Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Explorer engine fit a 1998 Mustang GT?

Will a 2002 Ford Explorer engine fit into my 1998 Mustang GT?

R

·
0 Posts
yes it will, you'll need your front chain cover, oil pan & pic-up tube, PI intake and attaching parts, exhaust manifolds, block plate and maybe a few others things off yours.............

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just recently threw rod bearings in my 98 Gt and found a guy who is willing to let go of his 02 Explorer motor with 60000 miles on it and tells me it would be a strait swap. Is this true, it would just drop right in?

R

·
0 Posts
pretty much...... you'll need your front cover, oil pan, a PI intake, maybe a flywheel and a few other parts.........

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do you mean by front cover and wouldnt a PI engine come with a
PI intake?

R

·
0 Posts
what do you mean by front cover and wouldnt a PI engine come with a
PI intake?

the cars and trucks use different intakes, so you'll need a car PI intake mainfold...on the front cover, your 1998 Mustang has 2 "coil packs" and the Explorer has 8 Coil-On-Plugs (or COP's for short) so there is NO place to mount the coil pack mounting brackets on the truck front timing chain cover, so you'll have to swap it wth the one off your 1998.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok i got you. So its minor little things. ok, as far as the intake though cant i just use the intake thats on the motor already or is to big to clear the hood? Also, will the throttlebody on this one work with my throttle linkage?

R

·
0 Posts
I dont think the Mustang fuel rail will bolt-up in the same place as on the truck intake and the truck fuel rail has the feed line on the oppsite side, so it's of no use either and the thrttlbdy cable and brkt are different between the 2, so I dont know for sure if they'll hook-up either and there also might be an issue wth the alt brkt as to how it mounts to the alt and then to the intake.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So not only am i gonna need a PI intake but a fuel rail as well? Crap. Ok so this is gonna be a little bit more expenxive then i thought. You think its worth it?

R

·
0 Posts
no, wth a car PI intake you'll be able to re-use your fuel rails...only expense other than the engine and a car PI intake is some gaskets, o-rings, crank bolt, alt brkt, coolant tube and nipple.....

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I forgot those were aluminum... Yes thats a good upgrade for your ride. Move the battery to the trunk for even more weight off the front end. Are the internals basicly the same quality as a PI Gt engine?

R

·
0 Posts
well the Explorer uses a full floating piston pin which can free-up some HP and the Romeo engines in Mustangs did NOT have but 1999/2000 Windsor engines did, so that helps a little......heads and cams are the same as is the crank

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its the same heads cams and internals as the mustang engine of the same year? I thought they were built more for towing so they had different heads and cams geared for it. If you look up engine specs it shows its only a little bump up in the torque and horsepower ratings then the 98 GT motor that came with the car. Although i know your right when you say im droppin some weight. Those freakin iron blocks are heavy as hell.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Will the intake off of my 98 motor fit onto this motor or do i need to get pi intake, or do i need one at all?

·
Registered
13 Posts
You need a Mustang PI intake.

Question I have is...If you can use your '98 timing cover then which timing cover gaskets do you use? A '98 Mustang 4.6L or an '02 Mustang? I compared the part #'s and they are different (probably due to the PI heads on an '02).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts