Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
190,000 trouble free miles on my 07 GT Auto... except for the CD player eating itself when the battery died, I have not had a single problem with this car... just did the factory recomended services and intervals. Recently the rear end started making the grrr noise that sounds like an old 4x4 goin down the road. It drives just fine but the gear noise is obnoxious! Gear oil replacement did not help.
Is this just normal wear and tear and a soon to fail rear end? Is it as simple as a ring & pinion replacement?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
it's probably the axle bearings, they do need replacing sooner or later

·
Registered
274 Posts
190,000 trouble free miles on my 07 GT Auto... except for the CD player eating itself when the battery died, I have not had a single problem with this car... just did the factory recomended services and intervals. Recently the rear end started making the grrr noise that sounds like an old 4x4 goin down the road. It drives just fine but the gear noise is obnoxious! Gear oil replacement did not help.
Is this just normal wear and tear and a soon to fail rear end? Is it as simple as a ring & pinion replacement?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
How did you put 190k miles on a car in 4 years, thats some serious driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bought new 12/21/07. For 3.5years I put up to 1200 mi a week on for work at 50 cents a miles reimbursement rate...mostly 75 mph freeway miles up and down Hwy101 on the central cali coast and getting 25mpg avg since new. Synthetic oil changes every 5K or so..Rearend fluid every 30K..Changed plugs and trans fluid at 110K.Brakes lasted until 168K. Other maintenance items as needed.Getting 45K mikes out of Firestone Firehawk GT 245/50/18's. It still runs perfect albeit not as crisp as it used to be. Just gotta get the rear end thing fixed and were good to 300K!

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
damn dude, you've gotta have some kind of driving record. if you don't mind me asking, what kind of line of work are you in that you do so much driving in your GT?

·
Registered
98 Posts
After 190,000 miles would the rearend need to be looked at? Gears, carrier, clutchpack? I thought our cars made a kind of growl noise from the rear end when the clutch pack in the Trac-Loc Diff was going or if the gear had too much wear. Either way probably time to have a lil TLC done.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just heard from the dealer... need new axle bearings, ring & pinion etc...total rear end rebuild...$2100 for that...$2700 if it needs the new axles too. I guess its been good to me so far and I dont really have a choice since its my daily driver... F**K!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wouldn't think it would need new axles. $2100 seems kinda high... then again it is dealer cost. You could get all the parts you need for a rebuild for easily less than 1000 including the gears. Get a trac lok rebuild kit, new 3.55 ring and pinion, and an installation and bearing kit. I would go this route if you have a reputable shop in your area. I would ballpark labor for a local shop around $90-$100hr, 4-5 hrs labor. That and parts I bet your under $1500. Just my 2c

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
That sounds kind of high. Your axles should be fine unless your bearings took them out. if they tell you they need replaced I would want to see them. those can take some serious abuse. the diff, ring and pinion, and bearing they might need replacement. That's only around $450 in parts. A set of axles are only $360 so that's a lot in labor.
1986-12 Mustang 8.8" 3.55 Rear End Gear Kit, with Ford Racing Gears at LRS - Same Day Shipping!
1986-12 Mustang 8.8" 31 Spline Traction-Lok Differential with Carbon Fiber Clutch Disks, M-4204-F318c at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Agreed with the seems extremely overpriced sentiment. You can get a new ring & pinion, clutch pack and rebuild kit with bearings, races, pinion nut & crush sleeve for around $500. Labor for most places should cost you another $500 or so, or if you have access to a lift, a buddy, a weekend and are feeling really ambitious, you can do it yourself without too much trouble, though it is a bit of work.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
would it just be cheaper to get a Take Off 8.8 rear end and swap it in there?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts