2002 mustang cobra wheels - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 02CBRA

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

2002 mustang cobra wheels

Hi all. I have an Aussie imported 2002 Mustang Cobra and when I bought it the wheels were California rims and 18". They sit too far inside the guards. For now I used spacers to try and fill the guards out more. What I need t know from you all, is what 18" wheel offset dimensions will fill my guards without using wheel spacers? Thanks in advance....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01%20Cobra%20Wheel.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	533082   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151206_183525.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	632.3 KB
ID:	533090  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016
Apprentice
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02CBRA View Post
Hi all. I have an Aussie imported 2002 Mustang Cobra and when I bought it the wheels were California rims and 18". They sit too far inside the guards. For now I used spacers to try and fill the guards out more. What I need t know from you all, is what 18" wheel offset dimensions will fill my guards without using wheel spacers? Thanks in advance....
I'm a little confused??? I previously owned a 2003 SVT Cobra and was under the impression there wasn't a 2002 Cobra model???

The Sonic Blue Terminator I owed had the stock 17" wheels but I needed to run a 1" rear spacer to appropriately bring them out flush with the fenders. The 2000 Cobra R had 18's from the factory. IMO, using a 1" spacer is really no biggie as long as the spacer is of good quality, hub-centric and installed properly. On my bolt on 2003, I made anywhere from 480 to 520 HP at the wheels depending on the particular dyno. She also seen at least 30 hard trips down the 1/4 with no wheel spacer failure issues.

I guess your question regarding wheel offset depends on a couple of things. A real Cobra of that vintage (with IRS) would need a different offset than a Cobra clone with solid rear axle. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the inside fenders on a Cobra had different dimensions than the average run of the mill Mustangs. Not much difference mind you but it was a slight difference never the less.

Take a look at the factory offset for a 2000 Cobra R that run the 18" rims. IMO, this vehicle had a much better stance/look than the other IRS equipped Cobras from 99-04 that ran the 17" wheels.

Later...Dave

Previous Mustangs include:
1989 GT 5.0/347 Stroker Convert 5 speed 3.73:1(296/363 HP/TQ)
2003 Cobra 4.6/SC Coupe 6 speed 3.55:1(466/479 HP/TQ)
Current Mustang:
2012 V6 3.7 Base 6 Speed Auto 3.31:1, 93 SCT Tune, BBK 73 mm TB, AEM Dry Flow Filter, Airaid Modular Intake Tube, FR X-Pipe, Resonators Delete, Trident Axle Back, Saleen PJ Edition Exhaust Tips, Aluminum Driveshaft, 5.0 Wheels/Tires/Body Parts, Roush Upper Grille, CDC Decklid Panel, Blacked Out 1/4 Panels, No badges, Reische T-stat
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks Dave. Will look into it.
sct2003 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page