Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy cow, lined up against one of those new HEMI Chargers and won. Beat him twice light to light, both times by about 1.5 car lengths at around 80. Was still pulling away when we had to shut down. Not sure why I beat him I have a bone stock 01 auto GT (just got it give me time), according to all the articles the HEMI was supposed to be faster, and yes I checked the fender for the HEMI emblem. Maybe he left the A/C on or something, but it felt good to beat a dodge:laughlitt

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
jjandascog said:
Holy cow, lined up against one of those new HEMI Chargers and won. Beat him twice light to light, both times by about 1.5 car lengths at around 80. Was still pulling away when we had to shut down. Not sure why I beat him I have a bone stock 01 auto GT (just got it give me time), according to all the articles the HEMI was supposed to be faster, and yes I checked the fender for the HEMI emblem. Maybe he left the A/C on or something, but it felt good to beat a dodge:laughlitt
You're sure he was racing? Either way, congrats to you...sucks for him:laughlitt

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah he was, on the second race he even torqued up before the light changed to green

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Congrats in that case! But how can he torque up...charger's only come in auto. So he dropped it into neutral and then threw it into drive or something?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Left it in drive and raised the rpm, that is how I launch my auto also. Maybe that is old school, but in high school at the drags we always did that figured that is how you are supposed to launch an auto. Those of us who saved up enough money to afford a trans-brake really could torque up. I am still suprised but like I said maybe he had the A/C on or something

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
You shouldn't be surprised, IMO they are slow. I can't believe how many dunderheads try to say different.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
C/D TEST RESULTS
ACCELERATION: Seconds
Zero to 30 mph: 2.2
40 mph: 3.1
50 mph: 4.3
60 mph: 5.6
70 mph: 7.1
80 mph: 9.2
90 mph: 11.4
100 mph: 13.9
110 mph: 16.7
120 mph: 20.8
130 mph: 26.0
140 mph: 32.6
Street start, 5-60 mph: 5.8
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 2.8
50-70 mph: 3.5
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.2 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 145 mph

They say that becase they are supposed to be fast, got the above from the car and driver web site. But then again it is a Dodge, might have just gotten scared:)

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
jjandascog said:
Left it in drive and raised the rpm, that is how I launch my auto also. Maybe that is old school, but in high school at the drags we always did that figured that is how you are supposed to launch an auto. Those of us who saved up enough money to afford a trans-brake really could torque up. I am still suprised but like I said maybe he had the A/C on or something
That's not old school, powerbraking is the only way you can race with an automatic. hit the brakes push the throttle af far as it'll go without spinning, then let go of the brake and hit the gas at the same time.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
kscoyote said:
That's not old school, powerbraking is the only way you can race with an automatic. hit the brakes push the throttle af far as it'll go without spinning, then let go of the brake and hit the gas at the same time.
I have raced my car both ways, and my best time came flooring it of idle:shrug

·
Registered
179 Posts
jjandascog said:
They say that becase they are supposed to be fast, got the above from the car and driver web site. But then again it is a Dodge, might have just gotten scared:)
how the hell is the 0-60 faster than the 5-60 that doesn't make any sense at all...:eyebulge:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally Posted by ItsaV6iswear
how the hell is the 0-60 faster than the 5-60 that doesn't make any sense at all...
I think that the 0-60 times doesn't include any starting hesitation, the timmer starts when the car moves not when the gas is pressed but the 5-60 time has to take into account the lag between when they hit the gas and when the car starts moving. That is the only thing that I can think of because just about all the 5-60 times are a little slower that the 0-60 times on the cars they test.

Originally Posted by ran260GT
I have raced my car both ways, and my best time came flooring it of idle
I thinks that it all depends on the road, tires and stuff as to how your car launches the best.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsaV6iswear!
how the hell is the 0-60 faster than the 5-60 that doesn't make any sense at all...:eyebulge:

Its called momentum !
If it was momentum, then the 5-60 time would be faster

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
jjandascog said:
If it was momentum, then the 5-60 time would be faster
When they test cars 0-60 ,the timmer starts when the car starts accelerating , the car has momentum when it hits 5 mph to 60 MPH !

When you are doing 5mph steady there is no Momentum !
So when they test 5-60 , the test car is moving 5mph ,timmer is at 0sec , As sone as the car starts to accelerate , thats when the timmer starts !

They are two different tests !

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Also take the tests , 30-50 it takes 2.8
But when the car has momentum 30-50 takes 2.1sec !

Same with 50-70 , 50mph punch takes 3.5sec to get to 70mph but when the the car has a full head of steam , it take`s only 2.8sec to get from 50-70 !

·
Registered
63 Posts
0-60 times are always faster than 5-60's.

From 0, you have the advantage of brake-torquing an auto or feathering the clutch (or dumping @ rpm depending on car)

when you're going 5 already you can't do any of that, so the time is slower

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When they test cars 0-60 ,the timmer starts when the car starts accelerating , the car has momentum when it hits 5 mph to 60 MPH !

When you are doing 5mph steady there is no Momentum !
So when they test 5-60 , the test car is moving 5mph ,timmer is at 0sec , As sone as the car starts to accelerate , thats when the timmer starts !
Ahh, that is probably how they do it but still the car does have momentum b/c it has mass and velocity at 5mph. At the start it does not have any momentum. It probably has more to do with the launch b/c you get an impact force (holy cow I sound like an engineer) at the start and as alkaline3 says you can feather the throttle. Either way the 0-60 are always faster.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
jjandascog said:
Ahh, that is probably how they do it but still the car does have momentum b/c it has mass and velocity at 5mph. At the start it does not have any momentum. It probably has more to do with the launch b/c you get an impact force (holy cow I sound like an engineer) at the start and as alkaline3 says you can feather the throttle. Either way the 0-60 are always faster.
Your wright , wrong wording one my part , yes the car has momentum at 5mph but the timmer is at 0sec , as sone as the car accelerates ,thats when the car is timmed !

·
Registered
179 Posts
didn't read all the posts before posting this.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.