won't go on.........................

Flatheads ain't so bad!
BOSS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Most of those michelin posts are from 2012 or 2005-2006... Definitely not recent. Most of those tires models aren't sold anymore....
Just because the tire lines name have been dropped, do you really think the QA issues don't exists across the board? ....and just take a look a what other countries (such as Venezuela, etc.) have done because of faulty tire design to these same exec's........jailed them, revoked their passports, etc.

The QA issues with Pirelli are just now beginning to become substantial....1 shown years ago when Hanford was shut down and production was outsourced, now that the Chinese have purchased it (a couple of years ago now), the complaints are rising....let's look at Michelin and their higher end tires.......many of the Porsche owners are ticked off...the replacement tires (although the same line) for the oem tires are crap...their words exactly....wear, wet traction, feel...all substandard compared to what came on them from the oe.....the dealers are recommending other brands ....and the Michelin subsidiaries are not on the list...............

Flatheads ain't so bad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page