Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What color and tooth count driven speedo gear do I need to use in a ‘95 GT with a T5 and a 3.31 rear gear?
When I had 3.73’s I used a white drive gear with the oem driven gear. The end result was a chewed up driven gear because the white doesn’t quite mesh. I find conflicting info online. Do I need an 8 count driven gear? What color? I have the “correct” (I think) drive gear for 3.27/3.31. I changed it when i went to 3.31 from 3.73 but it still reads way high. I thnk the driven gear is messed up. I can’t remember what color drive gear it has in it now, but it’s not the white one.
Thanks

·
Registered
631 Posts
A 7t and a 19t would've gotten you close as well. You sure your T5 doesn't come with an 8t drive gear as is? my 90 did and i thought they switched over to the 8t around then.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A 7t and a 19t would've gotten you close as well. You sure your T5 doesn't come with an 8t drive gear as is? my 90 did and i thought they switched over to the 8t around then.
Yeah It has the original gear inside the trans and I think it’s the 8 tooth variety. But... It’s now f’d up due to the white driven gear that I used when I put 3.73’s in. When I went to 3.31 I got a red drive gear but the speedo still reads how it read with the white one. With 3.73’s and the white drive gear the speedo was close for a short period of time and then it got pretty far off again. I’m assuming the ill-fitting white gear chewed up the oem driven gear in the trans.
It’s not that big of a deal since it’s not a daily driver but I working speedo would be alright. If I’m keeping up with traffic on the hwy it’ll read somewhere around 90 mph. It feels like 90 mph as well because it’s low and loud but it’s not anywhere close to that. 18 wheelers are sometimes on my tail when it says I’m doing 90 ha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts