Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang, been awhile since my last post but Ive been reading so I'm still here! Anyways I'm sure if I put in the search time I'd get my answer but I'm short on time so here is my question.... I have a lightly modded vehicle. Not really important. I'm thinking of switching from stock I think right off the top of my head are 3.73(?) rear end gears to 4.10 heard enough good talk to think thats the way I'm headed gears. Whats the 0-100 mph time differenes or 1/4 mile time differenes. Also a bonus question of rpm differenes I travel about 20-25 min.s on the highway one way every day to and fro work. This is my daily driver. Worried about gas use and engine wear. But I heard it is about the same difference as driving with the over drive off in stock gears. OK now your part fellas, and fellaetts and body with some quick info? Wheres StallWagN now?:?:

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
I would go with the 4.10's if it was me. When i had my 05GT with mods, it had the stock 3.55's and i went to 4.30's, to 3.73's. Wish i would have gotten 4.10's or stuck with the 4.30's, especially after the stage 3 cams. I did several 5 hour hwy drives with the 4.30's and it wasn't bad at all. My mpg went down by 2 on the hwy but gained about 1 or 2 in the city. If you go with 4.10's, it'll bump your rpms up by 200-300rpms. Nothing big at all.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump sorry

OK bonus question made, just need the fact's now. Anybody with before and after comparison's of the gears differences, in times?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I dont have any times for ya, but there was one hell of a difference. If you car is auto, the stock gears are 3.31. 3.55s were an option on manuals only, but 3.73s were never stock on a regular GT. I gained a good second on the 0-60 (unofficially, waiting for my sct performance calculator), never did a 1/4mile yet.

Dont worry about the rpm difference. It's minimal, the overdrive makes up for the gear.And the higher ratio gears I'm told actually make it easier on your engine and your tranny.
Got over 25mpg on highway last night with 4.10s and a 93 bama race tune. The problem will be, because your car is going to feel so much faster, you'll probably be getting on it a little more often than before.:winks
To me it's the best bang for the buck. Unless your going with a supercharger, but that's one helluva big "buck" difference

You said lightly modded so chances are you already have one but if you dont and your car is auto, you must get an SCT! First off, your speedo will be off from the gear swap. Secondly, the shift firmness (which is also better for the tranny) is sick. I have Bama tunes and my auto GT feels like a manual when it kicks to the next gear. Before the SCT I would sometimes chirp into second, now my tires squeal when I hit 2nd and again at 3rd. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
281 Posts
+1, on the 4.10s, over the 3.73s, especially if you're going to race the car occassionally, :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sorry, didn't answer your question, son's car went from stock 3.31s with a 5spd, after much debate to FRPP 4.10s. Never ran it both ways to determine the real ET gains. A real expectation should be 2 to 3 tenths, other factors come in, stock tires or slicks, then suspension comes in, leaving at 1,000 RPM or 3,000 RPM. Plenty of RPM left to run the quarter out in forth. We're waiting on the FRPP cams for his car now, about the last change we'll make. Surely there is a magazine test somewhere on this, google it? :?:

·
Registered
6,436 Posts
07 Cali makes a good point.

The 4.10s won't help your ET at all if you don't have some good sticky tires and maybe some UPR Products control arms.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love the 4.10s on my 2009 GT with manual tranny. The car has never been to the track. But it was a night and day difference in feel and enjoyment driving the car. I've hardly noticed a difference in MPG either. If you're cruising in 5th on the freeway you can still get good mileage.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Most of these responses are about switching from stock gears to 4.10's. Now OP do you have stock 3.55 or 3.31 gears? or do you have 3.73 gears in it already? if you already have 3.73 gears just leave it. not much of a difference between 4.10 and 3.73 at all.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Basics

OK just to clear it up I have.....C&L racer CAI, SCT tunner with Bama chips 93 oct torque, race and performance tunes usually drive with the torque, SLP LoudMouth axle backs. Nothing big. Stock auto transmition, running the stock (spelling?) Perrillie Nero pZero's 17" Now the power stuff my sequential tail lights and Rousch quarter window louvers add at least 45HP! And another 10 HP for my half mirror covers. :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts