Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day I went outside in the morning to warm up my car, then about 30mins later I was out the door to leave for work and noticed that there was steam comming out from under the of my car. I quickly turned the car off and popped the hood and saw that there was coolant spewing out from under the cap of the coolant reservoir. I let my car cool down for about 20mins before starting up the car once more to see what was going on. The car was still relatively hot, the temp needle was over the half way mark. I noticed that the fan wasnt kicking on. I spoke to a mechanic and he told me it was either the fan or the thermostat.

I purchased a new fan from AM.com and should arrive today, I will also install a new thermostat just to be sure.

My question is, could there be anything else causing this problem other than the fan or thermostat?

Another person suggested that it could be a sensor.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Super Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
89 Posts
The temp sensor that turns the fan on would be my first thought. If the car was hot and the fan was not on, you can rule out the thermostat, the fan should have been on. A quick check is to turn on the AC, it should also turn the cooling fan on, as it needs more airflow. If the fan works, its the sensor, if the fan does not work its the fan.
This is based on previous cars, if I'm wrong about this relating to the Mustang, someone correct me.

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well the sensor is a possibity and a cheaper way to start, check the dip stick just to make sure you dont have a milk shake looking type oil, if so you need new head gaskets, if the oil appears normal and no water drips on the stick just move to replacing relay for the fan, a new thermostate is always a plus and cheap so not going wrong there, just make sure when you are filling it back up that you get all the air bubbles out, an air pocket in the system can cause the same over heating affects. If the replacing the sensor doesnt do the trick, it could be the blower motor on the fan itself.
Let us know how it turns out once youve replaced the fan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John inNH,
Where do I find the temp sensor? In the event that the fan does in fact work. Also, I will try the fan out by doing what you said about the turning on the A/C before I fiddle around with anything.

PaidInFull,
I will check the dipstick to make sure. In the event that I do find some milkshake, replace the head gaskets.
Also, Where is the relay for the fan? And how do I get all of the air bubbles out of the system?
Blower motor? Does this make the collant circulate?

one more thing, where do I find the sensor?

Thank you both a ton. As you probably have already noticed, I am a begginer with auto mechanics. I have however done all of the work myself. I love this stuff and I find it to be a very rewarding hobby. I haven't dont that much work, I try to do it myself so that I can learn and hopefully someday return the favor and help others out.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
check fuses

Check 2 fuses in underhood box

Remove fuse box cover Look at underside of the cover.

Check fuse number 3 on cover 30amp (for 'cooling fan' in owners guide)

Check fuse number 40 on cover... 15 amp ('engine#2' fuse in owners guide)

(wording on cover has a 4, then a 0 under the 4...meaning fuse #40)

There is also one related fuse in the inside of car fuse box. Fuse #19 (in owners guide)
This is a 5amp fuse for the PCM relays and passive anti-theft system, instrument cluster air bag indicator...but most likely this fuse is o.k. if you have no other problems with car other than overheating and no working radiator fan.

Try these before anything else.

There are two sensors...you asked about.

I don't know exactly where these are...someone else might.
One is called (ECT) engine coolant temperature
Other is called (CHT) cylinder head temperature-this one shown in a technical illustration is passenger side of engine...rear...top of intake manifold...above engine knock sensor(which is on block)

Most likely a fuse is bad, or ECT sensor...which I don't know location of.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
s197gt,
Thank man! I would have never thought of checking the fuses. well, I do know for a fact that the fan works, I McGyver'd it to the battery and it kicks on like a champ. I will take a look at the fuses today when I get home from work. I will post if that did the trick. Now I did find that the wire harness for the fan looks a bit crispy though. I need to check it with a voltage meter to confirm that may be the culprit. however, I will def change out the thermostat and this sensor i beleive you are reffering to.
Motorcraft Coolant Temperature Sensor Direct OE replacement

John inNH,
the fan worked! just not while its plugged into the wiring harness.

PaidInFull,
no milkshake thank goodness!

thank you all a bunch! So far it seems that I am narrowing down my issue. thats a good sign. soon we will pinpoint the problem. thank you all. i will keep you posted as to the fuses and the sensors.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
If you say the fan worked "just not while plugged into the wiring harness" do you mean where the harness plugs into the top passenger side of the fan itself? That little black box thing is the fan relay itself that another member posted above could be bad. If the fan doesn't come on when plugged into that, might be the culprit.

Why are you letting your car idle for 30 minutes anyway?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Fan Relays

Cooling fan relays appear to be inside underhood fuse box
along with two fuses for same.

If you have fried wires...possibly something got stuck in the fan..animal ?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hubkap,
I checked the relay also, the power runs through that aswell. Well I let my car idle in the morning to warm up as I get read to roll out the door to work. I should let it sit for only 15 mins instread of 30 from now on.

s197gt,
the only part that is fried on the wire harness that plugs into the relay is the input part where the fan relay plug goes. I will take photos and post them. I also had checked for an animal or a kid or something but everything seems ok. I also checked the fuses and they all seemed ok as well. sept for one thing, one of the fuses is spose to be 30amp but in the fuse box its 40?

sltwagon,
Where is the fan resistor located?

Where is the Coolant Temp Sensor Located? Also, do you guys know what part of the wire harness I am talking about when I reffer to the one that is fried? I will take a pic and post it, I really think that is the problem. I wonder how much it costs to replace just the connector. I would hate to pay for the entire harness when I dont really need it. Anyhow, Thank you guys for all help!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Sorry, I meant the fan controller, not the fan relay. The fan controller is the piece attached to the top passenger side of the fan shroud where the wiring harness plugs in.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Fan Controller

Member Hubkap seems to be correct.

Just looked at my car and my wiring diagram in Ford Wiring diagram book for this car.

The book shows no controller, and shows only two wires to fan from the fuse box, yet on my car at the connector you are talking about (mounted on fan housing)there are two wires to the fan on the fan side and four wires going to the other side of that connector from the underhood fuse box. There must be some magic device inside that connector...maybe that part has gone bad. Repeat: that part does not show in my wiring diagram but seems to be on the cars. I did not take it apart on my car to see it. Maybe the Ford Dealer shows it in their technical illustration ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
s197gt & hubkap,
I called ford today and they said that part costs 287.93!! eFing bucks! They do not sell just the connector you have to get the ENTIRE harness. I have the part number if anyone can help me find it online cheaper that would be the business. part #: 14290

And I agree, that part is a strange magical creature indeed. It has 2 green wires ( i believe are green) and 2 black wires for ground, but the fan has only 2 wires, ground and power.

so the part that I am looking for is the fan controller. nice. at least i know now what its called.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
s197gt & hubkap,
I called ford today and they said that part costs 287.93!! eFing bucks! They do not sell just the connector you have to get the ENTIRE harness. I have the part number if anyone can help me find it online cheaper that would be the business. part #: 14290

And I agree, that part is a strange magical creature indeed. It has 2 green wires ( i believe are green) and 2 black wires for ground, but the fan has only 2 wires, ground and power.

so the part that I am looking for is the fan controller. nice. at least i know now what its called.
I've looked all over online trying to help and can't find this mysterious part anywhere...you might consider yanking one out of a car at a salvage yard to see if it fixes your issues. Good luck!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.