Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 09 GT with an Edelbrock S/C and a Brenspeed tune, making 430rwhp and 425 ftlbs of torque. Tore up the transmission last night on the interstate. The way I figure it, I can get the original 3650 rebuilt to handle the current hp/torque plus the other mods I have in mind OR I can upgrade to the 6060 6-speed.

From what I've seen for the 6060 $$$, I can get an American Powertrain Patriot 3650Extreme rebuild, any of a number of racing clutches, a one-piece driveshaft, and a higher flow exhaust system.

Any leanings either way and/or input on American Powertrain products?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
interesting, your trans went with only 430 rwhp? it should have handled that and more no prob. i thought they were good for about 600. what exactly broke?

from my understanding, there isnt much you can do to beef up the 3650. if you have reached the limits of the stock trans your best bet is to fork over the dough for the t56/6060. contact D & D performance, they have swap kits. its not cheap though. they may be able to give some insight into any possible 3650 beef ups that may exist. i dont know anything about american powertrain.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The 3650 is rated to handle 365 ftlbs. There are some people that run more tq than that. The way I see it the 365 ft/lbs is more of a shock load. Like a modded car with 360 rwtq and launching at peak torque with traction, is capable of busting up the trans. I would bet the there are more PD blowers and turbo cars busting transmissions than centris and NA cars due to low end torque production. Then again it's all on how you drive it.

The 6060 is strong and shifts well in stock form. There are kits out there that come complete.(clutch,trans,driveshaft,shifter)

I would still rebuild the 3650. The only reason I would go to the 6 speed was if I wanted to go with 4.10-4.30 gears. The first gear in the 3650 is 3.38 and a 6060 is 2.97 Either way the 6 speed car can handle a little more rear gear and be very streetable since it has a double overdrive.

2.97 x 4.10 =12.17
3.38 x 3.55 =11.99
A 6 speed with 4.10 act like a 3650 with 3.55 in 1st gear

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I love my T-56 and it has taken everything I've thrown at it without some much as a wimper. Now I'm replacing the rear diff, but that's better than the trans being the weak link.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crappy part is that I wasn't getting on it, dumping the clutch, or anything like that. I literally just pushed in the clutch to bleed off some speed behind a semi that pulled into the left lane to pass another. The car was already in 5th, I let out on the clutch, and SNAP. Pressed the gas pedal and went nowhere. Downshifted into 4th, which seemed a little mushy. 3rd worked fine. Tried 4th again and everything was cool except for the grinding noise from the gearbox.

It stayed in 5th, so I eliminated the syncros as the cause. It shifts just fine, so I didn't bust the clutch either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. Going to call Pro Motion Monday to check pricing and options for rebuilding the 3650. Sounds like using that shop may save me enough $$$ to get a few more toys! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Glad to see our site sponsors and getting some attention. These guys will take really great care of you and you'll be more then happy with your trans rebuild.

How do you like the throttle response with your system? i run a similar package except i'm auto, got 16,000 miles on it and love it minus the shifting, its not very crispy like how i like my trans (and bacon :laugh:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really can't think of any other word to describe the E-force system except the overused AWESOME! Throttle response is nothing short of amazing.

The boys at Brenspeed told me it would be a totally different car when I got it back, and boy were they right! I got the Stage 0 kit as well, with the GT500 fuel pump.

I've pretty much decided to go with the 3650 rebuild, which will leave me enough $$$ for this shopping list:

SPEC Stage 2 clutch
SPEC billet steel flywheel
FRPP One-piece driveshaft (thought about leaving this off, but still not convinced a two-piece driveshaft doesn't leave a weak point)
BBK longtube header pack from Brenspeed (with BBK shorty X-pipe, high flow cats, and Pypes Violator 304 mufflers)

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
I really can't think of any other word to describe the E-force system except the overused AWESOME! Throttle response is nothing short of amazing.

The boys at Brenspeed told me it would be a totally different car when I got it back, and boy were they right! I got the Stage 0 kit as well, with the GT500 fuel pump.

I've pretty much decided to go with the 3650 rebuild, which will leave me enough $$$ for this shopping list:

SPEC Stage 2 clutch
SPEC billet steel flywheel
FRPP One-piece driveshaft (thought about leaving this off, but still not convinced a two-piece driveshaft doesn't leave a weak point)
BBK longtube header pack from Brenspeed (with BBK shorty X-pipe, high flow cats, and Pypes Violator 304 mufflers)
Sounds like a plan, more HP for your buck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts