Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right now i have the MAC boomtube axle back muffler and nothing else done to the exhaust. Also i plan to get my MAC longtube headers put in with possible magnaflow cats put in. Im planning on keeping the cats for sake of not throwing codes, and staying legal.

The thing that im trying to make a decision on besides what cats to put in is wether to get electric cutouts and return to the stock muffler or not. I've thought of this recently and my reasoning is that i can be loud when i want and be quiet when i want. The thing is i dont want my car to sound too canny. Its nice and deep with the current set up, but still sounds like a 6 and its a bit loud with drone.

Suggestions please. Also links to videos of our model v6 with cutouts or even vids of open headers would be greatly apprieciated .

J

·
0 Posts
Don't know where you are but where I am, Ohio law specifically forbids cut-outs (even if you've got 'em closed) on a street-driven vehicle. You might want to double-check the "staying legal" part.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
if i could do it i would put the cut-outs above the cats so it has the deepest rumble

·
Registered
128 Posts
true ohio laws say that but no cop is going to know he has cut outs if they r closed and alota cops dont know about cars and ohio has no emission testing. where are you going to put the cutouts? i hear it gets raspy if u run straight pipe (cutouts in your case) with no cats

·
Registered
201 Posts
you are not going to be able to fit cutouts before your cats
I have cutouts and pretty much the only place that will fit without them scraping the pavement is right after your x,h,or y-pipe.
I have them placed right after my x-pipe and by NO MEANS does it sound canny. very deep, very loud at WOT. Like hurts everyone's ears loud lol. Sounds like a muffled tuba kinda

·
Registered
505 Posts
true ohio laws say that but no cop is going to know he has cut outs if they r closed and alota cops dont know about cars and ohio has no emission testing. where are you going to put the cutouts? i hear it gets raspy if u run straight pipe (cutouts in your case) with no cats
Ohio does have emissions testing..every two years..at least in Lorain County it does....

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here in Minnesota there are no emissions tests so it couldn't be seen then. Even now with my current set up i stay in a higher gear around cops to keep the RPM's low.

Ideally I would have them after the cats. But then again I don't think there will be enough room to fit it all in.

@ Phillip360, it may be too much to ask, but can you get a picture of where your cutouts are? im not totally sure where you put yours. The whole scraping the exhaust doesnt sound too good. Also, do you get much backfire or popping with the cutouts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.