Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently bought an automatic 02 gt Mustang. The general goal for this car is to buy as many bolts on to get as much hp gains as possible without having to invest a lot of money in upgrades that wont give me more hp. This is more of a guideline than a rule I couple disclaimers: I am an 18 year old idiot. I accept that. I live in Minnesota. I am totally open to any suggestions about anything. I am also looking for missing links, e.g. getting headers with stock catback. Thank you ahead of time you guys are awesome!

Lets start with tires and wheels
Staggered Black 1995 Style Cobra R Mustang Wheel & NITTO Tire Kit - 17x9/10.5 (99-04) - Free Shipping 28084||28086||76000||76014
Don't really have any questions except is this over kill and how will the 555's hold out in the winter? (I am planning on buying most things in the spring) Also would the black 6 spine or the black acorns blend in better?

Exhaust
Headers
MAC Mustang Chrome Long Tube Headers TF9625 (96-04 GT) - Free Shipping TF9625
with the off road mid pipe. My main problem is that its an automatic, and I couldn't find that many headers that you can use for automatics. Also because I am going to s/c I was thinking that I might need ceramic ones but then I was like its MN so probably not but then I was like with all the salt and sand on the road maybe the chrome will corrode faster?? Also I really don't care about the catty converters, the only reason I would go offroad is because it cheaper. Anyone have any experience with cops actually checking? Does anyone have any specific experience with these headers and clearance issues? Do I have to lift the engine to install these?

Catback
Pypes Pype-Bomb Mustang Catback Exhaust SFM29V (86 GT; 86-93 LX; 94-04 GT, Mach 1, Bullitt) - Free Shipping SFM29V
Pretty much I choose these because they were cheap. As long as they aren't obnoxious I'm fine. I have read that most catback are going to give very similar hp increases.

Brakes
Hawk Performance Hawk Quiet Slot Mustang Rotors - Front Pair KIT (94-04 GT, V6) - Free Shipping 53051||HUS8141||KIT
Hawk Performance Hawk Quiet Slot Mustang Rotors - Rear Pair KIT (94-04 GT, V6) - Free Shipping 53053||HUS8142||KIT
Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads HB274Z.610 (99-04 GT, V6) - Free Shipping HB274Z.610
Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads HB183Z.660 (94-04 GT, V6) - Free Shipping HB183Z.660
I am upgrading them mostly because I need new ones. Is this overkill. Also I am debating ceramic vs HPS, tips? I am also going to paint the caliper black.

Gears
I am planning on getting some 3.73's It is my understanding that they wont really kill top end, but still improve my acceleration. If this is wrong please let me know. I was thinking of ford racing brand.

S/C
Heres where thing get real interesting. I'm pretty sure I want a centrifugal s/c which pretty much leaves me with vortech, paxton, or procharger? The car is a daily driver, and it would be awesome if I could get the highest psi possible without risking the longevity of the engine. I have been told that targeting 8psi at redline is a good place to start, what do you think? I am looking to upgrade the: camshafts, intake manifold, heads, plenum, throttle body, maf, meth kit if the s/c doesn't come with a intercoller, sparks and coils.

Everything depends on the s/c kit. Are any of these upgrades overkill. Remember I'm aiming for highest practical psi for daily use. I think that once I can really narrow down what kind of psi I am targeting I can chose a s/c, and then all of the list components to follow.

I understand that I asked a million and a half question. I you can answer just one that totally cool. Like I said if there is anything I missed or id there is anything incompatible please let me know!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
You should reassess your goals. How much power and how much money you want to spend

·
Banned
465 Posts
Hello, I recently bought an automatic 02 gt Mustang. The general goal for this car is to buy as many bolts on to get as much hp gains as possible without having to invest a lot of money in upgrades that wont give me more hp. This is more of a guideline than a rule I couple disclaimers: I am an 18 year old idiot. I accept that. I live in Minnesota. I am totally open to any suggestions about anything. I am also looking for missing links, e.g. getting headers with stock catback. Thank you ahead of time you guys are awesome!

Staggered Black 1995 Style Cobra R Mustang Wheel & NITTO Tire Kit - 17x9/10.5 (99-04) - Free Shipping 28084||28086||76000||76014
Don't really have any questions except is this over kill and how will the 555's hold out in the winter? (I am planning on buying most things in the spring) Also would the black 6 spine or the black acorns blend in better?

Exhaust
Headers
with the off road mid pipe. My main problem is that its an automatic, and I couldn't find that many headers that you can use for automatics. Also because I am going to s/c I was thinking that I might need ceramic ones but then I was like its MN so probably not but then I was like with all the salt and sand on the road maybe the chrome will corrode faster?? Also I really don't care about the catty converters, the only reason I would go offroad is because it cheaper. Anyone have any experience with cops actually checking? Does anyone have any specific experience with these headers and clearance issues? Do I have to lift the engine to install these?

Catback
Pypes Pype-Bomb Mustang Catback Exhaust SFM29V (86 GT; 86-93 LX; 94-04 GT, Mach 1, Bullitt) - Free Shipping SFM29V
Pretty much I choose these because they were cheap. As long as they aren't obnoxious I'm fine. I have read that most catback are going to give very similar hp increases.

Brakes
Hawk Performance Hawk Quiet Slot Mustang Rotors - Front Pair KIT (94-04 GT, V6) - Free Shipping 53051||HUS8141||KIT
Hawk Performance Hawk Quiet Slot Mustang Rotors - Rear Pair KIT (94-04 GT, V6) - Free Shipping 53053||HUS8142||KIT
Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads HB274Z.610 (99-04 GT, V6) - Free Shipping HB274Z.610
Hawk Performance Ceramic Brake Pads HB183Z.660 (94-04 GT, V6) - Free Shipping HB183Z.660
I am upgrading them mostly because I need new ones. Is this overkill. Also I am debating ceramic vs HPS, tips? I am also going to paint the caliper black. you can find factory mach or cobra brakes for 300~ I had better braking distances with basic autozone pads then these pads.

Gears
I am planning on getting some 3.73's your top end wont be killed, your forcing air in. top end is killed from the motor not being able to suck enough air in (n/a)It is my understanding that they wont really kill top end, but still improve my acceleration. If this is wrong please let me know. I was thinking of ford racing brand.

S/C
Heres where thing get real interesting. I'm pretty sure I want a centrifugal s/c which pretty much leaves me with vortech, paxton, or procharger? The car is a daily driver, and it would be awesome if I could get the highest psi possible without risking the longevity of the engine. I have been told that targeting 8psi at redline is a good place to start, what do you think? I am looking to upgrade the: camshafts, intake manifold, heads,on 8 lbs8 psi will put you around 380~ 10 psi should put you around 430~ that will throw you higher then the shortblock could handle. stock heads and intake are fine for a supercharger. remember that the flow of said things doesnt really matter anymore because your forcing air in... plenumstock is fine.., throttle bodystock T/b is good to like 450HP IIRC,plus my last statement doubles for this one., mafI believe the SCT blow through is the one I have.., meth kit if the s/c doesn't come with a intercooleryou don't need meth with a centrifugal style blower, and most come intercooled anyways, sparks and coilsautolite 103's or NGK tr6's are best, keep stock coils..

Everything depends on the s/c kit. Are any of these upgrades overkill. Remember I'm aiming for highest practical psi for daily use. I think that once I can really narrow down what kind of psi I am targeting I can chose a s/c, and then all of the list components to follow.

I understand that I asked a million and a half question. I you can answer just one that totally cool. Like I said if there is anything I missed or id there is anything incompatible please let me know!

Thanks again.

Don't forget injectors, boost a spark, boost a pump, and an SVT focus pump.

·
Registered
125 Posts
At first I read your post and went "oh lord he's building a tire spinning never gripping not track or streetable monster" then I read that you are actually planning on getting decent tires, upgrading brakes, etc so thumbs up to that.

Just my opinion, 1. don't fear the gear, get 4.10s you won't regret it. 2. These mustangs need a few mods to even put their stock HP to the ground effectively, Go for sub-frame connectors and maybe lower control arms and such before you go blown, that way you're horsepower won't just be utterly wasted by chewing up tires instead of eating up asphalt :p.

Also, this might just be personal preference, but I'd rather go turbo then go centrifugal supercharger. I'd rather not waste the HP turning a belt driven supercharger that has to build boost, IMO the point of a s/c is instant boost so twin-screw ftw

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't forget injectors, boost a spark, boost a pump, and an SVT focus pump.
The kit comes with all the needed fuel upgrades, but I can't find the specs anywhere. I think I just need to call them.

The kit I am looking at doesn't come with an intercooler should I get one or go with a meth kit?

I did some research and I think the red maf would be overkill i was looking at:
SCT Mustang Big Air 90MM MAF Meter / Sensor BA-2600 (89-04 V8) - Free Shipping BA-2600

also I have only heard from people to upgrade the throttle body to 75mm so i am wondering if i maybe read your post wrong?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My new idea is:
Keep everything the same as in the original post except swap out the pypes for:
MAC Catback Mustang Exhaust TK9635 (96-04 GT, Mach 1) - Free Shipping TK9635
I think the chambered mufflers will help keep the noise down, but not too much. Is this a good call?

I have done my suspension homework and here is what I am thinking:
SR Performance Chrome Mustang Strut Tower Brace STB-94-CH (94-04 GT, V6) - Free Shipping STB-94-CH
Eibach Mustang Sport-System-Plus 4.1735.680 (94-04 V8 Coupe, 99-04 V6 Convertible) - Free Shipping 4.1735.680
What do you guys think about this?

I am them also at a dilemma about the company SR. On the one had they seem cheaper than most other brands, but I don;t know if I can trust them. Does anyone have any good or bad experience with any of their parts?

Because of this i can either get bbk or sr rear control arms and I am not sure which to get or if I will even need them. I am thinking on keeping my control arms stock, and then after I s/c if i am getting wheel hop or anything like that I will upgrade them.

As for the intake system I am thinking a 75mm throttle body either SR or for 100 more bbk. Also should I upgrade my plenum keeping in mine my intake manifold will remain stock?

SCT Mustang Big Air 90MM MAF Meter / Sensor BA-2600 (89-04 V8) - Free Shipping BA-2600
Is this the maf for me?

Ford Racing Mustang A/C Delete Kit M-19216-D46 (96-10 GT; 96-04 Cobra, Mach 1) - Free Shipping M-19216-D46
like I said I live in mn and I have no use for my ac. Is this the cheapest way to go about doing this. I figured I would just pull the compressor out and maybe even sell it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've heard real good things about the BA2600 MAF
The strut tower brace I wouldn't worry as much about especially the brand it's not going to make as huge of a difference as the rear LCA's. As far asLCA's I wouldn't skimp out on them, I would get at least one spherical end on them. MM are a top notch. I have the MM extremes with 2 spherical ends and there awesome (little road noise) but a huge difference+ you can take the hideous useless quad shocks (less weight) off with good rear LCA's
Have you decided witch S/C your going with? Sounds like a big project ahead for you good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Gears: You need to account for what kind of setup you are going to be running when you decide on gears. If you go turbo I wouldn't advise a set of 4.10's for that. So saying that 4.10's are not always the best gear. Yet I do agree with Kiliona "don't fear the gear".

Suspension: You want a set of weld in full length sub frame connectors, and rear control arms. I personally would not advise those sport springs. I have the pro kit in the rear only now but when I had it all the way around I still tended to drag on certain things. Unless you are into a really low car that tends to have problems with steep drive ways, speed bumps, or anything other thing I would steer clear of those really low springs. If you want to do it right and money isn't a problem then do a k member swap go to coilovers and do the swap for the rear as well. Then you can actually control your ride height and gain the perk of better handling.

Power adder: Now this is up to you and I'm not going to sit here and spill my guts out to you and try to force you out of your choices. No matter what kind of power adder you pick I would advise getting an intercooler if it comes with the kit or not. I would also advise a tuner kit and doing my own fuel system upgrades.

That is just a short bit of my opinion!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard real good things about the BA2600 MAF
The strut tower brace I wouldn't worry as much about especially the brand it's not going to make as huge of a difference as the rear LCA's. As far asLCA's I wouldn't skimp out on them, I would get at least one spherical end on them. MM are a top notch. I have the MM extremes with 2 spherical ends and there awesome (little road noise) but a huge difference+ you can take the hideous useless quad shocks (less weight) off with good rear LCA's
Have you decided witch S/C your going with? Sounds like a big project ahead for you good luck

Well for the lca's I am leaning towards the bbk's. I am going with vortechs v3 Sci

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gears: You need to account for what kind of setup you are going to be running when you decide on gears. If you go turbo I wouldn't advise a set of 4.10's for that. So saying that 4.10's are not always the best gear. Yet I do agree with Kiliona "don't fear the gear".

Suspension: You want a set of weld in full length sub frame connectors, and rear control arms. I personally would not advise those sport springs. I have the pro kit in the rear only now but when I had it all the way around I still tended to drag on certain things. Unless you are into a really low car that tends to have problems with steep drive ways, speed bumps, or anything other thing I would steer clear of those really low springs. If you want to do it right and money isn't a problem then do a k member swap go to coilovers and do the swap for the rear as well. Then you can actually control your ride height and gain the perk of better handling.

Power adder: Now this is up to you and I'm not going to sit here and spill my guts out to you and try to force you out of your choices. No matter what kind of power adder you pick I would advise getting an intercooler if it comes with the kit or not. I would also advise a tuner kit and doing my own fuel system upgrades.

That is just a short bit of my opinion!
I am 80% sure I am going to go with the 3.73's. I am going to s/c with vortechs v3 Sci. I do fear the gear for all of my dding.

I really couldn't care less about how low the car gets. I was just otld the Eilback sells some great suspension parts. The coil over and k member swap is going to be too expensive.

I agree with you, but I am wounding what is wrong with the fuel upgrade that come with the kit?

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
It's kind of funny how everyone on here says things about 4.10's hurting your mileage and not wanting to get them?

My question to ask for everyone that says this......have you run the gears on the street compared to stock gears?

There was once a guy on this forum who had a very nice Bullitt. He was a very good guy to go to. He knew his stuff and I can personally say for have being a member to this forum for over 5 years now. He had 4.10's and said his city MPG's increased when he drove the car right.

I went from 2.73's to 3.55's and guess what happened to my MPG's......you got it they increased.

Now it isn't a very big jump in numbers but you can see it when you do the math. Here is the catch though....how often do you romp on it or drive a little more aggressive than normal? Only you can answer this and honestly I would have to bet that you wouldn't even notice a MPG difference between 3.73's and 4.10's. The difference you will notice is when you go to romp on it and you get those rpm's up faster and get into boost faster. Now that's why I say don't do low gears on a turbo setup because turbo's actually require load to build boost. Now that is a different can of worms and no real reason to get into all of that.

All in all do what you like and please. Make yourself happy and satisfied.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's kind of funny how everyone on here says things about 4.10's hurting your mileage and not wanting to get them?

My question to ask for everyone that says this......have you run the gears on the street compared to stock gears?

There was once a guy on this forum who had a very nice Bullitt. He was a very good guy to go to. He knew his stuff and I can personally say for have being a member to this forum for over 5 years now. He had 4.10's and said his city MPG's increased when he drove the car right.

I went from 2.73's to 3.55's and guess what happened to my MPG's......you got it they increased.

Now it isn't a very big jump in numbers but you can see it when you do the math. Here is the catch though....how often do you romp on it or drive a little more aggressive than normal? Only you can answer this and honestly I would have to bet that you wouldn't even notice a MPG difference between 3.73's and 4.10's. The difference you will notice is when you go to romp on it and you get those rpm's up faster and get into boost faster. Now that's why I say don't do low gears on a turbo setup because turbo's actually require load to build boost. Now that is a different can of worms and no real reason to get into all of that.

All in all do what you like and please. Make yourself happy and satisfied.
I really don't care too much about mileage. I'm just worried about my top end speed and the fact the 99% of the driving that I do in this car will be dding. that 1% is for weekend fun. I understand that going to 4.10's would be better for the 1%, but does it really make sense for all the dding? What would you do in my place keeping in mind its a s/c application?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also given my long term goal which dyno tune would you guys recommend? I understand that this is base also on preferance but I am interested to hear your guys preferences and experiences bias or not. I live in the twin cities in MN.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I would get with Willy on that. He is the Minnesota guy on here. If you want to come over to East Tennessee I would advise Intune Motorsports. Guys name is Scott and is a very good guy and knows his stuff.

Top end speed.....what in the world are you planning on doing with this car? Flying it? To be honest with you I personally think 4.10's would be your best gear with a centri. Willy even said it himself and every other person with a centri setup has even said the same exact thing about 4.10's with a centri. I won't say every single person but 90% of them yes.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with fordman I would get 4:10 for a centri setup. My RPM's at 70 mph are 2500 it's fine for daily driving. Unless you drive 30+ miles on the thruway to work each way I would do 4:10

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with fordman I would get 4:10 for a centri setup. My RPM's at 70 mph are 2500 it's fine for daily driving. Unless you drive 30+ miles on the thruway to work each way I would do 4:10

Ok duly noted. I have done more research and I am leaning towards the 4.10's. My last question is this will the 4.10's or the 3.73.s get more from 0-120 faster? I was able to find the awnser to this question for a pretty much stock car, but I was unable to find any results for a 400 rwhp car. Once again this is assuming the car can put the power to the ground.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Ok duly noted. I have done more research and I am leaning towards the 4.10's. My last question is this will the 4.10's or the 3.73.s get more from 0-120 faster? I was able to find the awnser to this question for a pretty much stock car, but I was unable to find any results for a 400 rwhp car. Once again this is assuming the car can put the power to the ground.
Aha you got it......put the power to the ground. Well I would imagine the 4.10's. Come on man you know how many gear threads there is on this forum alone.

Just do the 4.10's and be done with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Exhaust
Headers

Catback

Brakes
I am upgrading them mostly because I need new ones. Is this overkill. Also I am debating ceramic vs HPS, tips? I am also going to paint the caliper black.

Gears
I am planning on getting some 3.73's It is my understanding that they wont really kill top end, but still improve my acceleration. If this is wrong please let me know. I was thinking of ford racing brand.

S/C
Heres where thing get real interesting. I'm pretty sure I want a centrifugal s/c which pretty much leaves me with vortech, paxton, or procharger? The car is a daily driver, and it would be awesome if I could get the highest psi possible without risking the longevity of the engine. I have been told that targeting 8psi at redline is a good place to start, what do you think? I am looking to upgrade the: camshafts, intake manifold, heads, plenum, throttle body, maf, meth kit if the s/c doesn't come with a intercoller, sparks and coils.

Thanks again.
im going to say this one time and one time only. Do as much research as possible before you start doing anything. Talk to tuners, I love blow by racing in boca raton florida. Those guys are amazing and will help you out all day every day. Before you buy a part come up with a list. Figure out what your going to need. Start buying it little buy little. don't rush, don't cut coners, don't think its giong to be some qaulity **** if its made in some factory in china some where with a bunch of over worked kids. My first build I over built my motor, trans, and fuel system. I was only pushing 500 hp on a 3v. My bottom end was rated for over 800hp, my fuel system was using a 1300 dollar fuel pump with -8 fuel lines. I spent to much money when i was young and dumb. I didn't research. Now almost 9 years later tons of research im getting ready to do a 5.0 swap on a 96 GT....But this time i know my **** and spending less. Think about it man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts