Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Water under the back seat after hard rain.

No water on the floor of front seats
No water on the floor of the back seats.
No water in trunk

2008 convertible, cleaned front cowl, and cleared drains at the bottom of quarter panel. Did not resolve the problem. I have also sealed around the back window.

See picture/ arrow for where the water is coming from. This picture is of under the back seat on the passenger side. The water is coming from the side of the car in toward the middle into the rear seat wells. Both sides have the issue.

My next step is to remove the plastic panels and then run some water over the car with a hose. Maybe I can just seal up some holes to prevent water from coming in.

Has anyone fixed this specific issue?

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think you say you cleaned the drain in the quarter panel. For me the water under the seat would be from the cavity in front of the rear wheel, and below the small windows. The drain cannot really be seen/cleaned from the underside and is very hard to see from almost any angle. it is also easily clogged with leaves, pine needles, bugs etc. I would see the water slowly dripping (or see a wet spot) under the car several days after the rain. The cavity would fill to the speaker and pour under the seat.

See these threads. One about the rear window, and the other about the drain issue.

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/for...-2006-convertible-problems-need-guidance.html

https://www.allfordmustangs.com/for...ang-tech/175074-convertible-top-drainage.html

The seal you seem to have taken a picture of looks like it is on the bottom of the car, maybe over the gas tank, I don't see how water is going to come in that way unless you are being amphibious.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Without going out to my car and disassembling that area I cannot say for certain if what you are seeing is 'normal' pathway of the water of not. The design of this part of the car is not exactly ideal. Water is meant to go into much of that cavity where the triangular windows folds into. It is then meant to drain from the bottom. If I remember it correctly there is a large tray under the rear window area that drains through a tube which may be visible from the trunk. That tray should probably never get water unless the rear glass is leaking. That area does not look like the area with your photo.

You should be able to pour water into the area below the small side window, and if the drain is clear it will come out the bottom of the car. This entire area is sealed off on a hardtop car and should never see water. The convertible has a rubber gasket against the glass but it is not a perfect seal (not even close). You may look at that whole area and think that it was never intended to get wet because it is not covered in extra plastic or undercoating or whatever, but that is what they did (or didn't do). Water should not be making it under the seat in any noticeable amount unless something is out of place. They didn't put any extra plastic funnel, tube, tray, or channel under the window. It is just gravity and there is no extra protection on the surfaces. That area just gets wet. If the drain on the bottom is clogged it will fill the cavity up to the level of the seat and pour under the seats. See the other threads for info on cleaning that drain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured out the issue. The convertible top material had a black plastic clip unhooked on both sides of the car that create the channel to keep the water on the outside, and channel down through the fender.

Also the velcro was disconnected from the top that holds it in place. . I re-sewed this back together . I had to sew up a tear and sealed it with goop.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts