Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My thermostat went and i replaced it but didnt bleed all the air out and the engine over heated. i brought it to the ford dealer and they said i had a lower engine knock and needed a new engine its a 01 cobra engine with dual overhead cams. it burning oil when i start it up. i got a estamate for 8 thousand dollars for a new ford motor would that be the best way to go or is their any other options that cost less money. the car has 40,000 miles on it.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AFM! $8,000 sounds excessive for an engine replacement but I don't live in the SVT world so I don't know. Let me move this to the SVT sections here and see what the guys and gals there think.
Thanks for joining... we'll get you figured out!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
for $8k you can prob get the engine and tranny out of an 03-04 cobra. the engine for your car should be no more than $5k, ive even seen mach 1 motors for $3k. it sucks that this happened man, but ive heard of that issue of not bleeding the motor properly will cause this to happen. i bleeded mine for half an hour when i put in my new radiator just to make sure there was no air whatsoever.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Don't give Ford $8K, hell you could have John at Modular Peformance build you a fricken Badass Stroker 4V for half that price! I'd ask around local forums about the best Stang performance shop in your area to diagnose your issues, Ford wants to make the most money plus they didn't even suggest new rods and pistons while retaining the stock block and crank? They want you to just junk a perfectly fine foundation and pay full retail for a replacement? Get it outta there! Lower engine knock?:laugh:
Here's what I'd do, go right up to the service manager and say "WHY WASN'T I OFFERED A REMANUFACTURED 03/04 COBRA LONGBLOCK WITH THE 05 REVISION HEADS?" If they say that costs $8K SUE THEM!"
You could even get a Ford Racing Aluminator for that! Give the guy your dealing with a link to this thread and I'll tell his sorry ass off!:yup:

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
yeah bro, get that car the hell out of there, for $8K, you could sell the car and buy another one...just get a new shortblock from MMR or Ebay, have someone install it and drive away

·
Registered
299 Posts
I use to work at my local ford dealer... THEY ARE A BUNCH OF A-HOLES..... 2many and brutal have the right ideas!! either look for a salvaged 03/04 and swap that motor out or look for a bran new long block on ebay or mmr +1!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts