Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has an 03' mustang, and someone cut the old top to get her purse, anyway, our insurance paid for just the top. This was 5 months ago. Now it has a half inch gap between the top of the window and the top. I've been looking online for some answers, and from what I got is that I need a new top, (not headliner), window, and curtain. Are they going to be able to seal the new window to the new top? From what I've read ford seals the window to the top from the factory, and they are good for about 6 years, then you will have to problem that I'm having. Is this true? If anyone has the answer to my problem please get back to me. Thanks

·
Registered
613 Posts
The whole top should of been replaced and sealed just like it was before it was torn up. You should of had the ins adjuster come out look at it, or the company should of had you take it to one of their certified adjusters to give a quote for replacement back to normal. If they gave you a quote over the phone and then sent you a check then you got ripped off. Just had the home owners try that crap with us and wind and hail dmg to our roof. Sent us a check that wont even cover half the replacement of 3 estimates we got from roofers. I would get ahold of your ins company and let them know what the deal is, and you want it fixed right.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Sure sounds like to me that the installer did not adjust the top correctly. The top adjustment is somewhat labor intensive as there are several field adjustments required to make it fit correctly.

The height of the top over the windows is indeed one of the adjustments. I believe the adjustment is the B-pillar adjustment (too high).

There is an entire chapter in the Ford service manual on how to adjust the convertible top. It's a balancing act where chaning one adjustment affects another.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the first bit of good news that I've heard yet. Where can I find the ford service manual? Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I bought mine off of ebay.

However, I'm wondering why you are asking. It's seems to me that this is an insurance job and the original installer should stand behind their workmanship.

I like doing things myself as much (or more) than the next guy, but....having a professional be on the hook to do it for you? This seems like an "Office Depot" easy button to me.

Be sure that you do your homework before attempting this job yourself. It's labor intensive. A helper is likely required.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
easy big fella. I don't know anything more than what YOU put in the post.

Besides, I wasn't suggesting that should have been the one to install it. I was suggesting that for an insurance job, professional workmanship should be included in "only replace what was damaged".

Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts