Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was browsing Craigslist today and I came across a powdercoated 8.8 rear end housing with welded axle tubes, relocation brackets and new polyurethane bushings taken off a 05-09 gt for $150, The only problem is I have 4.10 gears and an aluminum driveshaft sitting in my garage because I've been planning on beefing up my existing 7.5. So my question is should I ditch the gears and driveshaft and just invest in the 8.8 or should I just continue with my original plan which was to just beef up the 7.5 till it goes? Also, if I were to do the swap what supplies would I need I'm guessing I would need a new set of 4.10's that fit the 8.8 and a differential but is there anything else I would need?

image.jpg

And this is a picture of the housing

·
Registered
550 Posts
You'll need 4.10's that fit the 8.8 and a differential for it too. Save the driveshaft. You can have them put the Cobra R pinion flange on for you when they install your new gears into the 8.8 and use that aluminum driveshaft.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
for sure go with the 8.8. i did gears and a tlok in my 7.5 years ago. its been and still is good but i still want a 8.8 at some point. since it has relocation brackets if your car is not lowered you might need adjustable rear control arms to adjust the angle of the rear end.

you`ll need a install kit for the gears too. jim c posted a while back the 11+ 8.8 rear ends has the correct flange on it already to match up with our driveshafts. bit i guess the cobra flange is inexpensive

·
Registered
992 Posts
The '05 and up Mustang 8.8 uses 31 spline axles. You can use a 31 spline Trac Lock from another '05 and up mustang or from a F150, but Eaton makes a very good Posi for the 8.8 too. The Eaton Posi is a little stronger than the Trac Lock. There are good and bad installation kits out there. Randy's Ring & Pinion and Tom's Differentials have the good kits. Summit and Jeg's do not sell good kits. Tom's also has good prices on the Eaton Posi and Randy's has the Yukon Dura Grip, which you might want to check out too.

·
Registered
714 Posts
$150 for a 8.8 is cheap cheap cheap.
You can't use your 7.5 gears of course, but the 8.8 may have 410's in it as well, or 373's or something.

The 8.8 pinion flange is probably the 6-bolt cup-style for a gt driveshaft. You may need to change that to fit your driveshaft. if you do, make sure it is changed properly and pre-load spec and torquing procedures are properly followed.

·
Registered
992 Posts
$150 for a 8.8 is cheap cheap cheap.
You can't use your 7.5 gears of course, but the 8.8 may have 410's in it as well, or 373's or something.

The 8.8 pinion flange is probably the 6-bolt cup-style for a gt driveshaft. You may need to change that to fit your driveshaft. if you do, make sure it is changed properly and pre-load spec and torquing procedures are properly followed.
Its just a housing, nothing in it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts