Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a misefire on cylinder two ive checked the coil, fuel injector, and plug what else could it be that making it misefire... it doesnt misfire all the time but its making me mad lol anything will help thanks guys:laugh:

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
How did you check the COP and fuel injector? These are normally difficult components for the home mechanic to "check" correctly.

Most of us have to resort to replacing them or swapping to a different cylinder to see if the problem follows the part.

The COP boot insulator could be bad allowing spark to escape. Autozone (Durlast) makes a set of (8) replacement COP boot insulators that cost less then a single replacement COP.

As for what else COULD cause a misfire, a base engine problem. Run a compression test and/or cylinder leak down test.

It's NOT excessive EGR flow as this would affect multiple cylinders. For the same reason, it not low fuel pressure.

Consider a fuel injector cleaning/flow test service such as injectorrx.com. Once cleaned, they are as good as new. Much cheaper than buying new.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
How did you check the COP and fuel injector? These are normally difficult components for the home mechanic to "check" correctly.

Most of us have to resort to replacing them or swapping to a different cylinder to see if the problem follows the part.

The COP boot insulator could be bad allowing spark to escape. Autozone (Durlast) makes a set of (8) replacement COP boot insulators that cost less then a single replacement COP.

As for what else COULD cause a misfire, a base engine problem. Run a compression test and/or cylinder leak down test.

It's NOT excessive EGR flow as this would affect multiple cylinders. For the same reason, it not low fuel pressure.

Consider a fuel injector cleaning/flow test service such as injectorrx.com. Once cleaned, they are as good as new. Much cheaper than buying new.
The first thing I'd do is this ^^^^^
Well, actually I'd check the gap on the plug. Then switch out that COP to another cylinder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
misfire

ive already bought 1 new coil for that cylinder and all new spark plugs ive already tried swapping the coil around and the injector but it still comes up as cylinder two misfire????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update

just wanted to throw in that when i got the car it had everything on the stock air intake but the filter and filter housing and it has been runnin like that for idk how long so when i got it like a month ago i put a filter on it but its not on right i just put that for now to try to keep any dirt going into the intake... will this maby causing my misfire???

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I'm not trying to insult your intelligence here, but I've seen this a few times.

What are you calling #2 looking at the engine?

I've seen people swap out buttloads of crap, only to figure out that Ford's way of numbering cylinders makes absolutely no sense, and they were swapping **** on the wrong cylinder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update i took off the plug for number two and it had like dirt on the thread like alot cold the dirt get in the plug cause of me not having a air filter on there??? and could that be the cause of the misfire??? please help :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts