Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, Currently I own a 02 Gt with 21K miles. I have exhaust, rims, etc... I was thinking of selling my GT and getting either a 99 or 01 Cobra. I just want there to be more power in the engine, not from forced induction. And if i kept my car and did new intake and heads etc, it would cost just about the same as to buy a cobra. What do you guys think of this idea, and has anyone ever ridden in a 99 01 cobra. Are they like noticebly faster, and i mean can you really tell that extra 60 hp is there. THANKS guys

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thats 60 HP stock over the GT. With a little modding you will get get much more. The Cobra's have 4v Engines and the HP gains from aftermarket parts are much better. Keep in mind aftermarket parts cost mor for the cobras. However you might also want to take into consideration who had the Cobra before and how many miles it has on it. Its always nice to have a car from when its brand new and not have to worry about parts that are bad when you buy used cars. I would stick with the GT and keep modding it. With that money you should buy some longtubes, pulleys, bigger gear ratio, bigger intake plenum, throttle body, Bigger MAS, and get your car dyno tuned. This would easly make some nice gains in your HP and torque department. How much more is this Cobra going to cost you?

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you look for N/A power, the 01 Cobra would definitely be a nice choice!

Me personally I would go with a 2003 Cobra because it has a Eaton M112 S/C, and a couple of relatively cheap mods will pump out 500 HP at the wheels.........

·
Registered
156 Posts
go with the cobra

I would go with the Cobra. They are for the most part are what I consider the top of the food chain with regard to mustangs. I drove a 99 cobra a few years back and the power from the stock motor is amazing. They have tons of potentail.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had the same question I was asking myself.. I chose my 04 GT, because of insurance, haha... that's a big part of it... and everyone is right they do respond better to mods... but a big reason (other then insurance) was that who had that car before it? When I got my 04' it only had 8k on it, barely broken in... so I wasn't worried - but that's something i'd be definatly worried about something that old considering it is a Cobra. I agree with GTstang... remember you'd start out on a new loan so while your payment might not change much - you lose all that money you've already spent on payments... It's a trade off really... Personally, the only 2 cars I would rather have then my 04 GT would be a terminator or a Mach... but thats me :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to buy my friends 01 cobra with 39K miles, full exhaust...kooks, prochamber, magnaflow, and it had gears for $16K. It just got hit severely 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
626 Posts
it just got hit? as in car accident? if it's an accident car - STAY AWAY. If it was a bad accident - that car won't be the same...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.