Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my car was running fine, I decided to clean the upper intake manifold, put it back on and the car had a hard time starting (5 mins or so). Once it got running, it revved fine (black smoke though), but on the street it would lope and stall. 24 hours later it wont start on its own without starter fluid. Once it starts is stalls with ANY throttle input. Im stumped.http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/images/smilies/shrug03.gif

No CEL. My research tells me its either a fuel pump issue (dont see how it all of a sudden happened) or its the fuel rail pressure sensor (leaning more towards this since i was working right there by it. I dont think i have a fuel pressure regulator, but i could be wrong. Any ideas, or testing procedures so i dont have to purchase parts i dont need?

I dont know acronyms so please avoid them.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
One thing that would be good to do is go back and check all the vacuum lines, that would cause the rough idling/loping if one was not sealed

Then go back over everything you touched while doing this to make sure you didn't accidentily forget to plug in a sensor or something

Always best to double check everything before you throw parts at it

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
**update**

Ok so heres whats new:

I have made no positive progress. I purchased from Ford a new FRPS for $130, put it on and it still wouldn't start. Went and got a fuel pressure tester; when priming it was about 30psi but very slowly dropped to 20 after about 1 min. When cranking the pressure was constant at 42psi, still no starting though.

I went back and re did everything, the only thing i noticed that i missed was some sort of sensor the is placed behind the spark distributer ( i had bolted it to the front instead on the back between the spark distributer and the intake where it anchors - still no start). Other than that i saw no missed sensor or pinched wires, nothing.

Pulled some codes, there were about 4 (but they got cleared before i could write them down) i remember something about the FRPS and the fuel sys circuitry, maybe saying something like it was high voltage? Anyways i ran some other test off the reader, some things that were "not ready" were the evaporative sys, the o2 sensor, and the h20 sensor.

For whatever reason the codes are not coming back up. I literally checked every fuse in the cab and under the hood. I disconnected the batter and all, still no more codes. Is there some sort of reset i can do on the computer or anything?

I did recall the first time i took off the intake, i DID NOT disconnect the battery. The reason i took it off was because my after market air filter had fallen off for who knows hows long, and the intake piping was dirty up to the throttle body, so i figured the rest would be too (and i was right... though it wasnt too thick of gunk, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch in places).

So is there any reason for me disconnecting all those sensors without disconnecting the battery first to cause all this mess? What about when i cleaned the lower intake, i used a wire brush and carb cleaner (still on engine), i saw some soft of port in each intake, could i have damaged them or something?

What really sucks is the car was running just fine and started well too before i took off the intake.

I really dont want to have to pay for towing and have a huge bill for some stupid little thing... itll be the first time its been in the shop. It just hit 150k.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts