Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am wondering if anyone else has had a problem with there cars overheating at the track? i have been running my 06 at a track thats 3.55 miles and had the overheat light come on, so i installed a BE-COOL radiator thinking this would solve the problem and it still did it this weekend. called BE-COOL and they sent me to FRPP tech line and it seems there is a problem with the sending units not reading the right temp!!!!! looks like my car was not overheating at all!!

·
Registered
633 Posts
What's your build date?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
august 05 i think on the 19th

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Interesting indeed, as you know my 06 of 10/06 will be going around that same course with you on Monday, keke.

This just start the last few times at the track, or since day one?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
first track day it was fine. with instructor and not alot of high speed. second track day had to run with heater on most of the day, thats when i ordered the new oversize radiator. still had problems so i am installing a temp gauge so i will know what the actual temp is for this mondays track day.

·
Registered
288 Posts
tatloon said:
i am wondering if anyone else has had a problem with there cars overheating at the track? i have been running my 06 at a track thats 3.55 miles and had the overheat light come on, so i installed a BE-COOL radiator thinking this would solve the problem and it still did it this weekend. called BE-COOL and they sent me to FRPP tech line and it seems there is a problem with the sending units not reading the right temp!!!!! looks like my car was not overheating at all!!
I road race a lot and I highly recommend the aluminum radiator upgrade. It really helps lower the temps. I also add a pint of water wetter.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mark said:
I road race a lot and I highly recommend the aluminum radiator upgrade. It really helps lower the temps. I also add a pint of water wetter.
radiator is installed and i will try the water wetter on monday. thanks

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I've used water wetter before; but how does it actually help the coolant be cooler?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Waxed'05 GT said:
I've used water wetter before; but how does it actually help the coolant be cooler?
Better heat transfer in the fluid if I understand it right.

And my car ran hotter on the track that day. About 3/4 on the guage, never in the red tho. 1 coast down the straightaway, guage dropped, but 2,3 turns later was right back up again.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I ran with stock psi, 32. The heat had them at 38-40 after runs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dogstar said:
I'm just getting started in road racing. How much pressure do you run in your tires?
what tires are you running?

·
Registered
285 Posts
tatloon said:
what tires are you running?
Have a Solo event this weekend, I'm taking my 06 just to see how well it handles. Performace wise, it's all stock except for the CAI, and the short shifter.
Usually I drive my 88 5.0. It's all stock for now. I need to replace the rear shocks and all tires. Just can't get enough traction. I run it in the FS class. Bought it about 5 weeks ago for a daily driver and weekend racer. I've been running it between 38 and 40 PSI.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dogstar said:
Have a Solo event this weekend, I'm taking my 06 just to see how well it handles. Performace wise, it's all stock except for the CAI, and the short shifter.
Usually I drive my 88 5.0. It's all stock for now. I need to replace the rear shocks and all tires. Just can't get enough traction. I run it in the FS class. Bought it about 5 weeks ago for a daily driver and weekend racer. I've been running it between 38 and 40 PSI.
is that where you just do one lap at a time? if so that should work. i run Nitto NT01 on the track in half hour sessions and start cold at 30 and end up hot around 38

·
Registered
285 Posts
tatloon said:
is that where you just do one lap at a time? if so that should work. i run Nitto NT01 on the track in half hour sessions and start cold at 30 and end up hot around 38
Fraid so. Here, they set up cones to mark a course in empty parking lots or seldom used airfields. It makes a challenge since the course is different everytime. On the 17th, they will be holding what they call an enduro where we will get to run 3-5 laps. More my style, the more the better. All things considered, I think I'm doing fairly well. I've been running about a 1 sec behind a 97 Cobra in my 88 GT. Like I mentioned, this is new for me, and he's been running at least 2 yrs. It's hard to learn the limits of the car when you run 1 lap at a time, but I'm getting there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts