Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Threw a rod on my 07 trubo gt.....looking for a junk yard engine

My question-- what changes did they make through the years on theses engines....05-2010 Mustang Gt 4.6 3vs

Thanks

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
The short blocks remained unchanged from '05-'10 but the heads were changed in late '08 to accommodate one-piece 12mm plugs, and for '10 the intake manifold was modified with the CMCVs as part of the unit instead of bolted on with separate plates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The short blocks remained unchanged from '05-'10 but the heads were changed in late '08 to accommodate one-piece 12mm plugs, and for '10 the intake manifold was modified with the CMCVs as part of the unit instead of bolted on with separate plates.

Awesome info! Thanks for the reply.

Why is it when i look up engines on like car.part .com

2005 and 2006 are the same, but 2007 is different as well as 08-10 (08-10 mostly likely for the changes you stated above)

Thanks

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
2010 had some other more substantial changes, pretty sure it has a different ECU which is the biggest one

So I think you can use any engine up to 2009 but avoid 2010 because the computer and controls are different

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
the cooling system is different, that's probably why your searches are 05-06 specific, then later years. in 07, Ford changed the thermostat location from drivers side mid coolant hose to pass side coolant crossover, a much simpler and effective location. when, in 07 it was changed I'm not sure. the later coolant crossovers are hard to find for some reason (looking for 1 myself). the Ford part # for the crossover is 7R3E-8C369. good luck

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
the cooling system is different, that's probably why your searches are 05-06 specific, then later years. in 07, Ford changed the thermostat location from drivers side mid coolant hose to pass side coolant crossover, a much simpler and effective location. when, in 07 it was changed I'm not sure. the later coolant crossovers are hard to find for some reason (looking for 1 myself). the Ford part # for the crossover is 7R3E-8C369. good luck
My '07 was a May build and it had the updated thermostat.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
The OP merely needs either a long block or a short block engine (assuming his heads are undamaged) from '05-'10.
Since his car has turbos, my advice would be to swap forged rods/pistons and TSS billet oil pump gears into the donor engine to make it more bulletproof.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the info! I found a 2006 complete engine i am going to buy. Should work...prop swap my updated thermostat. Plan on pulling my engine this weekend, we shall see whats all good on it.

My plans is to do forged rods and pistons. Suggestions?? Crank really isn't in the budget.

I was running single ON3 kit, when it blew i was 80% throttle 5th gear, maybe 95 mph doing a simply pass around a car......air/fuel gauge pegged lean, before i could react....booom! So my guess tuning issues, for sure fuel related.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how important are the oil pump gears? Just trying to figure out a budget for this as i was not expecting to throw a rod so soon into the season

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
That depends on whether you'd prefer to invest $400 on billet oil pump gears, or risk a catastrophic failure of the stock powdered metal gears and be left with another blown engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That depends on whether you'd prefer to invest $400 on billet oil pump gears, or risk a catastrophic failure of the stock powdered metal gears and be left with another blown engine.
well yeah obviously... i just wasnt aware that the 3v's where known to have a high failure rate. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
well yeah obviously... i just wasnt aware that the 3v's where known to have a high failure rate. Thanks for the info!
The stock powdered metal oil pump gears are reliable on N/A builds but not when you add forced induction, especially when it's a supercharger as it places a higher load on the front of the crank which drives the oil pump.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I'd go with the 9.6:1 compression pistons to maintain good off-boost response.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts