Ford Mustang Forum banner

04 GT leaking part causing dead battery?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SoCal2V 
#1 ·
Recently, my 04 GT's batter had died, unexplainably. We figured since it was a stock battery, it might be time for a new one. So we changed them out, and the next morning that one was dead. We took it to the shop, and the mechanic said it was a part that was leaking. He said if he took it out, nearly all of the electronics for the car would fail. He also said that the part was discontinued, and that we would have to go salvage one from another car. Does anyone know what this part could be, and if it is in fact discontinued? Thank you.

#6 ·
Dilithium crystals are used in Star Trek to manipulate anti-matter and propel the ships...

Any shop that says a part for a 2004 car is NLA, (No Longer Available) might not be where one would want their car to be serviced.

#7 ·
I fail to understand how a fluid leak of any sort would kill your battery. Now, something drawing current when it shouldn't be, that would cause a dead battery. If you have absolutely no idea how to diagnose this problem (don't feel bad, I'm not doing much better) then take it to a different shop. That last guy is full of sh!t on all counts.

#9 ·
If you have a way to monitor current draw from the battery, like a voltmeter with an amp probe then this might be easy to diagnose. First, hook up your meter inline with the positive side of the battery and verify that current is being drawn, make a mental note of how much. Then go to the fuse panel under the dash and start pulling fuses, one at a time. Pull one fuse, go look at the meter; if current is still moving then replace that fuse and move on to the next one and repeat until your meter reads zero. Once you find out which circuit is the problem, post back and we'll go from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.