Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 03 Cobra from my friend about 2 months ago now. He changed from the stock pulley to a 2.25" pulley to make 12-14lbs of boost. The problem is I didnt help him install it and he thinks that it might need to be pushed on just a little bit more. I had to order another serpentine belt today because its running the stock belt and apparently is about 1.5" too big. Also, this is my first supercharged car, so how would i be able to tell if the pulley needs to be pushed on a little bit further if that is the case?

Aside from the smaller pulley, it has a diablo sport tune, flowmaster exhaust, and a k&n cold air intake on it. I would like to get some cams for it, mild-aggressive, short shift, headers, a new clutch, and a suspension set up that stops wheel hop. What are some good recommendations as to brands for each of those and price ranges? If its any help, its got about 65k miles on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
2.25? Why so small? Never knew they existed in that size, the smallest most usually go for an upper is 2.76? With one that size I'd For Sure upgrade your idlers to Metco or Billetflow or your gonna run into problems..

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
go out and measure that upper pulley, what brand? also a few more things..
1.Don't need Cams unless your trying to squeeze every last HP out of the Eaton that's already been ported and there isn't anything left to do
2.Headers aren't essential but you will make power with lots of boost
3.For suspension look into Diff bushings,IRS Brace and run a soft sidewall tire at the dragstrip
4. Of Course remove that stock shifter as soon as possible

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I've never seen a 2.25 pulley. I think the smallest you can get is a 2.65 and the hub has to be shaved. Plus with that, you would probably be making 18 to 20lbs of boost on that pulley. I would def measure it. If your making 12-14lbs (get an aftermarket gauge to measure it or the boost overlay so you can tell what it's pushing) you could have a 3.0 or a 2.80 pulley.

Belt Selection Guide

If it's not pushed all the way on, you'll need to get the pulley tool thats made for them and push it on some more. If you look at it from the driver side fender and it looks like to goes down at an angle, then it might be off. Is it eating the belts up? If not, should be fine.
+1 on what brutal said

·
Registered
3 Posts
good luck getting rid of the wheel hop. get a solid rear end. dont launch ur car with slicks too hard or ur IRS will be all over the track.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
Comp makes great cams, but to do the swap is expensive, the cams are $1200 and really to do it right you want some good high lift versions which require new springs and keepers...then you have the labor...
$2700 would be the bill...at that point you might as well just get a new 4.0 whipple, which is what I would do if it was my car.
Yes the belts need to be changed when you change pullies...smaller pulley=shorter belt..
Finally have it dynoed tuned...one lean run and it could get really expensive!

Maxium Motorsports for suspension parts
Pro 5.0 for shifter
Fidanza for clutch/pp
Headers: Mac/BBK, JBA....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts