Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently found a set of cobra pistons out of an 03. now i was wondering is there a way to tell if they are forged or not? i no some 03-04 cobras have forged pistons from the factory but do they all?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
They all came through with, Manley Forged Pistons from the factory. All the internals, were forged from the factory. That's why you see 03 - 04 Cobras, holding up to 700 - 800HP without having to change anything internaly, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Actually i can't remember the name, actually never head of them, but the pistons are forged but not from Manley. The rods are manley though. The pistons are good but not the best.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I believe they are Mahle pistons, you don't want them in a stock NA motor, they are really low compression.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I think I saw it somewhere they are ASW or AWS Pistons. If you read everything else they will say "Manely rods, and the pistons are the same from the Ford Lightning". but somewhere i saw the name. I know people say to get Manely or better piston when you rebuild it.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
Well regardless of who made them, everyone will agree they are forged.

·
Registered
406 Posts
its mostly impossible to tell if somethings been cast or forged since the main difference lies within the molecule arrangement. sometimes the forged.sometimes the forged beams will leave the stamping marks near the inner contours of the ring to the beam.sometimes

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The 03/04 Cobra pistons are made by a company called Zollner!
They are Forged, decent but not on the level of CP,Diamond,and Manley!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.