Nitto NT555 G2 tire review - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Nitto NT555 G2 tire review

Hi Everyone,

So, Iíll start with some background on my car. Itís a 2014 GT 6-speed manual trans with eibach pro-
street S coilovers, fays2 watts-link, AMR 18X9 wheels and rear adjustable control arms. This car is
currently my daily driver, my commute is 50 miles/day and all the normal weekend stuff. I donít
normally do track days in this car, as I have a dedicated track car (miata). So for the setup and use of the
car, I chose the Nitto NT555 G2 tire ultra-high performance summer tires in 255/45/18 to replace my OE
all season tires. Iíll break down what I thought about the tires after 12000 miles of driving in the various
situations listed below.

Dry, warm conditions (50-90 degrees F)
This is probably where the tire is most happy, itís a summer tire and as youíd expect it performs
exceptionally well in summer conditions. I live in Southern California, so we have summer conditions all
year. This tire grips so much better than OE that itís difficult to even compare. So I decided to use the
freeway on-ramp (exceptionally short and comes at the end of a tight left turn). At corner exit on the
OE tires, my traction control would go nuts at anything more than 60% throttle in 3rd. With the Nittos, I
could go nearly full throttle without traction control complaining. My freeway off-ramp near work is a
270 degree turn with mild banking, you can really just coast from 75 down to 45 and merge comfortably
into the surface street without ever touching the brakes (like I had to with the OE tires).

Rain (SoCal extreme, Ö so like very mild everywhere else)

So this year weíve actually had a little bit of rain here in SoCal, so I actually got to drive in wet weather in
summer tires. Iíll start by saying you need to SLOW DOWN, increase following distance and generally be
easier on the throttle. This car has 420hp, itís more than enough to break the tires loose in 1 st -3 rd gear.
With that said, I never had problems keeping up or even leading traffic at times. These tires arenít really
designed for wet weather, but if you get caught out in an unsuspected rainstorm, youíll probably be able
to make it home safely.

Track day (Button Willow CW13):
Like I mentioned before, I already have a dedicated track car, this is supposed to be my daily driver. So
in April, I took my Mustang out for itís first track day. My best lap of the day was a 2:14 on Harryís lap
timer. I was being overly cautious as this is my only means of street legal transport. Overall I was very
pleased with the experience, drove over 100 miles to the track in relative comfort, did a total of 60
minutes on track and drove home with no drama at all. The tires warn you audibly when youíre close to
their limit, the squeal gets progressively louder until they finally lose grip. These tires are absolutely the
perfect tire for the track day bro with only one car. Theyíre quiet and comfortable on the street but still
aggressive enough on track to run decent lap times all day long.

So after the time Iíve spent on these tires, I have to say theyíre worth every penny. Theyíre actually
some of the least expensive tires in the category ($160/tire) and they still have plenty of meat on them
after all the abuse Iíve laid on them. At 12000 miles the wear is even and I think theyíll be able to go
another 20000 miles with ease.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang 1.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	886.3 KB
ID:	519954  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-26-2016
Apprentice

Thanks for the review. Had the original Nitto NT555's and I like them. How's the sidewalls of your G2's? I plan on getting this tire soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page