Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 05 Mustang GT with manual transmission about a week and a half ago and I am noticing some noise coming from the transmission that was not there when I drove off the lot. The sound is the loudest when from a dead stop I give just enough gas to get moving. The sound is hard to describle. It is like a cranking or grinding noise. I spoke with the dealer and they said that a few other people have noticed this and that "Ford is calling it normal." I was just wondering if anyone on here has noticed this noise. Thanks for your help!

·
Banned
129 Posts
Sounds like due to agressive driving and quick shifts with maybe a misshift burned up your synchros.

Does this happen more when you shift fast? What gears do you hear this sound when you shift?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not extremely loud. It is 1st and 2nd gear. 3rd gear is much quieter. I have not driven the car very hard. I have floored it a couple times but I did not burn the clutch or red line it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This car was made for aggresive driving if the car can't stand a few dumped clutches then there should be somthing the dealer can do if anything breaks i wouldn't worry about it untill and if somthing more serious happens but it is always a good idea to mention it to the dealer this way they know it didn't happen suddenly out of aggresive driving. smoke em up!:winks

·
Registered
48 Posts
My manual tranny makes all kinds of noises, with the exception of grinding. Shifts fine though. Last night I missed third gear on a 2-3 power shift and then thanked God for the rev limiter!

Doesn't seem to me like a whole lot of sound insulation made it into the '05 Mustang. I don't mind - I kinda like all the mechanical sounds coming from it. If it were my daily driver, I might not feel the same way. My '04 F-150 is silent by comparison.

·
Registered
66 Posts
crdshrp said:
Sounds like due to agressive driving and quick shifts with maybe a misshift burned up your synchros.

Does this happen more when you shift fast? What gears do you hear this sound when you shift?
So crdshrp how does yours shift? Didn't you pick yours up on the 10th?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I believe I also hear this sound, although it has done it since I bought it. It's almost like a low "rattling" or "grinding" sound, though without any scraping to it. It only happens when I just barely accelerate with the clutch partially out when I'm started from a full stop.

It didn't worry me, because my friend has a '97 TransAm with 111K miles on it and it has done it since she bought it (and apparently always has). It is much louder on the TransAm, but she says that she has read around and it is common and is not an indication of some kind of defect. I'm afraid I don't know what the actual cause of the noise is, but apparently it isn't a problem. Of course, if anyone knows more specific information, or finds out otherwise, please feel free to correct me!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have driven a Ranger that made those types of noises. Almost sounds like the clutch is slipping a little bit.

Also, the 03 Cobra I have driven has some 5th and 6th gear whine. . . supposed to be normal tho.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The gear noise in 1st and 2nd gear is normal for the T3650 trans. The 1st and 2nd gears are cut at an pitch which improves gear durability under hard acceleration. Being a service tech I've driven alot of Mustangs with that trans and they all make some noise in 1st and 2nd. Since the 05 Mustang is so much quieter than the previous generation the noise is more noticeable. The T56 used the Cobras is a very noisy trans, alot of gear noise and clunkly shift action.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just got my new stang on Monday (1-17-2005). I to heard the noise at first, knew about noisy trans in the cars but I was a like others in the thinking of prob just a first gen issue. BUT, the wife had come home in it after work on Wednesday and I was out side in the garage and she had shut her down, I heard the worst rattle come from the car I had ever heard. I got in started it up and shut it down and did not here it again. Had her get into and start it up and shut it down and heard the noise. Come to find out when she turns the car off she leaves it neutral and lets the clutch out before shutting it off. Anyways took it to the dealer and they checked it out and thought that was not right either, so they called ford up and asked what to do. Ford said to remove the trans and replace it with a new one that they would send to them and not try to repair it. Ford said they wanted the trans sent back to them for inspection. So now mine is going to be in the shop longer than I have had to drive it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
zman2800 said:
Just got my new stang on Monday (1-17-2005). I to heard the noise at first, knew about noisy trans in the cars but I was a like others in the thinking of prob just a first gen issue. BUT, the wife had come home in it after work on Wednesday and I was out side in the garage and she had shut her down, I heard the worst rattle come from the car I had ever heard. I got in started it up and shut it down and did not here it again. Had her get into and start it up and shut it down and heard the noise. Come to find out when she turns the car off she leaves it neutral and lets the clutch out before shutting it off. Anyways took it to the dealer and they checked it out and thought that was not right either, so they called ford up and asked what to do. Ford said to remove the trans and replace it with a new one that they would send to them and not try to repair it. Ford said they wanted the trans sent back to them for inspection. So now mine is going to be in the shop longer than I have had to drive it.
Update for my bad luck… My car is still at the shop (at a dallas/fort worth location):( I now have had the clutch and the trans replaced with new ones and it is still making the noise. The South/West Ford regional manager and a ford engineer have come looked at it and are dumbfounded. Now the engineer is on the phone with the production engineers in Detroit to see what needs to be done next.

Now for the 3 days I drove it I loved that car.... Now I am going to crawl back into bed and cry myself to sleep.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Mine is a daily driver. It replaced my F-150. It's not the quietest ride on the road but it is fun to drive. I'll have to turn my radio down and pay attention to the sounds, and make sure nothing is blowing up on mine.

Maybe that is why my dealer tried to push the shaker systems. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well I've had my 05 GT 5spd manual for 2 weeks. Experienced a LOUD clacking/grinding noise from the transmission yesterday. Murphy's law was in effect briefly when it stopped. Fortunately when I took it to the dealer later in the day, it did it again for the Service Tech! My dealer is ordering a new transmission for the car and is due to be here next week (hopefully!). So, if you are experiencing similar symptoms, make the dealer replace the transmission! It is under warranty, so they should not argue the point with you. If they do keep on them and bug your Area Service Rep! If this does not help, call the Better Business Bureau, they would love to hear from you! There are Lemon laws in most states too.

Interesting that the 5spd Man is supposed to be a pretty bullet proof heavy duty transmission. A lot of racers use this same one, so I wonder why these problems are cropping up????

I love my new GT and plan to keep it a long time (Extended Warranty 7/75K), but sounds like early model/first year blues for us. My Ford Dealer here in Alabama normally (past experience with a '94 Ranger Splash 4.0 5 spd) will fix problems without much prodding. Keep us up on what happens to you.
Many upgrades to come!

·
Registered
106 Posts
wsd42 said:
Well I've had my 05 GT 5spd manual for 2 weeks. Experienced a LOUD clacking/grinding noise from the transmission yesterday. Murphy's law was in effect briefly when it stopped. Fortunately when I took it to the dealer later in the day, it did it again for the Service Tech! My dealer is ordering a new transmission for the car and is due to be here next week (hopefully!). So, if you are experiencing similar symptoms, make the dealer replace the transmission! It is under warranty, so they should not argue the point with you. If they do keep on them and bug your Area Service Rep! If this does not help, call the Better Business Bureau, they would love to hear from you! There are Lemon laws in most states too.

Interesting that the 5spd Man is supposed to be a pretty bullet proof heavy duty transmission. A lot of racers use this same one, so I wonder why these problems are cropping up????

I love my new GT and plan to keep it a long time (Extended Warranty 7/75K), but sounds like early model/first year blues for us. My Ford Dealer here in Alabama normally (past experience with a '94 Ranger Splash 4.0 5 spd) will fix problems without much prodding. Keep us up on what happens to you.
Many upgrades to come!
Good luck the new tranny did now fix mine. The dealer gave it back and they are waiting for some engineers to fly down from Detroit now. The one engineer that came had no idea what the noise was. They had a new gt come in that did not make the noise and replaced it’s tranny, clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throw out bearing, thow out fork, and the hydraulics with mine and mine still made the noise. They also checked to make sure that play in the rear main bearing was to spec (which they where). So mine still is very noisy, and they said they believe that it is not a safety issue. Then to top it all off I also have bad strut bearings.(those are being replaced on Monday). Just my luck, I just turned 700 miles on it.. It makes it hard to complain to much to them since the 05 is such a beautiful car!

BTW I have no complaints about the service depart, they where even understanding enough that since they had the car longer than I did they are going to pay for my first months car note!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts