Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 mustang with 80k miles on it. Everything was running fine with it last year then i got into a wreck and it sat for a year until i could get it back on the road. Well after a few days of driving it i noticed that my air conditioner would stop working after i had been driving my car for 5 minutes or so so i got it vacumed and filled but it still kept getting warm after a few minutes of driving. I then noticed that there was a wet spot under my passenger dash that was kind slippery. Finally I noticed that after my car is running for awhile it was overheating going all the way to right before the red on the gauges. I decided to do an experiment and took it for a drive until it got heated up and then i turned the heater on full blast and sure enough the temp. started to go down and got almost all the way back to normal operating temp. before i made it home. At first i was worried i had a blown head gasket or warped heads and that was the cause for over heating because when i changed my oil it did look like there was a little bit of water in the oil. However the more i think about it the water might just have been because the car sat in the same spot for a year and there was condensation. I have a feeling that the air conditioner is turning off because my car is over heating and the car is over heating because of a dead heater core however i have no experience with any of this. So please let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
you are quite correct, if the engine starts to overheat, it will shut off the A/C.. it sounds like your heater core is flowing well since turning on the heat cooled down the engine as it should.. im thinking sediment in the radiator causing low flow and poor engine cooling.. id have the system flushed and coolant replaced

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
A couple of things occur to me. Slippy fluid on the floor sounds like anti-freeze to me. This usually means the heater core is leaking.

Note, if the cooling level gets too low, air will get into the system. The air will collect at the top of the motor and for the V6 WILL NOT go away. The V6 WILL overheat unless all of the air is removed from the cooling system.

Also, when the heater STOPS blowing hot air, this is a sign there are air bubbles in the coolant.

How did you bleed the air from the cooling system? Check out:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/v6-tech/299481-1998-mustang-irregular-rpms-showing-hot.html#2604913

There are tons of causes for overheating. From a clogged/dirty radiator, bad cooling fan, low coolant level, bad head gasket, incorrect anti-freeze percent, bad pressure cap, bad water pump, and clogged exhaust. You have got to start somewhere and narrow down the list to determine why you motor is overheating.

+1 on above. The PCM will turn off the AC if the motor is running hot. As the temperature continues to goes up, the PCM will take timing out thus reducing power. Some models will even disable even/odd cylinders to control temperature. All of this protects the motor but also affects power output.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just took my car on a small trip to see if turning the heater on again would cool it off. This time when i turned the heater on it didn't blow out any hot air at all and it did not cool the operating temp. down

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is it likely that a bad heater core/ air in the cooling system is responsible for the over heating issue or is it more likely a blown head gasket? Either way i am somewhat worried about the cylinder heads since they are aluminum and can warp very easily.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
air in the cooling system is almost guaranteed to cause overheating, and a leaky heater core seems to me to be directly related to air in the system.. just dont let it overheat and you wont have a head warp/crack problem.. so definitely get the heater core problem fixed first then we'll see if you have any other problem like head gasket

1 - 6 of 6 Posts