Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what the factory rev limiter setting on a 5 speed '02 GT is? Any idea what this might translate to (roughly) in MPH in fifth with stock gears? I have read on one of the car stats sites that the top speed for a 2002 Mustang GT is 139 MPH.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
JB02GT said:
Can anyone tell me what the factory rev limiter setting on a 5 speed '02 GT is? Any idea what this might translate to (roughly) in MPH in fifth with stock gears? I have read on one of the car stats sites that the top speed for a 2002 Mustang GT is 139 MPH.
The top speed for an 02 with stock gears is closer to 150mph.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
80 MPH @ 2400 RPM:

-> 200 MPH @ 6000 RPM (factory stock rev limiter, would need loooots of HP)
-> 139 MPH @ 4170 RPM (factory claimed top speed)

·
Banned
918 Posts
My 97 GT vert, when I had the 3.73's, reached 135 mph in 5th. I never tried it again when i had the 4.10's

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the info. From what I am gathering here, my GT should theoretically do most or all of what is on the speedometer (so that 150 isn't just there for looks). No speed governors, right, just rev limiters? Not that I plan on tearing down the Interstate at that kind of speed, it's just nice to know what the built-in limitations are.

·
Registered
701 Posts
JB02GT said:
Thanks everyone for the info. From what I am gathering here, my GT should theoretically do most or all of what is on the speedometer (so that 150 isn't just there for looks). No speed governors, right, just rev limiters? Not that I plan on tearing down the Interstate at that kind of speed, it's just nice to know what the built-in limitations are.
No, they actually do have a speed governor. That's how they came with the stock tune.
It is no big deal to remove that with a programmer, like the one from diablo sport.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I agree, try adjusting shift points. Shift between 5200 and 5500, also when you take off try not to spin at all, just kinda roll out of the hole then as traction permits gas it. Practice makes perfect! :happyhapp

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
engineer76 said:
No, they actually do have a speed governor. That's how they came with the stock tune.
It is no big deal to remove that with a programmer, like the one from diablo sport.
Okay. So what is the speed governed at? Sorry to keep asking these silly questions, but I searched the Internet for the better part of two days and did not find a definitive answer. Almost every car stats page I looked on gave different stock top speeds, different 0-60 times, different 1/4 mile times, etc. I will probably look for a drag strip around here next Spring or Summer to answer the 1/4 mile question specifically to myself and my car (not expecting too much - it will be my first time at the track), but will probably never have the chance to answer the top speed question for myself. Too much traffic and too many traffic cops even if I did want to try it. 100 to 110 on a deserted straightaway, maybe, but not much more than that. I like to have the acceleration/speed to get away from traffic situations where there is a really bad driver who I know is going to cause a wreck or a semi who seems to want nothing more than to run over me (which is what the quote in my sig. means), but I pretty much have to get my kicks on deserted country backroads where you can't do anywhere near those kind of speeds but the curves, hills, downshifting, etc. make up for it. Living in this area most of my life, I have had to learn to enjoy being 'plugged in' to what I am driving more than screaming high speeds, but I still like to know what the car is capable of.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The governor on my 2000 GT is set at 115 MPH.

I guess Ford kept it like that up thru 2004 models, so yours should be somewhere there too.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
engineer76 said:

I guess Ford kept it like that up thru 2004 models, so yours should be somewhere there too.
Did your car come with 16" wheels? I've had my 97 GT up to 147 mph, and to my knowledge it only has a rev limiter set at 6k. I do think if its an auto, vert, or had the 16"s then it may have one.

·
Registered
701 Posts
dollarbill said:
Did your car come with 16" wheels? I've had my 97 GT up to 147 mph, and to my knowledge it only has a rev limiter set at 6k. I do think if its an auto, vert, or had the 16"s then it may have one.
Yep! It's got all the bells and whistles, but it came with the ugly a$$ 16" ers.
Changed them to the 17" gun metal wheels.

G

·
The stock rev limiter was set at 6250 on my 02 GT. To my knowledge I never had a governer. I ran my car past 150mph without a chip in it. After I got the blower with 3.73's I actually pegged the speedo and watched my rpms continue to rise over 5k in fifth gear. I had to be doing 165 or 170 before I decided to let out of it. I was still gaining speed. (once I had the car tuned I set the governer to 255, that's the highest possible)

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
If the car came from the factory with 17's, it DOES NOT have a speed limiter! I took my 96 GT to 130mph with plenty left in her. The 17's came with Z rated rubber (rated for 150mph+) and the 16's came with H rated tires (115mph is the limit if I remember correctley). ONLY THE 16 INCH TIRED GT'S CAME WITH A SPEED LIMITER!!

If anyone disagrees, I fart in your general direction! :sterb:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Monkey Boy said:
If the car came from the factory with 17's, it DOES NOT have a speed limiter! I took my 96 GT to 130mph with plenty left in her. The 17's came with Z rated rubber (rated for 150mph+) and the 16's came with H rated tires (115mph is the limit if I remember correctley). ONLY THE 16 INCH TIRED GT'S CAME WITH A SPEED LIMITER!!

If anyone disagrees, I fart in your general direction! :sterb:
Mine has 17's, but I don't know for sure if they are factory since I bought the car used and there is no owner's manual. I think the 17's are probably factory since they are the Bullitt style wheels, but I suppose someone could have bought a set of those aftermarket. Guess the easiest way to know, if I can find an opportunity to 'safely' do it, is to see if I can get it over 115.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've had my 02 GT up over 140 before I started to run out of road. But Ive also heard that the speedo gets less acurrate the faster you go, so who knows.... At the same time, the rear wing started to go nuts right around 125 but it calmed down past that..... scared the $#@! out of me at first.... thought I broke something...

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
JB02GT said:
Mine has 17's, but I don't know for sure if they are factory since I bought the car used and there is no owner's manual. I think the 17's are probably factory since they are the Bullitt style wheels, but I suppose someone could have bought a set of those aftermarket. Guess the easiest way to know, if I can find an opportunity to 'safely' do it, is to see if I can get it over 115.
The 02's weren't available with the Bullit rims from the factory.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
engineer76 said:

That really sucks , 115max ! Im barely 1/2 way through 3rd gear at that point !

I did not catch if you had a stick or auto , but that must really suck to be blasting your way along , and then your engine cuts out !

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.