Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently bought a 2006 mustang GT. The rear driver wheel sticks out just a hair farther than the passenger wheel. The rims and tires are the same.

What causes this? And can it be fixed?

Id like the passenger to stick out just as much

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
First I'd switch the two rear wheels just to make sure that you don't have an odd wheel with a different offset. If that's not the issue then you should check the chassis for mis-alignment. Here's a couple "on the cheap" methods.

1. Have a friend follow you down a straight road and observe for "dog tracking". That's caused by the rear axle not being square with the chassis.
2. Support the rear axle on jack stands, take the wheels off and measure between the brake rotors and the fenders. You can clamp a straight edge on the rotor as needed. Then see if the axle is square with the chassis by careful measurements with point on the front end.

If there is frame damage or a rear axle alignment issue a frame shop should be able to fix the problem.

·
Registered
594 Posts
That is how some of the cars come from the factory, no problem just get an adjustable panhard bar and adjust your rear axle to center it on the back of the car

·
Registered
24 Posts
Has the car been lowered? This can occur when you lower the vehicle but leave the stock panhard bar. As the rear suspension geometry changes (and the length of the panhard bar does not) the axle has no choice but to move further to one side.

Assuming there's no damage (as Yadkin suggested checking) I'll second the motion for an adjustable panhard bar (and I'd replace the panhard bar brace while I was at it... the stock one flexes too much (in my opinion)).

Good luck!

·
Banned
822 Posts
I've recently bought a 2006 mustang GT. The rear driver wheel sticks out just a hair farther than the passenger wheel. The rims and tires are the same.

It's actually very common. My KR had the driver's side sticking out about 1/4" further than the passenger's side. Ususlly when you lower the rear, the driver's side will stick out a bit further. The KR has lower ride height than the standard GT500, so they're a little uneven from the factory. My Bullitt also offset to the left when I lowered it... Simple fix was an adjustable panhard bar. I went with the Spohn double poly-ended bars on both cars. :)

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
That is how some of the cars come from the factory, no problem just get an adjustable panhard bar and adjust your rear axle to center it on the back of the car
yep, mine is off a little too and it is stock (not lowered)

two choices:

1) ignore it

2) adjustable panhard bar

·
Registered
6,461 Posts

based on the fact that it's out to the left (and based on your avatar) I'd guess that it was lowered without replacing the panhard bar. Check out this pan hard bar. Lifetime guarantee, and free shipping in the month of July!

2005-2011 Ford Mustang Pro Street Double Adjustable Pan Hard Bar - UPR Products

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont know if its lowered, but might be... its pretty low.

aright so this pan hard bar will move the passager side out a little makeing them stick out the same?

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
i dont know if its lowered, but might be... its pretty low.

aright so this pan hard bar will move the passager side out a little makeing them stick out the same?
Dude, if it's the car in your avatar, it's hammered. At least 2" lower than stock!

The panhard bar doesn't move the passenger wheel in relation to the axle. (like a wheel spacer) It centers the rear axle in the car. You see, on 05+ Mustangs, when you lower them, the axle shifts to the left. The only way to correct the problem is to buy an adjustable panhard bar like I showed you (excellent quality and only $149) or a Watts link (BIIIIIIG MONEY!).

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
Crude animation of a panhard bar effect on lateral position here.

·
Registered
6,284 Posts
A better animation, more easily understood, near the bottom of the previous page, here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ah i see now...

yeah idk if its lowered. thats my car in avatar. so if u think it is, it could be.

yeah, i under stand the panhard bar now. ill order one... thanks!

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
ah i see now...

yeah idk if its lowered. thats my car in avatar. so if u think it is, it could be.

yeah, i under stand the panhard bar now. ill order one... thanks!
No problem. Happy to help. And seriously, based on your avatar, I'd say your car is lowered AT LEAST two inches. These cars are 4x4s from the factory!!

But anyway, yeah, the UPR Pan Hard bar will fix ya right up!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good luck with it. I agree, yours defintely looks lowered. They sit notably high in the rear end stock... like when I was a youngster and would jack my car up with air shocks!

With it this low, two other things in the category of "watch out for that"... front strut mount issues and bump steer. These cars have relatively week front strut mounts and when the car is lowered it puts more strain on them. The result is often that they split, then make a popping noise from the front. And with it this low, you'll likely be at the limit of the adjustability to get it aligned. Both of these issues are easily fixed with aftermarket adjustable mounts.

And lastly, the bump steer... also an effect of altered geometry. You're driving down the road, you go over a raise spot in the road (like changing lanes sometimes) and there's notable momentary pull on the steering wheel. Look for a bump steer kit if you experience that issue.

Enjoy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts