Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've got an 05 GT that just got some longtubes on it. However as you can see from the picture the drivers side header barley rubs the steering shaft. Taking them out and denting them is really not an option so I need another way to fix them. I read this from another post:
"take a crowbar and gently bend the header until the steering shaft doesn't interfere. it sucks to have to bend it but sometimes you just have to do it. my friend and i had to take a crowbar to his $1000+ jet coated kooks longtubes on his 05 GTO."
Is this a viable way to fix the problem? Thanks guys! BTW is still seems to drive fine, and turns fine but figure this could be an issue later down the line.

Attachments

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
forgot to include they also hit the motor mount bolt on the passenger side...

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. Not sure if it will be an issue but I'm wondering if I shift the engine over a 1/4th of an inch or so if this will fix both problems? Can someone tell me how to shift the engine over?

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. Not sure if it will be an issue but I'm wondering if I shift the engine over a 1/4th of an inch or so if this will fix both problems? Can someone tell me how to shift the engine over?

Cocking the engine a 1/4" inch to clear would cause your transmission/shifter to move to right likely causing a bigger problem ,,

You're on the right track with your 1st idea,, you need to bend the header to clear the steering link ...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Can you get in there with an air hammer/chisel and dent them inplace rather than having to drop it and do it? How about with a socket extention and a hammer? Gotta be a way to do it without dropping them.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cocking the engine a 1/4" inch to clear would cause your transmission/shifter to move to right likely causing a bigger problem ,,

You're on the right track with your 1st idea,, you need to bend the header to clear the steering link ...
Yeah..

Can you get in there with an air hammer/chisel and dent them inplace rather than having to drop it and do it? How about with a socket extention and a hammer? Gotta be a way to do it without dropping them.
I think if I take the steering shaft off I could get enough room to hit the headers, and I could jack the engine up a bit to hit the other side. I've just never dented headers before so I'm not completely sure how to do it..

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
What brand headers are they? Im curious as longtubes are on my list of mods to get.

·
Registered
709 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JBA headers, it's weird, I've never heard of these problems with these, than again all these cars seem to be a little different underneath..

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
just a thought, would lower motor mounts that drop you down 1/2, give you the clearance that you need?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Header fix

One of the best and easiest ways to fix an interference problem is to mark the contact area with a magic marker. Remove the header and using the correct size deep socket dimple the header at the trouble spot using a hammer. All you need is a slight depression at the trouble spot. No scratches, no mess, pretty straight forward. Tape off the surrounding area with blue painters tape to avoid any additional marks or scratches. Hope this helps. Good luck, Rascal.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same problem with different long tubes...I didn't really want to dent them being that i just bought them, so I bought Prothane Bullet Motor Mounts and it seems to raise the engine just enough so it doesn't rub. I have also tried moving the engine over a little but it still hit when I accelerated through turns because the stock mounts give a little, but the new mounts fixed it for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts