Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all-
Just picked up a 01 Mineral Grey GT auto, and the previous owner changed the gearing, and it is unknown what it is. The car came with a Diablo Predator tuner also, no manual of course.
I need to change the gears-seems when they switched it took away the OD, which is what I need for the daily freeway commute. I was thinking of going back to stock, or anything that will give me a low RPM at cruising speeds. Currently at around 70 MPH it runs 2700-2800 RPM. It seems to shift out of first at or under 10 MPH, which is really annoying. Can anybody help me with what stock gearing is, and what would be recommended for good mileage and low RPMs at freeway speeds?
Called local dealers, and am getting quotes of $1400-$2500 to go back to stock gearing, which seems like a raping if I ever saw one. Looks like I can get the gears and new bearings for $250-$275-I can't see $1200 in labor costs..am I wrong? I am mechanically challenged, so there is no way I can do it.
Is anybody in Phoenix that can recommend someone to me? Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,096 Posts
i dont want to sound like a jackass, but is the O/D button off? lol, stock gears for mustangs are 3.27.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/608.shtml
use that, find o ut what your 1,2,3,4th gears are on the tranny, input them and find out for example what your rpm at 60 is and put 60 for mph and start changing the gearing from 3.27,3.55,3.73,3.90,4.10,4.30.
and see where the rpms match the speed for what you have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Mine dosenst shift into OD everyonce in a while and i have to push the shifter towand neutral until it shifts into O/D. I finnaly got of my butt and while installing my new exhaust I adjusted the bracket on the tranny and that fixed it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,579 Posts
If you're worried about gas mileage, you should have bought a Honda.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no-the O/D button is not off...I can still shut it off, and then the RPM's get way up there. It just seems like I lost the O/D because the RPM's are higher that what I think they should be-maybe I should have worded that better.
To the people that posted-thank you for your input.

Monkey boy-thanks for your insightful opinion-not that I asked for it. I asked a gearing question...and I get your reply about buying a Honda for better gas mileage. Amazing.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
iflyhi22002 said:
Hey all-
Just picked up a 01 Mineral Grey GT auto, and the previous owner changed the gearing, and it is unknown what it is. The car came with a Diablo Predator tuner also, no manual of course.
I need to change the gears-seems when they switched it took away the OD, which is what I need for the daily freeway commute. I was thinking of going back to stock, or anything that will give me a low RPM at cruising speeds. Currently at around 70 MPH it runs 2700-2800 RPM. It seems to shift out of first at or under 10 MPH, which is really annoying. Can anybody help me with what stock gearing is, and what would be recommended for good mileage and low RPMs at freeway speeds?
Called local dealers, and am getting quotes of $1400-$2500 to go back to stock gearing, which seems like a raping if I ever saw one. Looks like I can get the gears and new bearings for $250-$275-I can't see $1200 in labor costs..am I wrong? I am mechanically challenged, so there is no way I can do it.
Is anybody in Phoenix that can recommend someone to me? Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.


First off, congrats on your purchase. It sounds like you may have a set of 3.55s or 3.73s in there. My car runs at 3k rpm at 80mph with a 4.10 rear end.

I think they came with 2.72s with the automatics stock.

Your swap back should cost you no more than 5-600 bucks with parts and labor. The Diablo tuner you have should put things back to stock for you with an easy "plug and play" series of questions. If this does not work, you may have to spring for a new tuner. The hypertech tuner I have worked well for me.

Hope this helps a little.

Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jason-
Mine runs about 3000 RPM at 80 also, I am thinking there is a set of 4.10's in it. I just found a local shop that will do it for around $600. AMP Performance in Phoenix-forget the dealers...way too high!
Thanks for the reply-
Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,579 Posts
iflyhi22002 said:
no-the O/D button is not off...I can still shut it off, and then the RPM's get way up there. It just seems like I lost the O/D because the RPM's are higher that what I think they should be-maybe I should have worded that better.
To the people that posted-thank you for your input.

Monkey boy-thanks for your insightful opinion-not that I asked for it. I asked a gearing question...and I get your reply about buying a Honda for better gas mileage. Amazing.....
I just get aggravated when someone buys a performance car and then proceeds to do something that reduces its performance. Just a pet-peeve I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Monkey Boy said:
I just get aggravated when someone buys a performance car and then proceeds to do something that reduces its performance. Just a pet-peeve I guess.
I'm not reducing it's performance if you would read the post. I am just trying to get the gearing back close to stock for constant freeway driving. As far as performance, I am planning on putting a KB on it in the future...hopefully 6 months or so. If I wanted reduced performance, I would of bought a...gulp...V6......
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top