Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright..., i know this has been asked before..., but who SHOULD win between an '05 and an '01? i know the '05 SHOULD, but i was racing my friend's, both of ours are auto, and we only raced to bout 50 from a roll of 10 cuz we couldn't catch a light. anyways, pretty even til a lil over 50 when he hit gear, and i think if we raced for a half second longer i may have pulled on him when i hit 60 cuz my car kinda dies a bit after 30 but when it hits 60 i think that's when the fun starts.

anyways, how much of a difference would taking out the rear seat and a CAI make? also, i forgot to turn the a/c off (stupid)..., and i'm not sure if TCS would make a difference, i was told that it does, but if it doesn't activate i dont see why it would.

also, bit off topic, but my friend is getting his '06 (premium package, so it has upgraded exhaust/intake from the factory) turbocharged in a few weeks, i think he said w/ 14psi of boost. he is running everything else stock right now, w/ an auto tranny. my question is:
a) how much power should he make w/ the turbo, he believed the company when they said 104% (yes, ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR PERCENT) over stock..., which i think is BS.
b) what whould he get to complement the turbo? i was thinking duals, a new CAI, porting the exhaust/intake, camshaft swap, and reflashing the stock ECU, forget anything?
c) would it be possible to beat a C6 w/ a reasonable amount of work? i say reasonable because this kid knows NOTHING (and i do mean nothing) about cars. i was thinking if he rips out his back and passenger seat, and gets rid of his jack/spare he would get somewhat close in weight (the C6 is an auto convertible i believe), but i also said he would need new tires (245/45 w/ light rims? compared to his stock 225/65 stock or whatever they are) and 3.73s in the rear w/ a T-Lok. suggestions?

thanks for yer time again.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
PancakeOfDoom said:
alright..., i know this has been asked before..., but who SHOULD win between an '05 and an '01? i know the '05 SHOULD, but i was racing my friend's, both of ours are auto, and we only raced to bout 50 from a roll of 10 cuz we couldn't catch a light. anyways, pretty even til a lil over 50 when he hit gear, and i think if we raced for a half second longer i may have pulled on him when i hit 60 cuz my car kinda dies a bit after 30 but when it hits 60 i think that's when the fun starts.

anyways, how much of a difference would taking out the rear seat and a CAI make? also, i forgot to turn the a/c off (stupid)..., and i'm not sure if TCS would make a difference, i was told that it does, but if it doesn't activate i dont see why it would.

also, bit off topic, but my friend is getting his '06 (premium package, so it has upgraded exhaust/intake from the factory) turbocharged in a few weeks, i think he said w/ 14psi of boost. he is running everything else stock right now, w/ an auto tranny. my question is:
a) how much power should he make w/ the turbo, he believed the company when they said 104% (yes, ONE HUNDRED AND FOUR PERCENT) over stock..., which i think is BS.
b) what whould he get to complement the turbo? i was thinking duals, a new CAI, porting the exhaust/intake, camshaft swap, and reflashing the stock ECU, forget anything?
c) would it be possible to beat a C6 w/ a reasonable amount of work? i say reasonable because this kid knows NOTHING (and i do mean nothing) about cars. i was thinking if he rips out his back and passenger seat, and gets rid of his jack/spare he would get somewhat close in weight (the C6 is an auto convertible i believe), but i also said he would need new tires (245/45 w/ light rims? compared to his stock 225/65 stock or whatever they are) and 3.73s in the rear w/ a T-Lok. suggestions?

He has an extra gear, but you're lighter. It's about even. The reason for the lag to 60 is that the computer doesn't allow you to rev out in 1st gear. It's also why the 0-60 time looks slow when compared to the 1/4 mile time in automatic 99-04 cars.

100 lbs = 0.1 approximately in the 1/4 mile, knocking out the rear seat will knock off .004 or so in the 1/4 mile. Taking out the spare and the rear seat will knock off .1 . ..

I don't think the premium has any better intake and exhaust, from what I've seen, it has a bunch more weight due to the leather, but the upgrades are to the tire/wheel combination, & swaybars, along with cosmetics.

Unless it's a mid production-year change I haven't heard of . . .

104% would be possible ONLY if he was running 104+ octane fuel, and had a pretty substantial change in the exhaust system, including some port work on the heads. Even at 14 psi, the restrictions would be too much and the pressure on the system would blow head gaskets, etc. the best I'd reckon with everything else being stock would be 80%, assuming the system comes with a pretty substantial intercooler. Even then, overheating might be a problem, hp=heat.

You could beat a C6, but at that range of performance, you'd have to swap out the cooling system, take 400 lbs off the car, preferably CF hood, trunk, hood, light weight front seats & rear seat delete + fiberglass or lighter fenders, spare removed + lightweight 3-piece wheels AND 500 hp meaning a good street cam + power adder & port & polish, & better innards, not to mention a rear end swap.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
PancakeOfDoom said:

TCS makes a bunch of difference, so does AC. both keep you from spinning the wheels to keep in the powerband.

RE: the c6 again, that car's got 400+ hp and weighs 2800 lbs. your car weighs 3050-3150 lbs. the new six weighs 32-3350+ lbs.

You're going to have an easier time slimming down to 2800 lbs and getting 400 hp, than the new six will.

That's just getting into the ballpark of power to weight ratio.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heh, alright, just relayed all that to my friend, it was actually almost word for word what i had already told him as far as beating the C6, he's givin up after the turbo cuz he's saving for a Gt500 for his sophomore year in college i think..., which makes sense to just save it up and wait.

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, btw, you said i cant rev out of 1st and that explains my lag, if i were to start out in 2nd then flip into drive after i get out of 1st and 2nd shouldn't i avoid that lag?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
kscoyote said:
He has an extra gear, but you're lighter. It's about even. The reason for the lag to 60 is that the computer doesn't allow you to rev out in 1st gear. It's also why the 0-60 time looks slow when compared to the 1/4 mile time in automatic 99-04 cars.

100 lbs = 0.1 approximately in the 1/4 mile, knocking out the rear seat will knock off .004 or so in the 1/4 mile. Taking out the spare and the rear seat will knock off .1 . ..

I don't think the premium has any better intake and exhaust, from what I've seen, it has a bunch more weight due to the leather, but the upgrades are to the tire/wheel combination, & swaybars, along with cosmetics.

Unless it's a mid production-year change I haven't heard of . . .

104% would be possible ONLY if he was running 104+ octane fuel, and had a pretty substantial change in the exhaust system, including some port work on the heads. Even at 14 psi, the restrictions would be too much and the pressure on the system would blow head gaskets, etc. the best I'd reckon with everything else being stock would be 80%, assuming the system comes with a pretty substantial intercooler. Even then, overheating might be a problem, hp=heat.

You could beat a C6, but at that range of performance, you'd have to swap out the cooling system, take 400 lbs off the car, preferably CF hood, trunk, hood, light weight front seats & rear seat delete + fiberglass or lighter fenders, spare removed + lightweight 3-piece wheels AND 500 hp meaning a good street cam + power adder & port & polish, & better innards, not to mention a rear end swap.
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the 80%. Most cars get an 80% increase with 9lbs of boost. 14lbs should give an increase of 100% or more. Of course he is going to have a good intercooler, he'll be pushing 14lbs of boost!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
PancakeOfDoom said:
oh, btw, you said i cant rev out of 1st and that explains my lag, if i were to start out in 2nd then flip into drive after i get out of 1st and 2nd shouldn't i avoid that lag?
no, and you can trap tranny fluid in the bands, you need a programmer to change the shift points.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
I'm going to have to disagree with you on the 80%. Most cars get an 80% increase with 9lbs of boost. 14lbs should give an increase of 100% or more. Of course he is going to have a good intercooler, he'll be pushing 14lbs of boost!
with the stock exhaust?

I know the turbo units are getting more efficient, but boost increases as you try to force more air in, it's an indicator of diminishing returns.

I'd have to see it on a completely stock 4.0L to believe it.

But I've been wrong before .. .

heck, even the purpose built WRX STI doesn't get 100%, neither does the EVO. although the EVO comes close!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so..., should i recommend that he go with true dual 2.5" exhaust?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
PancakeOfDoom said:
so..., should i recommend that he go with true dual 2.5" exhaust?
Only if he is going to add the turbo. If not, go with 2.25.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
kscoyote said:
with the stock exhaust?

I know the turbo units are getting more efficient, but boost increases as you try to force more air in, it's an indicator of diminishing returns.

I'd have to see it on a completely stock 4.0L to believe it.

But I've been wrong before .. .

heck, even the purpose built WRX STI doesn't get 100%, neither does the EVO. although the EVO comes close!
This may require more research. :gringreen

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
This may require more research. :gringreen
The regular 2.0L (not the 2.5L) Impreza has 160 hp, at 100% it would get 320 hp.

the 2.5L makes more power than the 2.0L, there's NO WAY it's 100%.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.