Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I know...maybe not what your thinking, but my older bro bought an 05 vette, and we wer talking about a friendly drag race at our local track. I know the vette is faster, more HP, and lighter. My question is whats the secret to a good launch off the line? T/C on or off? RPM @ launch? RPM shift speeds? Tire pressure?? Again were both stock, both sticks, and I know he is faster, but I though if I can get a good launch, so I may not get spanked as bad. :yakyak:

Tim

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well as I said, he's my brother, we thought it would be cool to race. I want to know how I can improve MYSELF, I know the only way I'll win is if he miss shifts, or have a rotten R/T. Tim

·
Registered
359 Posts
Since it is your brother, perhaps he would switch between races and see what the results are.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have driven his, and he has driven mine, though not on the track....but I will say this, even his vette has the nav system, and onstar, and all the other bells and whistles, he still loves mine with the shaker 1000..:drink:

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Is it bad to like the new Vette? IT looks so nice but I must say I feel dirty after thinking things like that. Haha. Don't worry...I love my 05 GT and nothing compares to it.

Any opinions on how the GT500 will stock up against the new vette? I haven't seen any performance numbers on it, like 0-60?

·
Registered
478 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
Is it bad to like the new Vette? IT looks so nice but I must say I feel dirty after thinking things like that. Haha. Don't worry...I love my 05 GT and nothing compares to it.

Any opinions on how the GT500 will stock up against the new vette? I haven't seen any performance numbers on it, like 0-60?

In my mind, as long as it is American isit is ok to like. I used to have a 99 Vette. My Mustang is just as fun, altough I miss being able to take the center top of the Vette, it was almost as good as a convertible.

One thing that wouldn't be fun in the Vette would be filling up with 92, although my six speed used to average 32 miles a gallon on the highway. You could cruis @ 75 mph @ 1600 rpm. Though I now the Stang is a muscle car, I wish it had a 6 spd manual for even better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would still like to know from you out there that have raced, again, tire pressure, shift points, T/C on or off, etc, etc, etc....

This is what I'm going to race....:bouncer

Attachments

G

·
My freind has an 03 vette, with my mods I can hang with him. The '05 vette I think has 50 more HP?

Need that S/C...

·
Registered
23 Posts
traction off do a small burnout, drive around the water box if ur using ur street tires, just haze em alittle bit. rev up to about 2800, at launch slip the clutch a bit for the first few ft then mash it, shift at about 5750-5800, and hope he spins or misses a shift, a win is a win

·
Registered
67 Posts
Never noticed those fugly-ass side mirrors on the new vette. WTF?!?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hello Tim

Well it varies alot in your elevation area. Like for instance here in TX. the elevation is alot different.
But this is my two cents.
I know that the 05 GT likes the mid to higher RPM's. Keep the car in that area when shifting keep it in the power band. Also I would do a couple of mock up races to get familar to the car. Do your burn out with the Traction Control turned off. You will be able to get the tires hot and sticky. After that is done reingauge the traction control. You will not have to worry about any type of wheel slipage. I would probably feather the clutch in at about 3,k rpm when leaving out of the hole and then droping the hammer when rolling at about 15 to 20 feet after leaving the light. Keep an eye on the tech and driving takes practice I would shift between 4500 to 5500 rpm. This all depends on the elevation in your area somethings will change. Shift points and Launch Points.
I have done many many races and elevation and outside temp and humidity has alot to do with it.
One last thing GOOD LUCK!!!
Let me know if you need anything else.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome back Fred

Thanks for the info Fred. Hoe the heck are ya?? Nice to see ya typing again. have ya heard anything about the global window thingy?? or I also noticed that in the OM I should be able to unlock both doors with the key in the door, alas, I cannot, is that too tied in with the Global window's feature?? thanks, P.S. I'll send ya picts of the race when it happens. Take care Friend

Tim

·
Registered
126 Posts
According to those stats posted above, the 05 Vettes is almost 1 second less than the 05 Stang GT in the 1/4 mile.

That's stock vs stock.

My next car will be a Vette :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
LordBritish said:
According to those stats posted above, the 05 Vettes is almost 1 second less than the 05 Stang GT in the 1/4 mile.

That's stock vs stock.

My next car will be a Vette :)
For the extra $20,000.00 I'll take the Mustang, spend half of it and still have a faster and quicker car with plenty of extra money to buy gas and tires. Plus I could take a few friends to watch the Mustang take the Vette down.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ScottHalliday said:
Tim, we just posted an article by popularmechanics on "mustang vs corvette" you and your brother might find interesting :) Here's the link if you would like to check it out:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/artman/publish/Mustang_vs_Corvette.shtml
I saw that Scott, thanks, I sent it to my brother. We both found it interesting just how close the cars were... one second in the 1/4. The best part is I think my brother accually like my GT more than his Vette, or at least mine gets more looks when were out playing. Tim

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LordBritish said:
1 second in the 1/4 mile is a big difference.

That's a spanking :drink:
one second, and $20,000 less.........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.