Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother has a 02 mustang 3.8l with 115k miles in great condition no CEL. but he keeps telling me its a piece of **** and he wants to sell it because it wont accelerate and we cant find out the problem.


we put new spark plugs in it and new wires because CEL came on for miss fires. that fixed it but it still randomly miss fires at a red light and shake and fixs itself. but the main problem is when accelerating you and give it 3 quarter throttle and it baaarely wants to move and when you floor it it lags nasty untill 3500rpms and then takes off fast. what could be going wrong?



it does this 90 percent the time and the other 10 percent of the time it drives perfect. its not miss firing when it doesnt wanna go its more like its trying to haul a load waay to heavy for the motor. like its bogged out badly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
something else is if you here a rattling sound coming from the under side of the care it could be the catalytic converters could be clogged up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
completely stock. and the exhaust does sound really nasty leaks and car is loud but just like every other v6 stang ive heard before.


maybe we will disconnect the exhaust tommorow and see if it helps if so we will replace catlac converters. thats sounds like the problem now that i think about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,158 Posts
huge exhaust leaks can cause problems with power and such
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,867 Posts
that fixed it but it still randomly miss fires at a red light and shake and fixs itself. but the main problem is when accelerating you and give it 3 quarter throttle and it baaarely wants to move and when you floor it it lags nasty untill 3500rpms and then takes off fast.
the IAC is sticking open, or you have a large vacuum leak...

i'd bet on the IAC, since it's not throwing a CEL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,544 Posts
my brother has a 02 mustang 3.8l with 115k miles in great condition no CEL...we put new spark plugs in it and new wires because CEL came on for miss fires.
Huh? Does it have a CEL or not?
completely stock. and the exhaust does sound really nasty leaks and car is loud but just like every other v6 stang ive heard before.
maybe we will disconnect the exhaust tommorow and see if it helps if so we will replace catlac converters. thats sounds like the problem now that i think about it.
Really? Stock V6s are not that loud...

And disconnecting the exhaust would only make it louder. :headscratch: Unless you are trying to eliminate a rattling sound -- do you actually have a rattling sound? I know ksstang suggested that problem, but I didn't think you ever mentioned that symptom...

Try IAC like 232 suggested. Afterall, he's a mechanic. :laugh: (haha - j/k 232! You've been a big help to me before :D)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top