Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I really like the 'new' GT500 Hood, (large ram air at front of the hood), but I've only been able to find one hood for my 2001 GT, and it appears it only comes in Carbon Fiber, and is way too expensive, considering I want to paint it anyway..

Ford Mustang VIS Racing GT 500 Black Carbon Fiber Hood - 99FDMUS2DGT5-010C by VIS Racing

VIS Racing hood..

I've also found that ED has a conversion kit (fenders, bumper, and hood (which I could get any 05+ hood I wanted...) that will make the 99-04s look like the 05-09 front end, which seems kool, and for the cost would be an option for me... HOWEVER, I can't seem to find any feedback on these kits, specifically pics of one; what they look like on the older body, what impacts they have (weight, balance, saftey etc...)

Ford Mustang Extreme Dimensions Duraflex Fiberglass Gen 5 Body Kit - 104715 by Extreme Dimensions

Any feedback, options, or ideas would be appreciated.. bascially I want my 01 to have a little more of a 'mean' look, and that GTS/GT500 front end just does it..

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I would not buy the "duraflex fiberglass" kit - things like bumper covers should be urethane, not fiberglass. And I'm leery of their new process, anyway.

As for fit and finish, stick to the First Tier suppliers if you can. FRPP, Roush, Cervini, 3D Carbon, Saleen (though be careful, they ARE in bankruptcy), Shelby, etc., have the best products (and charge the most, naturally).

I'll check around and see what I can find - its been a while since I shopped body kits.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.. I think I'm going to go with the Cobra R or Saleen front end.. I found a Saleen one on Craigslist here, but it's fiberglass, and I have to agree with the urethane aspect.

I found a pic (can't find it right now) of the conversion kit, and I have to admit, the 'new edge' looks odd with the streached out front end of the 05+...

I would not buy the "duraflex fiberglass" kit - things like bumper covers should be urethane, not fiberglass. And I'm leery of their new process, anyway.

As for fit and finish, stick to the First Tier suppliers if you can. FRPP, Roush, Cervini, 3D Carbon, Saleen (though be careful, they ARE in bankruptcy), Shelby, etc., have the best products (and charge the most, naturally).

I'll check around and see what I can find - its been a while since I shopped body kits.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
05+ conv kit found pics

Found this one... just a little too bug-eye'd and round... any input? I think if you can mod and fit in factory 05 headlight housings it may be ok...

USA AND  CANADA

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I have yet to see an "O5" 99-04 Mustang kit that looked good to me. The proportions all look "off".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.