Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had at least 4 guys pull up on me on the highway here in Vegas in the last 2 months wanting me to go against them. First if I get the chance I always tell them we can do it at the track each friday night. And second unless I am dead wrong they are faster than us. i do have Zex but I dont want to street race these guys. Is it some sort of complex they have against the 05 guys? I think they have awesome cars and tell them so. I just dont get it.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
It would be interesting since they are pulling about 390HP. :laughlitt

G

·
maybe..maybe not..how many cobras out there are true cobras? besides...hes got zex...i'm gonna bet hes got better tires on his new car than those burnout addicted street racers...and i'm sure his new car has a better tune

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
MAny of them paid close to 40K for a car that 'went out of style' as soon as the S197 was announced... not to mention the upcoming 500...

We'll lose bigtime! BTW is there still a 03-04 Cobra that has the stock intake not putting 400 to the ground?

I want their bottom end and tranny!! :drool:

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
kj_cinci said:
Wait in line buddy, I called it first.:laughlitt

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
with the Zex, you might hang with them, depending on how big a shot you have. but stock, forget about it. those cobras will tear your s197 a new a$$~O!

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
kj_cinci said:
MAny of them paid close to 40K for a car that 'went out of style' as soon as the S197 was announced... not to mention the upcoming 500...

We'll lose bigtime! BTW is there still a 03-04 Cobra that has the stock intake not putting 400 to the ground?

oh, yeah! why did they ditch the 6 speed anyway?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
pcfrisch said:
oh, yeah! why did they ditch the 6 speed anyway?
$$$ of course...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
kj_cinci said:
$$$ of course...
sucks. i dont know about you guys, but my opinion after opening mine up once, Mustang needs a six speed! 5 just isnt enough. a lot more top end if we had just one more gear. com'on Ford, just ONE MORE! :happyhapp

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
GTNOS said:
sucks. i dont know about you guys, but my opinion after opening mine up once, Mustang needs a six speed! 5 just isnt enough. a lot more top end if we had just one more gear. com'on Ford, just ONE MORE! :happyhapp
It's just another OD... after 4th you need allot of power to accelerate at the speeds we're talking about. Your car shuts down at 145, you can do that in 4th still pulling, in fith too but with less pulling...

The reason I want it is for that ODOD which would allow for rear end gearing and low 2000 RPM cruise at 80 MPH...

My guess is the Cobras have it for EPA certification / MPG reasons and that 'sportscars' have / should have them...??

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GTNOS said:
with the Zex, you might hang with them, depending on how big a shot you have. but stock, forget about it. those cobras will tear your s197 a new a$$~O!
Thats exacatly what i thought too.I have not seen any of them st the friday night drags at the strip here. LVMS.com I am a few months away from 40 and my street racing days are behind me. I might pull a stop light to stop light with a guy if its in the right place. And I will punch it up on our freeways that are empty many times.

·
Registered
191 Posts
put an s/c on it and go hunting..................:cool:

·
Registered
829 Posts
The Cobra will eat us up with only our bolt on mods. It would take a supercharged S197 to pull with them. I have been around a few and seen the damage they can do to an ego.....and a friend of mine has one as well.

It is pretty sad... Ford built an incredible car and they know it. They are abandoned in getting the respect they need (look at the $ they spent) because Ford outclassed them in the looks department with the '05 redesign. I think they need to spank many S197's on a daily basis to feel better about their abandonment.

I have a fondness for the '04 Cobra and hope to have one someday. They are an awesome car.

If I had a 6 speed stick in mine...I would be running 4.56 gears on the street !!!! Can you imagine how fast you would need to shift out of 1st gear?!?!?!

·
Registered
886 Posts
and the money you'd spend on tires!!:laughlitt

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
GTNOS said:
Funny thing is when i had my Vette, it was a 6 spd, and i rarely used it! I only used it on long trips and it got me great gas milage (28 on the highway at 75). but when it came to top speed, i had to use fifth, 6th gear is like .25:1 or something crazy like that, so the fastest i hit was 162 on Highway 5 in kern county, ca. At that speed, those cars start to get lift and you start to loose your rear traction, so a functional downforce wing was the answer. The fastest I have taken my mustang was 130, and it was not as stable at those higher speeds because of the aerodymanics of the car. When doing the quarter mile, i use to hit the rev limmiter in 4th, and if i shifted to 5th i would loose some time. I know of a guy with a 04 cobra, and he tells me with his gears (i think 4:10), he has to shift to 5th on the 1/4 mile and he would also loose a few tenths.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sincitystang said:
Funny thing is when i had my Vette, it was a 6 spd, and i rarely used it! I only used it on long trips and it got me great gas milage (28 on the highway at 75). but when it came to top speed, i had to use fifth, 6th gear is like .25:1 or something crazy like that, so the fastest i hit was 162 on Highway 5 in kern county, ca. At that speed, those cars start to get lift and you start to loose your rear traction, so a functional downforce wing was the answer. The fastest I have taken my mustang was 130, and it was not as stable at those higher speeds because of the aerodymanics of the car. When doing the quarter mile, i use to hit the rev limmiter in 4th, and if i shifted to 5th i would loose some time. I know of a guy with a 04 cobra, and he tells me with his gears (i think 4:10), he has to shift to 5th on the 1/4 mile and he would also loose a few tenths.
Sincity was that you last nite on the 95 in the cobr? or do u know a guy with a silver or grey one?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I've experienced the same thing,another Mustang Cobra guy just wanting to run.I usually have my wife with me and I consider her safety first.I really can't wait to see what my 06' GT will do at the track.Thats where all the Mustang Cobra guys show up and I've seen the times they run,its awesome.They seem to have the best of both worlds,a lot of different set ups(S/C's),Tuning and NOS. I've only had my 06' for 1 1/2 month now and have barely started to think about any engine mods.This Forum has been very helpful because I havn't seen anybody steer anyone down the wrong road with the newer or older Mustang mods.I figure because we wanna unravel on some bowties instead of a fellow Mustanger:) .

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
speco2005 said:
Sincity was that you last nite on the 95 in the cobr? or do u know a guy with a silver or grey one?
I have an 06' GT with ground effects and a roush tail. I know some guys with cobras from Southern Nevada Mustang Assc. The one that I know has a maroon/dark red and it has 677 hp to the wheels. He spend $$$$$$$$$$ on his cobra and its really fast. I dont know anyone with a silver or grey one, but there are a few cobras in town. Man, I hate the 95, its so crazy driving on there! I ususally take the surface streets or the 215.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sincitystang said:
I have an 06' GT with ground effects and a roush tail. I know some guys with cobras from Southern Nevada Mustang Assc. The one that I know has a maroon/dark red and it has 677 hp to the wheels. He spend $$$$$$$$$$ on his cobra and its really fast. I dont know anyone with a silver or grey one, but there are a few cobras in town. Man, I hate the 95, its so crazy driving on there! I ususally take the surface streets or the 215.
I work for a live show here in town as a sound guy so I am on the 95 north at about 12:30 each nite, so its not bad at all, but going in can be a real pain.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.