Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember reading somewhere that Long tube headers are illegal because all require the Cats to relocated and that changing the location of the Cats is what is a big no-no. If that is true, is the Catted H-Pipe MRT makes street legal. The Cats are in a different location compared to the stock pipes? Surely, these have to be street legal, why would they bother if they weren't. So what is the deal?

·
Registered
152 Posts
well my friend got long tube headers for his Camaro and when the place installed them they had to be taken out because it would not all fit. And yes i think not having cats are illegal but i dont know about moving them.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Anything other than the OEM (or replacement OEM) cats are illegal on any pollution controlled vehicle. There are no 50 state legal catted midpipes that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Some states may be more lenient during emission testing than others. California is probably one of the pickiest states; others may be happy if the car passes.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
If the test is just an OBDII it would likely pass unless there was an O2 sensor issue. If there was a visual, it likely would not pass.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
So why do they bother with the cats at all? If the pipes aren't going to be legal.
It's also an issue of the sound. Cars with hi-flow cats are a bit quieter than ones without. The plus side to this mod is that it is relatively simple and emissions tests occur annually or later in most states. Make the swap for the test and swap back. 2 hours of work for a year (at the least) of fun and enjoyment. Not a bad deal IMO.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
also, i knew a guy with an '01 cobra who had no cats, and OMG did that thing smell putrid from behind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.