Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '06 GT. At idle I have a knocking noise (which sounds like a rod knock) coming from the valve cover area. I think it is the cam phase sensors???? Anyway the noise comes and goes. When it is present it is embarrasing and pisses me off.

Anyone have this going on?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
JONRCK said:
I have an '06 GT. At idle I have a knocking noise (which sounds like a rod knock) coming from the valve cover area. I think it is the cam phase sensors???? Anyway the noise comes and goes. When it is present it is embarrasing and pisses me off.

Anyone have this going on?
There are a few things that can cause that, one of them would be the fuel injector noise, which is normal. take it to your dealer to be sure.

·
Registered
599 Posts
It could also be your clutch.:sosad: Try listening for the noise and push down the clutch pedal and see if that cures your knock. Mine was really botherin me at first, but now its just part of our rugged transmission.:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Yeah I use to have the same problem :sosad: when I first bought my '05 but after I got the CAI and tuned the car the knocking stopped:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knocking noise

I tried pushing in the clutch, it does not change. The noise is clearly coming from the engine. It sound like valve train speed, and I am not sure it the cam followers can make the noise or not. Also as I mentioned before, I think the cam phase sensors could be the problem. Someone I know at Ford said there was a TSB for the sensors????

I just got home from driving the car for a couple of hours on and off. The noise did not occur at all. This leaves me to beleive it is coming from a lifter type part (like the followers, which I think are hydraulic, or the cam phase sensors) It seems as if whatever it is, starts bleeding down, and then the knocking begins.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Knocking noise in engine

I went to the dealer today. The shop foreman listened and said he has heard the exact noise from several Saleen's???? He also knew what was causing the noise in the Saleen's. Apparently the balancer bolt (after installing underdrive pulley's, which come with a Saleen) loosens up and causes this rod knock like noise. Well sure enough we popped my hood, and looked down at the balancer with a small mirror. I was so embarrassed, but the balancer bolt was completely missing! I installed the pulley's myself, and I used to be a tech at the Ford dealership for years. Anyway, I guess I didn't tighten the balancer bolt enough. Lucky for me the balancer didn't fly off the crank! They had an extra bolt and washer laying around, and ran it on with the impact gun for me. The noise is gone now!

FYI---- If you installed pulley's go back and make sure the bolt is tight. Even if someone else did the install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts