Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided to finally replace my rear main seal again after about two years of trying to dodge this.. but while I am under there and the transmission removed I was going to service the trans, since it has 186000 miles on it. Only thinking it was going to be the filter and fluid, I found that I could replace the valve body itself with a new one through AM. Not wanting to spend $400 on one peice that really doesnt provide a performance gain, I really am not wanting to get that but yet the $80 shift kit they sell instead. After reading the reviews I am contemplating doing the shift kit along with my 186000 check up and rear main seal. I was wondering if this shift kit is really worth doing or should I just save up my money for something like gears?

Side question: What transmission fluid should I use? I know it is mercon V but id rather not buy 13qts of it. Id rather buy 3 gallons and 1qt for it but the only gallon jug I can find are dex/merc not just straight mercon V

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the kit acts like the valve body you can buy. It firms up the shifting and removes the "mushy feeling" gear box as most people put it. It also prolongs the life of the transmission.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No but I am dropping it for the rear main and it has 186000 miles. The reason I wanted the shift kit is because I helps firm up the shifting and extends the life of the transmission.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you decide to sell it, you'll have hard time explaining it to a buyer.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im never gonna sell this car.. Ive already put 2 grand in this car and it isnt worth 2 grand. So I could care less of what the "buyer" thinks cause it is already not a stock car.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It is a good idea to get valve body parts diagram and ball diagram. They will be probably included with your kit.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
As far shift kits Google J-Mod....it's worth it. As far as fluid I'm not sure, go with what Ford recommends...good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts