Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any promblems out of the 4.10 gears in an auto or really low top end and slower 0-60 times, any input would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
No!

My 0-60 time is better in my auto.

Overall acceleration is better and you will not lose one bit off your top speed.

The 4.10s made my car much more satisfying. I get better gas mileage in the city (where I do 95% of my driving) Highway miles are still 25-26MPG and the RPM are fine. I usually drive around 70MPH and with the O/D on I'm extremely happy. I was actually considering moving to a 4.30, but I'm not sure the gain from a 4.10 would be worth the money.

Trust me, you will love them! Wait until you floor it the first time after picking it up:winks. You'll be sorry you waited so long. With a good race tune with firm shifts, you will chirp your tires into 2-3-and 4th gear. Highly recommend them:bigthumbsup.

-Chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man i just needed to hear that the gas mileage, top end, are still there, thanks for input sounds street/strip friendly to me will be getting them next week

·
Registered
568 Posts
Overall acceleration is better and you will not lose one bit off your top speed.
That's not true at all; it's basic mechanics. Your engine has an upper limit to the rpms it can handle, and adding higher gears causes the engine to rotate more for any given wheel rotational speed. You gain mechanical advantage which increases your accelleration, but you will lose maybe 5mph off your absolute top end speed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the 4.10s will get you there quicker in the quarter i know but with 4.10s vs 3.31 i think the 3.31s are going to pull harder after 100 120 but whoes going to be pulling past that mph unless your on an airstrip

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
That's not true at all; it's basic mechanics. Your engine has an upper limit to the rpms it can handle, and adding higher gears causes the engine to rotate more for any given wheel rotational speed. You gain mechanical advantage which increases your accelleration, but you will lose maybe 5mph off your absolute top end speed.
AH, no! Wrong!

The only way you can lose top speed is if you were revving to the maximum before you got to the top speed. In a Dodge Viper that can go 200+mph you may lose a bit of top speed, hence the low gear (number wise) they put into it. But on our cars that go around 140-150 you're not be losing anything. I've gotten my car up to 135mph after the gears and had plenty of more room on the tach for more. The 4.10s add a couple hundred RPM. So how is that going to limit you? It's not like it's spinning that much quicker!

You cannot put a number like "maybe 5mph" out there because each car is different. And you're probably just repeating what someone else has told you anyway. I have the 4.10s and I havent lost anything. . . only gained! LOVE them!

And even if it was true for our cars (which it's not) would it really matter if your car tops out at 150 or 145? Not to me!

There is a thread here with the actual physics behind it, I think it was Sqidd who cleared it up. I will try to find it and post it here.

OP If you want them get them! You will love them and your car will go just as fast as it does now. . . only it will get there quicker:winks

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
The top speed of these cars is not limited by the max rpms and gearing, it is limited by one of two things (whichever is lower):
1) the computer top speed limiter -- 149 mph I think?
2) drag -- the point where resistance of drag is equal to the force delivered through the tires to the ground

I don't know all the ratios and math for these cars off the top of my head, but I do know my 5-speed will hit top speed in 4th. If I did the math for 6500 RPM in 5th on my car it would come out to something like 225 mph; obviously the car is not going to go that fast! The same rough math for 4.10 gears comes out to about 180 mph; again the car is going to be limited by drag or the speed limiter long befor that, so the gearing is a non-issue for top speed. (these are not the exact numbers but close enough to make the point)

In fact the 4.10 gears might actually INCREASE the top speed, because the engine will be higher in its powerband and/or producing more torque and/or the gearing will be putting more force to the ground when it gets near that drag limiting point.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You cannot put a number like "maybe 5mph" out there because each car is different. And you're probably just repeating what someone else has told you anyway. I have the 4.10s and I havent lost anything. . . only gained! LOVE them!

And even if it was true for our cars (which it's not) would it really matter if your car tops out at 150 or 145? Not to me!

There is a thread here with the actual physics behind it, I think it was Sqidd who cleared it up. I will try to find it and post it here.
No, I'm not "just repeating what someone has said." I, in fact, am a physicist, so I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to what amounts to a simple pulley problem. Adding steeper gears increases the required rpm required for any given speed. At 130 mph a car with 410s is going to be pushing more rpms that one with 331s, and the car with the 410s is going to reach its rpm limit faster than the one with 331s. That's basic math.

·
Registered
568 Posts
In fact the 4.10 gears might actually INCREASE the top speed, because the engine will be higher in its powerband and/or producing more torque and/or the gearing will be putting more force to the ground when it gets near that drag limiting point.
You're also putting a lot more stress on your entire drivetrain with 410s. Your driveshaft is going to be rotating a lot faster with the higher gears, meaning that it will potentially reach its point of failure sooner, which, obviously, will contribute another limiting factor.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not trying to talk bad about getting gears. I had 373s in my old car and will probably eventually be putting new ones in this one. It's just that to try and advertise them as having no effect but "making the car go faster" is completely incorrect. There is a trade-off to be made; it's just that for most of us we will never see the effects of it so the trade is worthwhile.

Oh, and also
1) can be overcome with a retune
2) can be overcome by adding more power

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
No, I'm not "just repeating what someone has said." I, in fact, am a physicist, so I think I know what I'm talking about when it comes to what amounts to a simple pulley problem. Adding steeper gears increases the required rpm required for any given speed. At 130 mph a car with 410s is going to be pushing more rpms that one with 331s, and the car with the 410s is going to reach its rpm limit faster than the one with 331s. That's basic math.

I've never disputed that fact! Of course any at given speed the RPM will be higher with the steeper gears, but you said it will limit the top speed that was the whole point of your first post and that is just plain old WRONG!!!

You said "The 4.10 will take away some top end speed" Then you said (and I'd love to know where this figure came from) "about 5mph"

The fact is you will NOT lose even 1 mile per hour off your top speed on this car.

I just can't stand when people present opinion as fact. I dont mean to be harsh, sorry if I was, but some people will read that first post and will start telling other people and so on and so on and that's how misinformation spreads.

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
You're also putting a lot more stress on your entire drivetrain with 410s. . . . .
I'm running 3.31's and plan to stay with them because I like the highway cruising RPM. (I would consider 3.55's but don't want to spend the money for such a small change). The rotational speed of stuff is generally not a big deal (until you get to extremes like running around at 5000+ RPM all the time) ; in many respects the higher rear-end ratio decreases stress on the drivetrain because everything is turning "freer" (same torque on driveshaft produces higher torque at the rear wheels)

. . . . There is a trade-off to be made; it's just that for most of us we will never see the effects of it so the trade is worthwhile.
Yes definitely a trade off -- for me the major trade-off is highway crusing RPM and MPG (directly related to each other) . . . the OP didn't ask about this ; but as usual the answer is "it depends" -- meaning it depends on what you want the car for; I want mine for commuting so I like my 3.31 rear; Chris and some others want theirs for stoplight-to-stoplight fun so the 4.10's are probably better for them.

Oh, and also
1) can be overcome with a retune
2) can be overcome by adding more power
1) yeah but not the drag limit which probably isn't much higher
2) no fair! ;) anything can be overcome with more power but that really isn't relevant here

To the OP -- since your car is an automatic you should not see a reduction in 0-60 performance, it should be better. That might happen in a manual because you would have an additional shift (with my 3.31 rear, 2nd is good for about 65 MPH, but if I had 4.10's I would need to shift to 3rd to get to 60 and that shift takes time)

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Chris and some others want theirs for stoplight-to-stoplight fun so the 4.10's are probably better for them.

quote]

Hey! I use mine for all my daily driving. I drive it alllllll the way the 1/2 mile to work each day. So I'm putting at least a mile a day on my stang! Oh and most times I come home for lunch, so now we're talking 2 miles a day. That's 10 miles per week pal! :laugh::nogrinner:gringreen:yup::grinroll::winks

-Chris

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Hey! I use mine for all my daily driving. I drive it alllllll the way the 1/2 mile to work each day. So I'm putting at least a mile a day on my stang! Oh and most times I come home for lunch, so now we're talking 2 miles a day. That's 10 miles per week pal! :laugh::nogrinner:gringreen:yup::grinroll::winks

-Chris
ha ha, OK I stand corrected, I guess that DOES qualify as a "Daily Driver" :D

What do you call it when your commute is 50 miles each way, like mine? Maybe it's a "Daily Godsend" since I would die of boredom in a regular boring car.

·
Registered
568 Posts
ha ha, OK I stand corrected, I guess that DOES qualify as a "Daily Driver" :D

What do you call it when your commute is 50 miles each way, like mine? Maybe it's a "Daily Godsend" since I would die of boredom in a regular boring car.
Too bad it makes your odometer spin like a turbine :( I have a ~50 mile round trip and I hate making even random trips to the store because I feel like I already put so many miles on it just driving to and from work.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Wow, that sucks guys. 50 miles total is bad. 50 each way is brutal.

Now I understand your concern about gas mileage J Bert. 100 miles a day and I'd have probably stayed with the 3.31 too.

Well, at least you're in a cool car!

I guy at work has a 5.4 liter F-150. He drives in from Indiana every day. Over 70 miles each way and the guy only works about 4 hours a day.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
quote]

-Chris[/quote]

I thought I had it good I only drive 6 miles a day and I also come home for lunch!! Any excuse to drive the stang! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
52 Posts
I drive my 2005 gt a 1/4 Mile to work everyday HAHA seriously !! soes that mean i should definitely get 4:10 s LMAO ! :heha::bounce2:

really my car has 90K on the clock, still holding up fine, 90% of my driving is city driving, im mostly concerned about the additionnal stress on the drivetrain, i wouldnt want to be hurting my transmition or engine, what do you guys think?

i was thinking of 3:73s, im naturally aspired for now with just a k&n filter.

do you have any idea about the 1/4 mile time shaved off with each gear?

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
. . . im mostly concerned about the additionnal stress on the drivetrain, i wouldnt want to be hurting my transmition or engine, what do you guys think?
There is basically no additional stress on the engine or transmission due to the change or rear end ratio. If anything it would reduce stress on the engine and transmission because they are working through higher mechanical advantage; for the same amount of torque reaching the ground the engine has to put out less torque and the transmission has to transmit less torque.

The only added stress to the engine would be that you are running around and slightly higher RPM all the time; but this is not big deal unless you are running around at redline all the time.

Rear axle and wheels will see higher torque but I don't think it is a concern.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
quote]

-Chris
I thought I had it good I only drive 6 miles a day and I also come home for lunch!! Any excuse to drive the stang! :bigthumbsup[/quote]

Yeah I hear ya! 6 miles is good too. But the .74 miles is super sweet!:yup:

Yes I will use an excuse to jump in my car:gringreen

Yes for the poster above .25 miles to work, means you definitely need 4.10s OR 4.30s. I wish I'd gone with the 4.30 TBH:yup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts