Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'08 GT/CS stock, manual transmission with 14,800 miles to date, just purchased a couple of weeks ago - yahoo!. I have been reading the Differential Threads in attempts to spin my knowledge up on what & how to do it. I intend to replace the Diff Cover with Ford Racing Differential Cover -8.8in from American Muscle for ease of drainage later. I still have questions and am seeking advice:

1. According to what I have read, we are to replace the Diff Fluid every 15,000 miles. That seems to be too frequent - is this what most Mustang GT owners perform?

2. Some I have talked to say change Diff Fluid at 30,000 when you change the transmission fluid, what say you?

3. Was considering AMSOil for all fluid changes (oil, transmission, etc.). I have read many posts that highly recommend Mobil 1 synthetic (especially for the oil), what say you?

I welcome any advice that keeps me from venturing down the "Dark Side of the Force".

C'ya
Garry
check 6

Attachments

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Save yourself

Save some money and go LPW for the cover. The LPW allows you to not use a Panhardbar Relocation Bracket 70+ bucks. The FRPP one is nice but with the money you saved you can by your Oil + Cover, and Permatex for the price of the FRPP unit. I change the gear oil at 25,000.

You can find the LPW at JPC Racing.

T Wayne

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T. Wayne, thank you for the "heads up" on savings.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If you want to go with the Ford Racing cover part number M-4033-G2, this cover does NOT require use of a panhard bar relocation bracket.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott2 how often do you change your Diff oil & what type do you use? - Thanks

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

Here at AM, we've had a lot of success using Royal Purple Max Gear oil in our Project cars. Typically, we'll change the fluid every 30,000 miles and that's also being pretty strict and doing the change the same day 30k clicks over on the odometer. As for type weight of oil, we've switched to 75w140 and haven't looked back.

I hope this helps you out!

Shane

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AMShaneLesky, thanks for the info and the change out timing. I am leaning to changing the Diff with a new cover (with ease of fluid change) around the 25,000 - 30,000 mile marker.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Installed 4:10's and RP Max Gear 75W-140 at approximately 14,000 km, now have 25,000 km. Will likely go another 10-15,000 km before I change it.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
OK

T. Wayne, thank you for the "heads up" on savings.
Not a problem and the AM Rep is telling you spot on info Royal P.

To many folks at the NMRA taking these Mustangs to the limit without failer on this subject. So I run a street Mustang and the heat of traffic in the summer, and at HWY speeds and low speeds in town zero issues. Very little break down on the first change look like it did out of the bottle the smell well it was used gear oil for sure.

T Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.