Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Earnhardt Ford (Tempe AZ) on Saturday picking up a cabin air filter for my 05 GT. I bought my GT from this dealer on 12-18-2004 and was the first customer to take retail delivery of a GT in Arizona. I only mention that because I have had a long relationship with the company for fleet trucks.

When the Shelby became available for ordering, I tried to place an order with Earnhardt. They wouldn't return my calls. Even the Fleet Manager I dealt with couldn't get anyone to talk with me about an order.

So, like anyone else I took my money elsewhere and await delivery of a Shelby from a very nice, small, and well run Ford Dealership in Indiana.

While picking up the parts I needed, I told the clerk that I was expecting a Shelby mid-September. He casually mentioned that the dealership had two Shelby's in stock AND that the cars remained unsold. Needless to say I found that hard to believe.

He took me over to the showroom and indeed there was a dark blue Shelby with do not touch signs all over it. He said that had a black Shelby 'out back'. Here's the kicker. You guessed it. The dealership had a $ 90k+ sticker on the car showing a $ 45,000.00 'market adjustment'.

Now I know WHY they haven't sold these cars. I guess they figure some moron with more money than brains will come in and simply write a check. Hasn't happened and won't.

On the way out of the dealership there is a booth of sales guys who try to get a last shot at you. I spoke with one of them and said it was too bad they had a $90k sticker on the Shelby since I was in the market for a Shelby and had one coming from the midwest. His reply was to say he would immediately match whatever price I was paying. I told him sorry Charlie as he got to listen to the whine of my Saleen Supercharger disappearing in the distance.

I offer no opinion as to whether or not this dealer is right or wrong in their desire to maximize profit. At the end of the day though, the market does prevail and these cars will remain unsold at a $90k sticker price.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think the dealer has the right to sell the cars for any price they want to, MSRP is a suggested price. Consumers would have no problems in paying a price below that so why not above.

90K for a Shelby does seem outrageous, I would not expect them to have any takers either, and they should relieve they may rosk offending good customers they have had in the past trying to make a quick buck.

Who knows maybe down the road they will get that if Shelbys become hard to find. A car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
For that price, i would rather buy an Elenor Clone....

·
Registered
317 Posts
What is the MRSP on those?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Thats Viper money!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
pfiandra said:
Elenor clone? i have seen them in the 90-110K range. I think there is one for sale at the Ceasar's Palace forum shops for a 100K

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
STONECOLD said:
Thats Viper money!
Heck, I can buy a Ferrari or a Lamborghini for less than that. I have seen the Shelby up close. One was parked next to me at a car show last week. Personally, I was underwhelmed. I honestly did not see what all the hype was about. You could easily add performance parts that would exceed the specs on a Shelby for far less than what they're asking. What you're paying for is the name. Only time will tell if the money was worth it. You'd probably be better off with other investments if that's what you're thinking about. Cool car, sure. Personally, I'd prefer one of the Foose 'Stangs for just a bit more than what I paid for my GT.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
pfiandra said:
There are 2 dealerships here and both have one. One is sold and the other is going up for auction first part of this week. The sold one has a MRSP of $41k plus change and sold for $65k.

·
Registered
233 Posts
A fellow mustang club member brought one from a local dealer here in Charleston SC for 47k out the door. MSRP + 5k markup + 300 tax + 60 liscense plates . Presold of course. all of their allotment are already sold.

This is a good dealership, local family owned. This is their ownly dealership. I got my 06 GT on aug first for invoice plus got the 1500 rebate from ford. Plus they dont have any dealer delievery charge. you pay negoicated price tax and liscense.
They dont even have any dealer add on pre-installed. They pitch those when you are in the contracts section doing the paperwork.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The dealership I got my GT from said that a guy came in and said when they get the new Shelby to call him and he is willing to pay 75,000.00 for it. I can't imagine...

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a feeling that this is now going to be the normal way, the new way, that they do business. Anything above the Mustang G.T. is going to be above M.S.R.P. Which means the new 325hp Shelby coming out this Jan, or California Special, or any model YOU, happen to like. Dealers are not thinking of Ford Motor Co. or their customers but of themselves.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Patrick said:
really? I thought they were about 43,000
It depends on what we are talking about.....Shelby GT500, Shelby GT or Elenor clone? Kinda lost track of this thread??

I think the MSRP for the Shelby GT500 is around 43K for the coupe. For the Shelby GT (retail version of the Shelby GT-H for Hertz) I haven't heard yet. But it's only putting out 325HP and has the Shelby name - so that will jack up the price. Probably won't be worth the money.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Eric The MadMan said:
It depends on what we are talking about.....Shelby GT500, Shelby GT or Elenor clone? Kinda lost track of this thread??

I think the MSRP for the Shelby GT500 is around 43K for the coupe. For the Shelby GT (retail version of the Shelby GT-H for Hertz) I haven't heard yet. But it's only putting out 325HP and has the Shelby name - so that will jack up the price. Probably won't be worth the money.
I was referring to the GT500. Because I saw the MSRP on them in our local dealership and it was about 43K. They actually auctioned the only one they had about two weeks ago. Some dude got it for 49K. The dealerships' starting bid was 50K. LOL. I don't think they are worth it for that much.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts