Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so my car was dying overnight and i had to jump it every morning. I had the alternator tested and 2 places confirmed it was bad. I replaced that for 250 bucks and the next morning hit a deer. Left it at the body shop for a week to get those repairs (another 250 dollars for a deductable) and got it back and noticed right away it was hard starting. This morning, it was so bad it almost didn't turn over at all.

I figure something is drawing power and draining the battery and assumed it was my amp for my subwoofers, however, using a light circuit thing have found out the draw is from the main terminal and not from my power amp cable. I am hoping someone is familiar with what system may be drawing this constant power and killing my battery as I have already smoked an alternator due to this problem. Any hlep would be HUGELY appreciated.

·
Registered
363 Posts
from what it sounds like with it having to be jumped and it having hard starts it sounds like your starter is starting to take a poop.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, im outside right now and the circuit tester shows that there is a draw, except when i uhooked the fuse box, the light is off, so its a system in there drawing the power, just wasnt sure if anyone had run into this problem and copuld save me from pulling each fuse one at a time to see what is drawing the power.

Also, it doesnt hard start everytime, only when it has sat 10 hours or more and the longer it sits, the worse it is...

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Make sure you don't have moisture in the smart junction box area. The removable panel on the passenger side.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
have you replaced your battery? i replaced mine and within days the oem died sitting on the bench. it was perfect timing. your due if you have the oem in there in which case i have 3 words. die hard gold

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
some have had problems with the shaker stereo. make sure you push the volume button and turn it off before u shut it off...might help

·
Registered
232 Posts
did you wire the amp and speakers yourself? If you didnt wire a remote wire coming from the head unit into the amp it could be drawing power...

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had this same problem at 40,000.
Funny I bought a die hard gold too. Havn't had a problem since. Those oem batteries can be crap.
I went through the whole test thing too. Found out there's a battery saver circuit that shuts everything down after the car has been sitting for 45 minutes, so to get a true test, you have to disconnect the pos cable and then reconnect with a jumper. Wait 45 minutes, attach the meter across it and then remove the jumper. This is how you'll know what's drawing when it is sitting overnight. I had a 3 1/2 amp draw at the fuse that goes to the smart junction box. I believe that's what killed my battery.
Do you remember ever starting it in the morning and it started ok, but the stereo memory was wiped out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.