Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why my base 06 v6 would have a limited slip? Bought it new, no special order. took it for trans and rear diff service, and got a call stating cost would be more for rear end since it is limited slip. I knew that is would not break just one tire loose, always both, but according to the VIN is standard rear end. but the tag on diff has different code. not that i am complaining about it, just wondered if anyone else had seen this? Ford was puzzled too, saying they have not sen one like that.:?:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
The only way a 05-10 V6 has limited slip is if someone changed it, no way to order it that way from factory.

Yes if GT or 11 V6.

·
Registered
11,742 Posts
Does anyone know why my base 06 v6 would have a limited slip? Bought it new, no special order. took it for trans and rear diff service, and got a call stating cost would be more for rear end since it is limited slip. I knew that is would not break just one tire loose, always both, but according to the VIN is standard rear end. but the tag on diff has different code. not that i am complaining about it, just wondered if anyone else had seen this? Ford was puzzled too, saying they have not sen one like that.:?:
i would have to pull the cover off and see for myself. they are clearly different. its common for both rear tires to spin with a open diff, and you can really notice it on a slippery surface, but the power is not there. heres a open diff and a limited slip

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i dont know, all i know is ford called me and told me because the fluid is different and price was different. he thought i had swaped it out, but i bought it new and have not. he said it is wrong axel code for a v6. does not match VIN either. he took a pic with his phoine and showed me. it is limited slip for sure. very odd. not offered in that car. i wondered why it reved so high on highway compared to freinds car. he said none of the automatics in the GTs even came with 3:55's. I had actualy complained to ford when it was under warrantee because at 80 MPH it the tach would be at like 3800 RPM which seamed odd. they looked at me like i was nuts. i checked last night. both wheels off ground they turn same direction, even if someone tried to hold other side.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Sounds like someone slipped up at the factory... In a good way. Does that mean its an 8.8 rear end? Or is it a beefed up 7.5?

·
Registered
11,742 Posts
i would say you made out on that and gladly pay a little extra for the additive :D you can again, pop the cover off and count the teeth. should have had the guy do that when he had the cover off. might have a 4.10 in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts