Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I'm proud of it but dang these b1tches are quick. roll from 60-ish, he got the jump but i stayed even till 4th then pulled. Got to give props to the kid, he pulled over and bs'd with me for a bit. he was bone stock and all i had was my CAI and 91 tune. They don't make huge power but at 700lbs lighter that makes up for quite a bit. Might have really sucked if he'd had a few mods :eyebulge:

If you're not well-modded don't be snoozing next to one of these.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
*sniff*:sosad: I'd hate to admit it, but it seems like the V-8s reign is nearing its end. Now that car companies are actually throwing turbo's and chargers in light cars cuz they know young people will buy them, doesn't seem like our muscular V-8s have much dominance.

So frustrating cuz all through my teen years I dreamed of owning a muscle car with a nice V8 since they seemed to dominate the road when I took notice of them(90s and later for me...born in '81). Now that I can finally afford one, they start making cars cheap as heck that can keep up with the new 05.

On the bright side, they'll never have the heritage that the muscle cars have. The srt-4 is going out as quickly as it came in since younger generations don't have the buying power that mid twenty-somethings and later have.

Oh and BTW, I read the cobalt SS's 0-60 is not even under 6 seconds. From a roll since weight is almost negated since your moving, Iwould think the stang would be even more of a beast upon the cobalt....correct me if I'm wrong?

·
Registered
244 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
*sniff*:sosad: I'd hate to admit it, but it seems like the V-8s reign is nearing its end. Now that car companies are actually throwing turbo's and chargers in light cars cuz they know young people will buy them, doesn't seem like our muscular V-8s have much dominance.

So frustrating cuz all through my teen years I dreamed of owning a muscle car with a nice V8 since they seemed to dominate the road when I took notice of them(90s and later for me...born in '81). Now that I can finally afford one, they start making cars cheap as heck that can keep up with the new 05.

On the bright side, they'll never have the heritage that the muscle cars have. The srt-4 is going out as quickly as it came in since younger generations don't have the buying power that mid twenty-somethings and later have.
Our reign isn't coming to an end, it's just we have more people challenging now. It's always true that you can fix any car to beat any other car with the proper amount of money and so on, but right now, and I see no indication of this changing, the few car's that can even slightly compare to us are few and far between. While it is average for us to say, hey we beat an Integra, we beat an SRT-4, we beat an SS Cobalt or a WRX...for them it is a lot more glorious. They're like the top of their food chain, but still in the lower end of ours. Like being a freshman in high school and banging a really really hot senior...you could brag about that for years right. But when you're a senior banging a hot freshman, it's a lot more common and easy to come by. It's not that our reign is ending, we will never be taken over, our V-8's will continue to get stronger, and faster, now that Chevy is making LS2 engines, what will Ford do next, I can envision a 400hp n/a Mach 1 in the near future...what will the 4-bangers do then???

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
YORCHI said:
Like being a freshman in high school and banging a really really hot senior...you could brag about that for years right. But when you're a senior banging a hot freshman, it's a lot more common and easy to come by.
Well said, love the analogy!:heha:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
YORCHI said:
Our reign isn't coming to an end, it's just we have more people challenging now. It's always true that you can fix any car to beat any other car with the proper amount of money and so on, but right now, and I see no indication of this changing, the few car's that can even slightly compare to us are few and far between. While it is average for us to say, hey we beat an Integra, we beat an SRT-4, we beat an SS Cobalt or a WRX...for them it is a lot more glorious. They're like the top of their food chain, but still in the lower end of ours. Like being a freshman in high school and banging a really really hot senior...you could brag about that for years right. But when you're a senior banging a hot freshman, it's a lot more common and easy to come by. It's not that our reign is ending, we will never be taken over, our V-8's will continue to get stronger, and faster, now that Chevy is making LS2 engines, what will Ford do next, I can envision a 400hp n/a Mach 1 in the near future...what will the 4-bangers do then???
Yeah, maybe you're right.:) I love my stang, I'll nver stop luvin' that sweet sweet rumble of the 4.6L

what will the 4-bangers do then???
Throw on another couple turbo's?:sleeping:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm definitely not worried about any reins coming to an end. Also, I didn't know those things were running 12-lbs stock.

·
Registered
244 Posts
blackened said:
Yeah, I'm definitely not worried about any reins coming to an end. Also, I didn't know those things were running 12-lbs stock.
Think about it, yes the car is stock in the sense they just bought it...but is it pure engine power like ours??? I get this alot from idiot 03-04 Cobra owners about my car, they say well my car is still the fastest Mustang ever made...to which I reply, I have a better engine, without the supercharger, wanna unbolt ur supercharger and put it on mine and see who's faster then???

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I'm with Yorchi on this one. I dyno'd again today and with no blower and only 2 valves per cylinder I'm only making 40-50 ft-lbs of torque less than an 03-04 Cobra at the flywheel and I haven't even taken off a valve cover yet. I can't wait to talk to wife into a set of cams and gears.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Until v-8's stop making more than 300+ hp, and 4 or 6 bangers start making more than 275+hp, we will continue to be the kings of the hill.
Just remember... just cause you banged one hot senior chick your freshman year, doesn't mean you still won't get picked on by the rest of the varsity football team in the locker rooms

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
YORCHI said:
Until v-8's stop making more than 300+ hp, and 4 or 6 bangers start making more than 275+hp, we will continue to be the kings of the hill.
Just remember... just cause you banged one hot senior chick your freshman year, doesn't mean you still won't get picked on by the rest of the varsity football team in the locker rooms
Er, EVO8, STI, Porsche, BMW, and Benzes all have 4-6 cylinder engines that make 300+hp.

·
Registered
55 Posts
actually i dont think the evo or the sti is push over 280 in hp the 04 evo is a 13.3 car the 04 cobra is a 12.9 car and i dont car what you do to evo if you put the same amount of money in a cobra it will always kill it thats goes for the sti or any other import and i dont think any import will every take over just for simple fact you get more pluck for buck with mustang as my dads say who also owns brand new gt and a 91 5.0 :laughlitt

·
Registered
977 Posts
YORCHI said:
Think about it, yes the car is stock in the sense they just bought it...but is it pure engine power like ours??? I get this alot from idiot 03-04 Cobra owners about my car, they say well my car is still the fastest Mustang ever made...to which I reply, I have a better engine, without the supercharger, wanna unbolt ur supercharger and put it on mine and see who's faster then???
How do you have the better engine? The Cobra is a low compression motor with a blower from the factoy. Yours is a higer compression n/a motor from the factory. The Cobra's internals were built for boost as well. It's so easy to gain power with the 03-04 Cobra's relatively cheap. Nothing wrong with the late model Mach 1, I think it's the best looking of all the 99-04 Stangs, but if pure hp/tq is what a person is looking for, you can't beat the 03/04 Cobra.

·
Registered
977 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
I'm with Yorchi on this one. I dyno'd again today and with no blower and only 2 valves per cylinder I'm only making 40-50 ft-lbs of torque less than an 03-04 Cobra at the flywheel and I haven't even taken off a valve cover yet. I can't wait to talk to wife into a set of cams and gears.
That's good torque but what was your average torque across the rpm range? That's what counts. Your peak torque comes within 50 ft-lbs of a stock 03/04 Cobra but does it have the copious amounts of torque from 2000rpm to 5000rpm like the Cobra. You add cams and gears, the Cobra owner adds a pulley, cat-back, cai, ported blower and tune. His torque from, say 2500rpm to 500rpm, is 400 ft-lbs and above. Actually, from 3000-5000rpms, the torque is 450ft-lbs at the wheels. Hard to beat without cubes, nitrous, blower or turbo. IMO, bang for the buck goes to the 03/04 Cobra owners.

·
Registered
244 Posts
kscoyote said:
Er, EVO8, STI, Porsche, BMW, and Benzes all have 4-6 cylinder engines that make 300+hp.
The point of this thread was an 05 GT vs a Cobalt SS, thats 300hp vs 205hp. Our reign will never end to those fellas. STI's, EVO's, M3's, *sorry if I forgot a few*, you're right, they are the one's we should worry about...but just like you can't call an SS Camaro or 03/04 Cobra a normal v-8, you wouldn't call them a normal 4 banger would you...I sure as hell won't, unless I wanna get killed at the track by them.

·
Registered
244 Posts
95MGTS said:
How do you have the better engine? The Cobra is a low compression motor with a blower from the factoy. Yours is a higer compression n/a motor from the factory. The Cobra's internals were built for boost as well. It's so easy to gain power with the 03-04 Cobra's relatively cheap. Nothing wrong with the late model Mach 1, I think it's the best looking of all the 99-04 Stangs, but if pure hp/tq is what a person is looking for, you can't beat the 03/04 Cobra.
well of course I can't beat it's hp/tq, its freakin Super Charged. But that's what I meant, it was my ricer excuse hahahaha...Just like ricer's say, well if it was a 4 banger I'd beat you, well I always answer stupid comments with another stupid comment, so I say, well if your car wasn't supercharged, I'd beat you...
Now when someone looks at the possiblities of my car, and looks at it reasonably and says, it's pretty cool they can make a Mach 1 that runs low to mid 13's with a good driver right ouf the box, without having to touch anything except the traction control button...those are the guys I answer respectively saying, yeah but your car can run low 12's with the exact same driver. :worship :worship :worship :worship :drool:

·
Registered
295 Posts
YORCHI said:
well of course I can't beat it's hp/tq, its freakin Super Charged. But that's what I meant, it was my ricer excuse hahahaha...Just like ricer's say, well if it was a 4 banger I'd beat you, well I always answer stupid comments with another stupid comment, so I say, well if your car wasn't supercharged, I'd beat you...
Now when someone looks at the possiblities of my car, and looks at it reasonably and says, it's pretty cool they can make a Mach 1 that runs low to mid 13's with a good driver right ouf the box, without having to touch anything except the traction control button...those are the guys I answer respectively saying, yeah but your car can run low 12's with the exact same driver. :worship :worship :worship :worship :drool:
what i like is when i smoke a ricer and they normally say, like you said, well i could have won if your car wasn't supercharged. to which i reply, well if would do your homework on your cars, i wouldn't have to waste my gas. i even had a ricer accuse me of having hidden nos on the 02' gt i had. so when i popped the hood and asked him to find this so called hidden nos, i pointed out there wasn't any nozzles,lines,anything that would lead you to think i was running the bootle. i had everything except nos,blower,or turbo.ported heads, custom grind cams,the works.very quick car, but i just love the sound of the blower whine, and rush of power when i stand on. 03-04 cobras kick ass, but i think all stangs kick ass! can't wait until the gt500 is released. now if i can just win the lottery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
just so you guys know, the cobalt ss has been dyno'd stock (albeit a dynojet) at 229whp.. unsure of the torque but the #'s are definitely low-balled from the factory.

:tongue

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
I think he had some mods , I was on a Cobalt SS site ,and looking at there 1/4 #s , and stock they seem to be mid 14sec cars , some mod SS are running low 14`s !
I cant see it running with a 05 Mustang ! unless you have a factory dude or you cant drive , or he has mods, you take your pick !;)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My only mod is JLT w/ 91 tune. There's wasn't much driving to the race as we rolled from 60. he got the jump. i stayed 1/2 length behind him thru 3rd then hit 4th and reeled him in. i was impressed/shocked that i didn't smack him down but i'm definitely not disappointed by my car or my driving of it. I just accept that 2700lb 2.0L w/ 12lbs boost. = quick

the AM is obviously just beginning for these cars so don't be suprised if before too long they'll be giving even the all-mighty 03/04 cobra's a scare (stock ones of course :eyepoppin )

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.