Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my buddy's '01 Cobra not supercharged (K&N intake and offroad X-pipe) and i wasnt really impressed. He drove my 95 5.0 mods making 310 rwhp. We got on this straight road and (no cars in sight) he got in the outside lane and i got on the inside. hes driving my car and im driving his. we both kick and i try and keep up but he slowy pulls away and he get about a car length on me and i had his car floored but i just couldnt get back up with him. I know his car supposedly has about 330 hp, but it just didnt feel like the power was there I honestly felt like my car was the obvious faster car.. We decided it would too close to call though, so we'll be goin to the drag strip soon. Why was i so disappointed? does his car weigh more or what is it? I thought his car would be throwin me back in my seat in every gear but it just didnt do that. it wasnt really the driving because the cars really drove about the same as far as the changing of gears and clutch and such. I honestly felt like i was taking a step down from my car when i was driving his. But i didnt have the heart to tell him that, he knew though he really didnt saw much about it, he acted liker he was kind of embarrassed. He asked me if i was flooring it on that straight away and i was like dude i gave it everything it had, he was like "oh". He admitted to me thought that my car pulled a hell of a lot more in 4th than his did ( i have the 3.73's and he has the 3.55's) i paid $5000 for my car just like it is today from one of my other friends except for i added the 3.73 gears, but my friend rebuilt the motor and added all of the other mods, so i got a good deal. And my buddy paid about $22000 for his 01 Cobra. Crazy aint it.:yakyak:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm sure your 5.0 had a major torque advantage over his 4.6. Plus, I'm sure the gears (even though it was just the difference between 3.73's and 3.55's) make a big difference too. Be happy you have the better car though, lol

·
Registered
977 Posts
Your car has more power with its mods, pure and simple. He paid more money because his car is newer and a Cobra. An off-road h-pipe and air filter is not going to give his car much. The gears, 3.55, doesn't help much with his engine either. Being that I've owned both a 95 Mustang GTS and a newer Cobra, I would say he still has the better car. My supercharged, h/c/i 95 was faster than my Cobra as well.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i am sure that both of the stangs are sweet, but i would rather have the Cobra...with some more simple mods i think it will beat the '95

·
Registered
122 Posts
The 01 Cobra is rated at 320. If you have 310 RWHP you probably have more HP at the wheels + more torque.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 01 Cobra is rated at 320. If you have 310 RWHP you probably have more HP at the wheels + more torque

Yes i know this and trust me i have the 310 rwhp. I bought the car from a friend who rebuilt the 5.0 at 108000 miles and ported pollished heads and everything else possible he said to squeeze more hp out of it and then ofcourse he added all the mods(bolt-ons) and he told me it was making about 305 to 315 at the wheels and i believe him. I have beat SRT4's, civics, havent lost to any other Gt's,and a few Z28's. im not trying to say how good it is, im just saying trust me the HP is there. I was just kind of surprised by all of this. I mean it was a Cobra, ofcourse it was an '01 but still.

·
Registered
977 Posts
[QUOTE='95yellowGT]Yes i know this and trust me i have the 310 rwhp. I bought the car from a friend who rebuilt the 5.0 at 108000 miles and ported pollished heads and everything else possible he said to squeeze more hp out of it and then ofcourse he added all the mods(bolt-ons) and he told me it was making about 305 to 315 at the wheels and i believe him. I have beat SRT4's, civics, havent lost to any other Gt's,and a few Z28's. im not trying to say how good it is, im just saying trust me the HP is there. I was just kind of surprised by all of this. I mean it was a Cobra, ofcourse it was an '01 but still.[/QUOTE]

Why surprised? You know of course any car can be made fast. A 75 Pinto could be made to smoke many a car. I've seen it at the track. Wonder if he was surprised how he could have beat my h/c/i modern mustang (back in 98). If you want a challenge, go to the track and you will find some serious cars that will impress.

·
Registered
736 Posts
If you want to be impressed take the cars to a road course.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh i not saying there isnt any cars that impress me. I was just kind of disappointed in his car, i mean i know it is only an '01 Cobra but still it has that COBRA name, so i was just kind of expecting a little more. i know a guy with an '03 Cobra, pulley and belt change on the supercharger, diablo chip, X pipe with some kind of muffer, and he is putting about 450 at the wheels. So i know there are cars out there are just insanely awesome. you guys know that sense of pride you get when you win a race, get a good time at the track, or when you drive someone else's car that you think will beat yours and your like this thing hasnt got anything on mine. I just got that feeling from all of this. That's all I'm saying.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I drove a 98 cobra, it was stock except x pipe and exhaust. I didn't like how it always sounded like you had your foot in its ass. They rev so freely and high, as well as thats were they make there power high in the rpm band. What I did like was shifting at 7000+rpm compared to my 2v 6000 rpm shifts. It spun the tires so hard from 1st to second. I definately know on a road course where you need to rev high those things have to be awesome. But with a stock gear, driving around in the city they can feel sluggish.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Wait a second, you are basing your cars speed based on what the guy before sold said ? People will do almost anything to get their car sold, which includes never ending loads of ********.

Have you taken it to the track ?

Do you know for a fact, what parts it has added to it ? Sorry to say but the stock heads on 5.0's suck and porting and polishing dont add up to 300+ rwhp. It is possible to machine the heads for bigger valves and port them, but at that point it's still cast iron and you can get a much better, lighter, free flowing aluminum head for that price.

I'm sure your 5.0 had a major torque advantage over his 4.6. Plus, I'm sure the gears (even though it was just the difference between 3.73's and 3.55's) make a big difference too. Be happy you have the better car though, lol
Where do you get your information ? That 32 valve 4.6L makes 30 more torque than a 5.0 does. It is not accurate to do 5.0 > 4.6 = 4.6 less torque.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 32V 4.6L motor doesn't have the same kinda torque that the pushrod motors do. You gotta get put a set of gears in that Cobra (4.10s probably) to get the kinda torque punch that the 5.0 would have.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Doesnt have the same kind of torque? Torque is torque no matter how you slice it. The 32v is just smoother accellerating and not to abrupt like it can feel like in 5.0's.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The torque is different between the 302 16V pushrod and the 280.8 dohc 32v v8's. One the engine obviously have more cubes which allows it to have more torque sooner. And the head and intake design is to make peek torque at a lower rpm than the 32v. So even with the 32v having a higher torque rating, it also comes at a higher rpm, so you don't feel the power as you would with the 302 as soon. 4:10 or even 4:30's have been know to give that car what it needs if you can get use to revving a v8 at cruising speeds which was hard for me going from a 5.0 to a 4.6.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First of all the guy who sold me the car was one of my good friends and i know what the car can do trust me and that is why i bought it. Second,there is way done to the car than just ported and poillished heads which are the stock 5.0 heads and are better than you obviously give them credit for( do u drive a chevy or something). motor totally rebuilt, E cam, headers, hypertech chip, underdrive pulleys, CAI, msd ignition, x-pipe, mac mufflers, ppp throttle body, 3.73 gears. And im not here to defend my car thats not what this whole post was even about. the post was about my car compared to an 01 Cobra and how i wasnt impressed with it. and oh yeh mr.ghost doq the 5.0 does have more low end torque. i ran a 9.1 in a 1/8th just last thursday. So i guess what ur saying is that my car is not as powerful as i say it is even though i have proved it....and if it's true that my car isn't that fast, then what does it say for the 01 cobra that couldnt keep up with it.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
[QUOTE='95yellowGT]First of all the guy who sold me the car was one of my good friends and i know what the car can do trust me and that is why i bought it. Second,there is way done to the car than just ported and poillished heads which are the stock 5.0 heads and are better than you obviously give them credit for( do u drive a chevy or something). motor totally rebuilt, E cam, headers, hypertech chip, underdrive pulleys, CAI, msd ignition, x-pipe, mac mufflers, ppp throttle body, 3.73 gears. And im not here to defend my car thats not what this whole post was even about. the post was about my car compared to an 01 Cobra and how i wasnt impressed with it. and oh yeh mr.ghost doq the 5.0 does have more low end torque. i ran a 9.1 in a 1/8th just last thursday. So i guess what ur saying is that my car is not as powerful as i say it is even though i have proved it....and if it's true that my car isn't that fast, then what does it say for the 01 cobra that couldnt keep up with it.[/QUOTE]

I drive a 5.0 , daily. I have driven with stock heads (E7), GT40p cast iron heads (F7), and with these Trickflow trackheat ported heads.

A 9.1 1/8th mile is equivelant to a 14.3 second quarter. If you were going to be at 310 rwhp you would be running approx 12.8 @ 3280 lbs in the quarter. With a 14.3 second quarter @ 3280 lbs is approximately 220 hp. Much less than 310.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/AFM_Tech/Calculators___Decoders/

·
Registered
736 Posts
[QUOTE='95yellowGT]First of all the guy who sold me the car was one of my good friends and i know what the car can do trust me and that is why i bought it. Second,there is way done to the car than just ported and poillished heads which are the stock 5.0 heads and are better than you obviously give them credit for( do u drive a chevy or something). motor totally rebuilt, E cam, headers, hypertech chip, underdrive pulleys, CAI, msd ignition, x-pipe, mac mufflers, ppp throttle body, 3.73 gears. And im not here to defend my car thats not what this whole post was even about. the post was about my car compared to an 01 Cobra and how i wasnt impressed with it. and oh yeh mr.ghost doq the 5.0 does have more low end torque. i ran a 9.1 in a 1/8th just last thursday. So i guess what ur saying is that my car is not as powerful as i say it is even though i have proved it....and if it's true that my car isn't that fast, then what does it say for the 01 cobra that couldnt keep up with it.[/QUOTE]

There must be something wrong with your friend's car then. When my 97' Cobra was completely down to the bone stock, I ran 8.9's @81.5mph in 100* weather. That was with 2.1 60's (crappy khumo's and crappy track and crappy driver) It dynoed at 261rwhp/260rwtq. If I remember correctly I was still in 2nd gear when I passed the traps, or shifting into 3rd. Your friend's car should have 15-20 more hp and torque than I did. I'm not saying you didn't beat him because there are a million variables when cars race. I'm just saying all unknown variables set aside, he should have beat you.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 9.1 "I" ran was the first time that i had taken it to the track and lets just say i spun a lil more than i should have. the person i bought the car from was running high 8's and no he didnt tell me that, i saw it happen because i use to would go with him back when it was his car. So that is not really a reliable thing to go by. There is nothing wrong with my friends car trust me. he runs 8.6-8.7 consistently...........running a track time has a lot more variables involves in it than how much hp you have........i know a guy with an '03 cobra 450rwhp and he usually runs in the high 7's but a few times back he ran an 8.5 beacuse he spun all the way down the track( bad runs happen guys)....i have another friend with an 02 gt full boltons and 3.73's and i beat him on a consistent basis. so you guys can say whatever, i drive the car and you guys dont. And if ur saying i only have 220 hp you really be smacked in the face man:winks . There is a guy who runs at a track near my house who has basically the same setup as me but with 4.10's and an edelbrock intake who runs 12.6 in the 1/4. And ghost dog if you dont mind me saying you approximate things way to much and use way to many numbers on how things should happen... this is what i go by lets line up on the street and then slam on the gas thats how you know what your car has, you dont find out what your car is all about until you clam a few victories on the STREET!!

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
The track, where dillusion ends and reality begins. You run as fast as your car goes or as bad as you drive. Excuses are like assholes man, everyone has them. A 450 rwhp cobra spinning all the way down the track ? That's a major sign of a bad driver, not only a bad run.

If you are confident that you have as much power as you say you do, take it to a dyno. I bet you would be very surprised. 5.0's made 225 hp at the crank, not the wheels.

Do you think I never open my car up or race anyone ?

But 310 rwhp, comeon man that is like 350 hp at the crank. That is like what my car has with $1400 ported heads high flowing heads the rest of the trickflow parts to boot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
[QUOTE='95yellowGT]I drove my buddy's '01 Cobra not supercharged (K&N intake and offroad X-pipe) and i wasnt really impressed. He drove my 95 5.0 mods making 310 rwhp. We got on this straight road and (no cars in sight) he got in the outside lane and i got on the inside. hes driving my car and im driving his. we both kick and i try and keep up but he slowy pulls away and he get about a car length on me and i had his car floored but i just couldnt get back up with him. I know his car supposedly has about 330 hp, but it just didnt feel like the power was there I honestly felt like my car was the obvious faster car.. We decided it would too close to call though, so we'll be goin to the drag strip soon. Why was i so disappointed? does his car weigh more or what is it? I thought his car would be throwin me back in my seat in every gear but it just didnt do that. it wasnt really the driving because the cars really drove about the same as far as the changing of gears and clutch and such. I honestly felt like i was taking a step down from my car when i was driving his. But i didnt have the heart to tell him that, he knew though he really didnt saw much about it, he acted liker he was kind of embarrassed. He asked me if i was flooring it on that straight away and i was like dude i gave it everything it had, he was like "oh". He admitted to me thought that my car pulled a hell of a lot more in 4th than his did ( i have the 3.73's and he has the 3.55's) i paid $5000 for my car just like it is today from one of my other friends except for i added the 3.73 gears, but my friend rebuilt the motor and added all of the other mods, so i got a good deal. And my buddy paid about $22000 for his 01 Cobra. Crazy aint it.:yakyak:[/QUOTE]
are we supposed to be surprised by this outcome?? you make 310 to the wheels and he is probably making around 285 to the wheels. plus your car is lighter. you weren't impressed because your car is faster. try an 01 cobra stock and then a 95 gt stock and then talk to me.:naughty

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.