Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been a while that my 05 Mustang GT's fan relay keeps losing contact. Every now and then I have to stop by the side of the road and pop open the hood and move the relay about until the fan works again. After a while the fan stops again and I have to repeat the same thing.
I fixed it temporarily by putting in copper wire in the contact that comes loose to keep it in place, but it just burned the plastic around it and the relay gave me a hard time.
Do you guys have any suggestions? I am thinking of jumping the relay to make the fan run directly, since i live in a really hot country anyway.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

I wanted to add, the contact point on the relay that comes loose is burnt black. Ive changed relays and this happens to every one of them.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I would replace the pigtail/socket assembly and probably the relay as well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pigtail/socket assembly on the fan?

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd definitely change out the relay (arcing etc) and try and fix the plug in where the relay plugs. The terminals can easily be bent back to correct shape with with a small pair of needle nosed pliers. Make sure you disconnect the battery first, as it can arc and short another system out if you are not careful. It sounds like an easy fix, go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
The pigtail/socket assembly on the fan?
No sir. On the relay. Sounds like a connection problem. I'd eliminate the complete assemble and replace with another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts