Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 07 mustang for a couple of months now and I think it is ready to be upgraded. I was thinking either cold air intake, Hurst shifter, or American thunder mufflers (all with or without a tuner- not sure yet). I figure there would be a lot of helpful advice here. Please let me know your thought and if possible include which brand to go with (ie. K&N JLT BBK ect). Thanks I look forward to responses!

·
Registered
784 Posts
the first thing i did with my GT was get axle backs. I would get the JLT/tuner combo, then the axle backs of your choice and last would be the shifter. Hurst shifters tend to rattle at certain rpms. if you want the best get MGW.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
my 3 most satisfying mods were:

1)Supercharger
2)Suspension
3)wheels
4)Exhaust
5)Cai/tune

1 - having the most thrill to 5, the least.

There are a bunch I have never done though like a driveshaft, shifter, gears, but I never felt the need to change out what I have.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
1) CAI/Tuner. Makes the car much more fun to drive and will also add some power. Check out american muscle. JLT cold air and the X3 tuner with bama tunes for like is right around $530. Cant beat this combo.

2) 4.10/3.73 gears. Will make the car pull much harder. Will give you that slam into the seat. Highly recommend the 4.10s

3) Axelbacks for sound.

Three easy and cheap things to do and will make the car sound and perform like a different car.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I third the motion that the JLT intake plus SCT tuner combo from American Muscle (free tunes for life from Bama for future mods) should be your first mod!

After that, the world is your oyster.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
The Tuner

I like the JLT CAI and I run one. Best bang for the buck.
Do yourself a favor and go with the SCT Tuner. To many Top Notch Tuners support this device. I just would not want to see you limit your options down the road.
The first MOD IMO Muflers because soon as you here that exhaust note change you relize there is more HP just waiting to be unleashed. Then you will be shopping for your CAI&Tune soon after.
I run the Brenspeed Tune with good results.
As you can see the Bama guys are happy as well.
But I'm sure we all agree SCT is the way to go

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
6,461 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have a Grabber Orange, Manual, 2007 GT myself. I think I agree with a lot of the people above. The first mod should be a CAI/Tuner. This mod will add tons of driveability, horsepower/torque, pick up some gas mileage, and all around you should notice a night/day difference. My personal favorites are the JLT CAI and Tuner combo kit or the C&L Racer CAI and Tuner combo kit. Check them out:

2005-2009 CAI/Tuner Combo Kit - AmericanMuscle.com

Next mod, I'm a big fan of the exhaust. I would start with an axle-back just for sound and to get some nice 4" stainless steel tips that will fill the rear bumper a little bit better. There are tons of different options, and we have sound clips and customer submitted pictures on each! Check those out here:

2005-2009 Axle-Back Exhausts - AmericanMuscle.com

From there, you can decide what direction you want to go. My personal next move is a set of Kooks long-tube headers with a catted X-pipe. If you pick a "tame" enough axle-back, then it won't get too loud when you add long-tubes. If you pick loud axle-back systems even on a stock exhaust, long-tubes will only make it worse! These headers will add more than 20RWHP and about the same in terms of torque. There's a ton of different headers/x-pipes at different price points, but Kooks are the best out there. T304 USA crafted stainless steel. Mandrel bent with all stainless hardware. They fit like a glove, no modification, no rattles. 3/8" thick CNC laser cut flanges. They're like artwork! :p

2005-2010 Headers -AmericanMuscle.com

From there, you can really decide what you want. I added a Hurst Billet short throw shifter, Ford Racing intake manifold, Ford Racing throttle body. GT500 wheels/tires. There's so many options.

Make sure to sign up for our newsletter so you get all of our emails with ridiculous discounts! You can watch for them on our Facebook page, but email gets exclusive sales. And PM AMStanger if you have 50 posts and we'll send you the AM discount code for AllFordMustangs members, which is 6% off.

You can always call one of our Mustang experts at the toll free hours and number listed in my signature below! Good luck and enjoy your build!

Chris

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
. . . . My personal next move is a set of Kooks long-tube headers with a catted X-pipe. If you pick a "tame" enough axle-back, then it won't get too loud when you add long-tubes. . . . .
I've been drooling over those for a while, gotta save my pennies . . . I bet they will sound sweet with my Magnaflow mufflers which are a little on the quiet side with the stock exhaust manifolds and h-pipe, but have those awesome 4" packed tips and a deep smooth tone that will probably beef up quite nicely with the headers

to the OP -- I mention this because I think it would be a good combo if you go with the headers.

If you are thinking of lowering it, check out this thread:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-mustang-gt-tech/237841-gt500-suspension-parts-setup-conclusions.html

·
Registered
430 Posts
Intake/tuner combo first, then gears.

I personally think the Airaid CAI is fantastic. And it has a removable insert so you can use it with or without a tune. The fit and finish is excellent. They are the same as the Roush CAI (Airaid makes them for Roush). The owner of Airaid has an s197 as his personal car, and his CAIs for the 4.6 3V show really good gains even without a tune.

You can't go wrong with C&L or JLT, though.

You have a stick, so I'd go with 4.10s for the gears.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
the first thing i did with my GT was get axle backs. I would get the JLT/tuner combo, then the axle backs of your choice and last would be the shifter. Hurst shifters tend to rattle at certain rpms. ....

What he said... minus the mgw as the f'in Hurst was soooooo bad, it soured me on all after market shifters... :O

UNLESS of course you have the money...

then go forced induction and screw the rest... :D

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Airaid construction is un-matched by anyone out there, and their gains have been the same or higher than the competition every time. Airaid is definitely the most underestimated intake in the Mustang market. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
37 Posts
I really love my intake and tune. I have the c&l street CAI and its great if u don't have tuner to start with because it comes with a tube insert so you don't have to run a tune. Once i got a tuner i took it out and it made a really nice improvement. I have a auto and the bama tunes I got from american muscle are great for anything from daily driving to all out performance. I actually didn't get the intake and tune first because i wanted a louder exhaust so i got borla stingers and love them and then later got longtube headers and now the neighbors really love me.:p Gears are a great bang for the buck especially if u can install them yourself. It's really an opinion of what your looking for first whether you want better drivablity, performance, looks or sound. For me I know in time I'm gonna get everything I can for my car so i typically buy things when i find a good deal. Especially if your on a budged:D Best of luck with your stang!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have the JLT CAI and 93 Oct Bama tune from AM and love it. I would recommend this as your first mod then get some mufflers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
All you guys have been great! I will strongly consider all of the good advice. Since “the Airaid CAI has a removable insert so you can use it with or without a tune,” that might be my first move- being on a budget (then get the tuner later). But, I am still unsure. Nevertheless, this has got me thinking about future upgrades. Thanks everyone! Keep the info coming!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts